Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Geo's Avatar

420Ii tray error.

Hi All

Have a 420i that does not lift the paper on both trays. Error message is to remove paper from rear of cass. Did the usual , checked the switches ,feed assy,connectors , 906 and flashed firmware. So, am I looking at the engine board, and should I replace both lift motors?

Thanks much

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Re: 420Ii tray error.

Did you actually remove the lift motors and examine them. The casing on those crack and the tray does not couple, therefore errors. Pull the motors off from the back, examine them . While removed, power on the machine and see if the motors is turning. Sometimes, the coupling may not turn, as the broken parts are inside the casing. The real method is to check for the 24v to the motor and use the motor test and check for the on and off signal to the motor [ using your meter ].

engine pwb Y8

A17 UPLIMOHI 0/24 V DC LM1: On/Off
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Quote Originally Posted by subaro View Post
    Did you actually remove the lift motors and examine them. The casing on those crack and the tray does not couple, therefore errors. Pull the motors off from the back, examine them . While removed, power on the machine and see if the motors is turning. Sometimes, the coupling may not turn, as the broken parts are inside the casing. The real method is to check for the 24v to the motor and use the motor test and check for the on and off signal to the motor [ using your meter ].

engine pwb Y8

A17 UPLIMOHI 0/24 V DC LM1: On/Off
    I didn't remove the motors, but I did the quick check and pushed in the lift switches and there was no movement on either lift.motors. Also I manually activated both switches on the feed unites and the error message did not change.

Thanks

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    I didn't remove the motors, but I did the quick check and pushed in the lift switches and there was no movement on either lift.motors. Also I manually activated both switches on the feed unites and the error message did not change.

Thanks

Remove tray 1 lift motor from the frame . Run the motor test simulation and hold the motor in with your hand, if the motor is working, you will feel the vibration. But as i said, you should get your meter and test for the voltage and signal to the motor, as this will indeed verify if it is the motor or the engine pwb. Also is the copier working, can you copy using the bypass.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Hi All

Cass one lift motor was defective and completely took down the engine PCB lift circuit.to play it safe I replaced both motors , did a 906 and luckily everything started working. What I am VERY surprised about is that the defective lift motor DID NOT take out any PCB's.

Cheers

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    420Ii tray error.

Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    Hi All

Cass one lift motor was defective and completely took down the engine PCB lift circuit.to play it safe I replaced both motors , did a 906 and luckily everything started working. What I am VERY surprised about is that the defective lift motor DID NOT take out any PCB's.

Cheers
    Quite often they do take out the engine PWB. It starts with one tray that won't lift. The tech swaps lift motors, now they both won't lift. This is usually the point where another tech gets called in, and not able to truly figure out what preceded, the only path to success is to replace the engine PWB and two motors.

Congratulations. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Quite often they do take out the engine PWB. It starts with one tray that won't lift. The tech swaps lift motors, now they both won't lift. This is usually the point where another tech gets called in, and not able to truly figure out what preceded, the only path to success is to replace the engine PWB and two motors.

Congratulations. =^..^=
    Hi Blackcat

This is what surprised me , the defective motor DID NOT take out the PCB ( SOP on the 3035) . I wonder if Kyocera modified the circuit,made the PCB more robust (Kyocera doing something smart???) or I just got plain lucky.

Cheers
    Geo

P.S. I was the only tech on this call.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    420Ii tray error.

I'm leaning towards luck. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=