Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Scanning to Macs

Not familiar with them at all and avoid them at all cost but some people just have to have them.

Can someone give me quick rundown on what the settings are supposed to look like when scanning to one? I thought MACs didn't support SMB anymore?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Technician

Re: Scanning to Macs

On a Mac you can use Scan to smb, Scan to email or use the Image Capture program that comes with Macs.
    Image Capture is the easiest and quickest to setup but does not work with older model copiers/MFPs.
    Which you use will depend on what your customer likes.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Scanning to Macs

Quote Originally Posted by Necrocannibal View Post
    Not familiar with them at all and avoid them at all cost but some people just have to have them.

Can someone give me quick rundown on what the settings are supposed to look like when scanning to one? I thought MACs didn't support SMB anymore?

Thanks

I have a Mac here at the office and I just set up a Kyocera to scan to folder. I actually find it easier to set up on a Mac than a Windows Machine.

Start by clicking on the apple icon on the top left of your screen. Select preferences>Sharing. Add the folder that you created on your desktop. Add the user.

Then go to Command Center. Enter IP address for host name. Enter name of shared folder. That's it. Test it and you should be good.

I'm going by memory....
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    I have a Mac here at the office and I just set up a Kyocera to scan to folder. I actually find it easier to set up on a Mac than a Windows Machine.

Start by clicking on the apple icon on the top left of your screen. Select preferences>Sharing. Add the folder that you created on your desktop. Add the user.

Then go to Command Center. Enter IP address for host name. Enter name of shared folder. That's it. Test it and you should be good.

I'm going by memory....
    So you don't have to put the username and password in the Command Center? Also the path is just the name of the folder? Nothing like smb://networkcomputer/networkshare?

The only ones I have ever set up and made work had to be setup that way and it was a PITA to make it work.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Scanning to Macs

Quote Originally Posted by Necrocannibal View Post
    So you don't have to put the username and password in the Command Center? Also the path is just the name of the folder? Nothing like smb://networkcomputer/networkshare?

The only ones I have ever set up and made work had to be setup that way and it was a PITA to make it work.

Sorry, I forgot about user name and password.

Yes, on a kyocera the path is simply the name of the folder.

It's easy peezy.
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    Sorry, I forgot about user name and password.

Yes, on a kyocera the path is simply the name of the folder.

It's easy peezy.
    Sounds pretty simple, actually sounds almost exactly like a Windows set up except making the folder and setting permissions is just a little different. Thanks for the information, I am going to try this next time I find a MAC out in the field.

Technician

On Mac OS where you share the folder there is a button "Options" right above the box where you see the users for the shared folder.
    Click it. You have to tick off something in the new window too. (There's only one thing you can tick off).
    And don't get tricked by the username. I always check it under Useres and "extended" when holding the ctlr button you know.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by i-have-no-clue View Post
    On Mac OS where you share the folder there is a button "Options" right above the box where you see the users for the shared folder.
    Click it. You have to tick off something in the new window too. (There's only one thing you can tick off).
    And don't get tricked by the username. I always check it under Useres and "extended" when holding the ctlr button you know.
    Thanks! I know nothing about MACs.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

So I finally got around to messing with this and got it to work, I just needed some direction so thanks everyone! There was only one step that wasn't listed and that was to add file sharing under the options tab for my account, even though it is ticked to the left. Rest was easy.