M3860idn Jam 0511

Good day All

Any help on this issue will be highly appreciated.

Experiencing constant Jam 0511 on this M3860idn
    When it starts jamming 0511 it will do this for a lot of times after each other but not every day some times

Please see attachment for event log

What i have done

• Replaced all 3 feed rollers. Separation, Feed and Pickup roller.
    • Cleaned sensors at registration and under machine at the high voltage bord
    • Cleaned the other sensors at Fuser and exit just for good measure
    • I do not find anything related to Jam 0511 on service bulletins or on the related parts like cassette or feed assy or anything
    • Firmware is latest 03.06.0010 (none of the firmware mansion anything on jam 0511 or related)
    • Cleaned the Cassette size switch although size detection was not a problem that i could see.

Client have Two of these machines and i have swapped the cassettes to test but jam 0511 remain

My thoughts on this is possible bad clutches but the jams problem when it starts is not every day that will confirm bad clutch, am i correct in thinking this?
    from date 29/05 to 05/06 total prints 3 287 with no Jam 0511

Any help please
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Tech 250+ Posts Ropariva's Avatar

Re: M3860idn Jam 0511

One issue I’ve come across all too often with this generation of machines is paper dust sitting in the void just before the reg roller causing the sensor to throw a multi feed jam. Vac or blow out this void and see how you go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Completely agree with Ropariva above. Have seen this many times. Clean the cavity any time you work on these machines and it will save you service calls. This will cause intermittent 0511 jams and in extreme cases, constant 0511 jams. The cavity he is speaking of is just in front of the metal registration roller of the machine. Manuals do not show a good picture of it. The sensor in the drum unit sees the paper dust as paper and that is what is causing the issue. Once it is cleaned the problem should go away. One other thing we have seen once or twice is the spring on the registration actuator comes out of place so the actuator does not return to the correct position as fast as it should. Just make sure it is in the proper place.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

We have found on this and similar machines for some reason drum rotation is sometimes sluggish causing the same jam code. Replacing the drum unit solved it.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    M3860idn Jam 0511

I also agree with the sensor being dirty with paper lint dust.. I have also had this issue & replacing the primary paper feed clutch for drawer 1 is the fix. You can purchase them individually. part#302LV94161 they are inexpensive

Here’s one I had last week. Note the vast amount of fine paper dust covering the entire insides of the paper path. The void area was almost completely white.

Thank you so much for all the replies, ill do a proper check on these scenarios suggested and give feedback on my findings.

I would like to double check all the options before ordering and replacing any parts.

Visit the client today and this was my findings.

The cavity that the sensor align with indeed had paper fluff in it. See photo.

Without cleaning anything I tested the machine and had 1x Jam 0511 within 20 prints. After cleaning the cavity and sensor under the drum unit without cleaning anything else client printed 86 pages with no jams.

Think this is proof enough that it indeed is the cause of the problem. Worthy note is that the amount of fluff on the photo was accumulated in less than a week. I recommend to the client that they definitely going to need to buy better quality paper to avoid this problem happening too often.

Thank you everyone for the assistance.

Sent from my SM-A736B using Tapatalk

Thanks for getting back to us with your findings. Seems there are many brands of paper now that are either very dusty or look to have had their edges cut with a chainsaw