Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    ECOSYS P3055dn "Load paper in cassette 1 Letter Plain."

This one had an unexpected conclusion:

So yes, it's a P3055dn with the LCT, and the enduser only uses it to print checks. And it works fine if you load only 800 or so checks, but if you load the full 1360 right up to the line, you get "Load paper in cassette 1 Letter Plain." or a paper skew.

She hands me 1000 or so checks and says: "... the paper is nothing special ...". It looks pretty special to me: 8 1/2" x 11" Letter, sure, but pre-printed on both sides, pre-perforated all the way around the edges and two lines down the middle, and pre-gummed around the edges. When you stack 1360 pages in the tray the additional thickness attributable to the perforations and gum add 10mm to the height at the front and rear edges. When it lifts, the upturned front edge hits the feed shaft before it touches the pickup roller and raising the two together, so the pickup roller isn't even contacting the stack. The printer is too dumb to identify a jam, but it assumes that the paper must be out, and recommends loading paper to the other tray.

Let's see:
    So if the check paper is 105.87gsm, the stack should be (0.147mm x 1360 = 200mm) plus 10mm more for perforations and glue (0.0073mm x 1360 = 10mm). Each sheet is 0.1543mm at the edge, 0.147mm at the center. And we'd like the center of this 1360 sheet stack to be 10mm taller for the stack to be flat... how can we do that?

What if you were to cut a couple pieces of handy cardboard, 11" x 4" and 11" x 3", stacked them on the lift plate in the feed direction down the center and taped them down (like they could blow away with 1360 pieces of paper on them). The center of the stack is ~7mm taller, and it seems to solve the issue. To be thorough, I removed most of the paper leaving 50 or so sheets, and they all feed out (except for the cardboard of course), then you get the same "Load paper ..." message, and by then you actually need paper.

Customer is good with it. The other choice is just loading less checks, or finding some flat ones. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: ECOSYS P3055dn "Load paper in cassette 1 Letter Plain."

I'm unsure if you're going the extra mile for your customer or that you've become bored with working on copiers and need a challenge.

Job well done, my man.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    I'm unsure if you're going the extra mile for your customer or that you've become bored with working on copiers and need a challenge.

Job well done, my man.
    Maybe both, in equal measure? =^..^=

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    This one had an unexpected conclusion:

So yes, it's a P3055dn with the LCT, and the enduser only uses it to print checks. And it works fine if you load only 800 or so checks, but if you load the full 1360 right up to the line, you get "Load paper in cassette 1 Letter Plain." or a paper skew.

She hands me 1000 or so checks and says: "... the paper is nothing special ...". It looks pretty special to me: 8 1/2" x 11" Letter, sure, but pre-printed on both sides, pre-perforated all the way around the edges and two lines down the middle, and pre-gummed around the edges. When you stack 1360 pages in the tray the additional thickness attributable to the perforations and gum add 10mm to the height at the front and rear edges. When it lifts, the upturned front edge hits the feed shaft before it touches the pickup roller and raising the two together, so the pickup roller isn't even contacting the stack. The printer is too dumb to identify a jam, but it assumes that the paper must be out, and recommends loading paper to the other tray.

Let's see:
    So if the check paper is 105.87gsm, the stack should be (0.147mm x 1360 = 200mm) plus 10mm more for perforations and glue (0.0073mm x 1360 = 10mm). Each sheet is 0.1543mm at the edge, 0.147mm at the center. And we'd like the center of this 1360 sheet stack to be 10mm taller for the stack to be flat... how can we do that?

What if you were to cut a couple pieces of handy cardboard, 11" x 4" and 11" x 3", stacked them on the lift plate in the feed direction down the center and taped them down (like they could blow away with 1360 pieces of paper on them). The center of the stack is ~7mm taller, and it seems to solve the issue. To be thorough, I removed most of the paper leaving 50 or so sheets, and they all feed out (except for the cardboard of course), then you get the same "Load paper ..." message, and by then you actually need paper.

Customer is good with it. The other choice is just loading less checks, or finding some flat ones. =^..^=

This paper is clearly out of spec.

if this was me i'd load plain paper show the customer the printers works fine fully loaded then load her "special' paper the fault returns.

I bet with your carboard trick you'll run into more issue down the line especially as the paper is pre-gummed!
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    This paper is clearly out of spec.

If this was me, I'd load plain paper, show the customer the printers works fine fully loaded, then load her "special' paper the fault returns.
    I'll bet with your cardboard trick you'll run into more issues down the line, especially as the paper is pre-gummed!
    Quite possibly. I expect that the ink from the pre-printing will contaminate the rollers (the towel came away teal green after cleaning the rollers, incidentally the same background color of the checks).

I checked with the micrometer, and the pre-preforations and gum are both measurably thicker than the other areas of the page. But I've done what I can, more than most would have.

I had a similar situation years back when a school district wanted to print 750 consecutive paychecks on and HP LJ 9050 with LCT (8 1/2" x 11", Letter, pre-perforated, pre-gummed, and a translucent window slightly front of center). I was less successful with that one. The window added 25% to the paper thickness front of center, so by the time you stacked up 750 of them, the paper empty flag had dropped at the rear telling you there was no paper. If tray #4 had not been a tandem LCT I could maybe have turned the paper Letter-R ...
    Another non-standard media situation. It helped to extend the PE flag 3mm. =^..^=
    Last edited by blackcat4866; 03-28-2021 at 05:12 PM.