Technician

Question Prescribe command to move the print image left to right and up and down

i have a customer that prints on a pre-printed form "HEALTH INSURANCE claim form cms 1500"
    the print information comes out a litte to the left

i dont remember the prescribe command to move the printed image to the right side and up or down,
    the software that they are using to print the forms does not have the ability to adjust the aligment like "quick books" or other softwares.

i have done this before but has been years since last time.

the machine is a M2540 using the bypass tray.

thanks for any info!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts PrintWhisperer's Avatar

Re: Prescribe command to move the print image left to right and up and down

You should begin in U034 LSU OUT LEFT->MPT and adjust as necessary.

You can not simply set margin setting commands to effect a job which is already encoded (e.g. PCL code from driver or app) because they are Print Environment settings that are removed with the PCL (%-12345X) reset at the beginning of the job.

You have to have a filter written to find the existing margin commands, remove them, and substitute proper ones--problematic.

You may also try changing the R3 parameter "Default Margin settings" to option '1' 'Full PCL Printable Area':

!R! FRPO R3, 1;STAT1;EXIT;

Check the outputted status page for the parameter to have changed.
    "Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn" - Benjamin Franklin

Technician

Thumbs up Re: Prescribe command to move the print image left to right and up and down

Quote Originally Posted by PrintWhisperer View Post
    You should begin in U034 LSU OUT LEFT->MPT and adjust as necessary.

You can not simply set margin setting commands to effect a job which is already encoded (e.g. PCL code from driver or app) because they are Print Environment settings that are removed with the PCL (%-12345X) reset at the beginning of the job.

You have to have a filter written to find the existing margin commands, remove them, and substitute proper ones--problematic.

You may also try changing the R3 parameter "Default Margin settings" to option '1' 'Full PCL Printable Area':

!R! FRPO R3, 1;STAT1;EXIT;

Check the outputted status page for the parameter to have changed.
    Thank you PrintWhisperer!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

You can adjust the print by using the FRPO "L" settings. Syntax is !R! FRPO L"X", VALUE; EXIT; L1 / L2 is top margin inches/100, L3/L4 left margin inches/100. Default should be something like 0/50/0/50 and can be found on page two of the service status page. Your normally would not adjust L1 and L3, so a typical command to move print down and right slightly from a default setting of 0/50/0/50 would be: !R! FRPO L2,55;FRPO L4,60;EXIT; If you need to move up or left make numbers smaller than the default setting.

Quote Originally Posted by CWP View Post
    You can adjust the print by using the FRPO "L" settings..
    Only if the job is text only or has no margin/VMI commands of its own, which is NOT typical.
    "Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn" - Benjamin Franklin

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Only if the job is text only or has no margin/VMI commands of its own, which is NOT typical.
    I would ask that you try adjusting print position with the L parm. It will move Windows formatted print data (as well as others). I have frequently used it for this very reason with the forms that just don't quite line up properly and the end user does not want to (or know how to) adjust it through the host program.

Quote Originally Posted by CWP View Post
    I would ask that you try adjusting print position with the L parm. It will move Windows formatted print data (as well as others). I have frequently used it for this very reason with the forms that just don't quite line up properly and the end user does not want to (or know how to) adjust it through the host program.
    Do you mean A1/A2 and A3/A4? (Maybe I remember they were once labeled 'L' IDK)

...but this ignored in some emulation modes and will differ slightly in various emulations?

You are way off in the weeds son...confuses the straights. We don't even have an App name or data format.

U034 and R3 will give you some control without relying on special circumstances.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Do you mean A1/A2 and A3/A4? (Maybe I remember they were once labeled 'L' IDK)

...but this ignored in some emulation modes and will differ slightly in various emulations?

You are way off in the weeds son...confuses the straights. We don't even have an App name or data format.

U034 and R3 will give you some control without relying on special circumstances.
    Definitely L margins, and because they are "FRPO" settings (Firmware RePrOgram) they will remain as set until changed or reset. A Windows print job will not reset or change them.