Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

eco p3150 continuing image quality problem

Hi, I just wanted to try again with this submission. Seemed to have problems with this unit since it was put in January. I have an attachment when magnified it looks as though miniature lightning bolts are zapping the toner making little spikes downward from the print. It is original toner. I have cleaned the entire paper path, contacts, transfer roll, static teeth, charge roller, and around drum blade. I tried upper and lower adjustments to transfer, charge roller, density, and performed drum refresh. Had no change.  I returned and put in a brand new transfer roller. It didn't eliminate the problem, but seemed to reduce it at the time. I don't know if it will get bad again.  Earlier it was getting bad build up on the pressure roller. I don't know if it might be related. I replaced the fuser, heavy build up went away, but still had a few specks show up. I would have expected that it shouldn't come back at all.  Anyway I'm having trouble tracking down info at the moment. Machine only has 87,000 pages, problems started long before.   Thanks for taking time out to look at this.  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    eco p3150  continuing image quality problem

Re: eco p3150 continuing image quality problem

Have you replaced the primary charge unit? I've noticed that after a while the rubber seal on the primary charge unit will "charge up" and attract paper dust and toner, then drag it over the drum. New units don't seem to do this. And cleaning is only a short term fix. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Well, cleaning didn't really do anything in the first place. I called kyocera tech support and sent them a print sample. They couldn't say for certain either. They suggested replacing the drum. I still can't see why it would happen at such a low page count.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

what does the power situation look like?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts PrintWhisperer's Avatar

There was a fuser mod for wear around 250k but this looks more like some transfer scatter I have seen in certain applications. It was once described as 'Flares' and they are always in the trailing direction. I imagine toner piles being scattered by static pressure going into the transfer roller.

The angle of attack is to thin out the toner pile and if necessary slow the machine down some.

The only way to get at this is driver settings.

Set the KX driver to KPDL mode and in Preferences go to the Imaging Tab and there are a few things to experiment with;

1) Half Speed Mode
    2) Graphics Button - Line Thinning/Correct Fine line
    3) Print Quality - Draft/Custom

You should be able to get a reasonable reduction in the defect.

By the way, any altitude or humidty factors pushing the limits here? Is it very dry or high where the device is?

GL!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

This is in a typical midwestern temperate zone. No particular sustained extreme. I’ll try those settings. I’ve never seen them before. There’s something I wonder still. It does it on internal prints too. Will driver settings correct this also ?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

No. internal prints eliminate the driver.

So it's a lot to read, am I correct that you replaced toner, fuser and transfer roller but not drum or dev unit? I would try those (drum first) definitely and submit under warranty.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts PrintWhisperer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JR2ALTA View Post
    No. internal prints eliminate the driver.
    I was not saying it is caused by the driver, only that driver settings have been seen to make it better.

Believe me, I chased this on 2 different occasions, once even with a special production transfer guide. That case was more pronounced on label stock.

In the other case I believe local firmware was written. All of which I would expect to have been worked into this model.

You can try setting the media type up/down as well to see if it effects it.

seems like youve eliminated most of the issues of it being the machine. i would look at taking a different brand of unopened ream of paper and checking to see if the bleeding of toner is still consistent. Also would check the texture of the paper even if its normal 20lb.

If the texture is different even though the paper is the same weight print whisperer is right on. You'll have to slow the machine down so the fuser can get a consistent bond with the toner to the paper