Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    CS-2560 FIRMWARE UPDATE

CS-2560 FIRMWARE UPDATE

Working mostly on Ricohs but I have a customer with a CS-2560 I've been taking care of. Their IT guys recently updated the network server to a Windows 2012 server and now they can't scan to a folder. I'm thinking maybe a firmware update may help as it has never been done to the machine. I have never updated firmware on a Copystar but have the manual and have access to KDAConnect. According to the manual it sounds pretty straight forward: download to thumbdrive, turn off machine and unplug, insert thumbdrive in usb port on right side of ocp, plug in, turn on and update will occur. Is it that simple? Anything else I should be doing? I don't want to go there and screw up the machine more than it is! Any tips appreciated. Thanks

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    CS-2560 FIRMWARE UPDATE

Re: CS-2560 FIRMWARE UPDATE

Quote Originally Posted by Old Crow View Post
    Working mostly on Ricohs but I have a customer with a CS-2560 I've been taking care of. Their IT guys recently updated the network server to a Windows 2012 server and now they can't scan to a folder. I'm thinking maybe a firmware update may help as it has never been done to the machine. I have never updated firmware on a Copystar but have the manual and have access to KDAConnect. According to the manual it sounds pretty straight forward: download to thumbdrive, turn off machine and unplug, insert thumbdrive in usb port on right side of ocp, plug in, turn on and update will occur. Is it that simple? Anything else I should be doing? I don't want to go there and screw up the machine more than it is! Any tips appreciated. Thanks

Make sure you unpack the firmware into a folder and then copy the contents of the folder onto the root of the drive. I use drives smaller than 8 gb.

The problem may be that you need to use 445 for the SMB port rather than 139. Simply add :445 to the hostname line. ( including the colon )

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    CS-2560 FIRMWARE UPDATE

OK two dumb questions: how do you copy the contents to the root of the drive and is the setting change you are talking about on the copier or the server? I am an old copier guy who has been thrust into the "connected world" and am (very slowly) learning new tricks. Thanks again...

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    CS-2560 FIRMWARE UPDATE

Quote Originally Posted by Old Crow View Post
    OK two dumb questions: how do you copy the contents to the root of the drive and is the setting change you are talking about on the copier or the server? I am an old copier guy who has been thrust into the "connected world" and am (very slowly) learning new tricks. Thanks again...
    The firmware will download as a compressed file. You run the file and that will extract the firmware folder. Copy the files in that folder onto the root of the USB drive.

The SMB port setting is in the hostname field in the addressbook entry for each smb scan destination.

It's unlikely that a firmware update will resolve your scanning problem.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    CS-2560 FIRMWARE UPDATE

I will try what you suggested and see if that works before updating firmware. Will let you know the results. Thanks again

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    CS-2560 FIRMWARE UPDATE

The Stratos is new enough that you should have a specific line to select the SMB port, within the addressbook entry.

Use the full firmware, not the Turbo. The difference is that the Turbo only updates files that are changed. The full firmware overwrites all files.

The thing about firmware is you never want to shut down the firmware until it says "Complete" on the screen. Ordinarily it takes about 10 minutes for the firmware to load, but if it's not complete yet, wait until it is. It could take as much as an hour. It's much harder to recover from crashed firmware, so wait until it finishes. I usually use the smallest USB that will hold the firmware (500MB I think). And yes, firmware probably won't help an SMB scanning problem ... but it won't hurt either. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=