Starter toners vs standard toners. Are they the same?

Hi everyone!

I have a quick question about starter toners, shipped with Kyocera devices. Are they the same as standard toners? I know how many pages starter toner can print after first run (after DV is filled - this info is in manual). But what if I used starter toner in printer that has DV already filled? I used to work with HP printers, where OEM toner rated page yield was clear. Does anyone know what exactly Kyocera puts inside as starter? Can this information be found anywhere?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Starter toners vs standard toners. Are they the same?

That's a good question. When in doubt, just go by the book.

According to manual, starter toner after first time run lasts for about half of a standard toner (as an example i take P3155dn with TK-3190 toner). Same thing with color printer P6230dn. That would mean developer unit takes half of toner at first run. So i guess starter toners are the same as standard toners?

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Often manufactures that box toner in with low end consumer models, that you can purchase at big box stores, ship the machines with "Starter Toner" so that the home user will have toner to use when they unbox the printer. It allows them to reduce the price of the printer to be more competitive. They are the same as the regular toner. Some customers would not buy the printer if they had to pay for the more expensive "Full" toners. Once they have used the printer and like its quality they are more willing to pay for the full toner cartridges.

Lexmark used to do that with their low end inkjet printers and might even still do so. A full set of regular ink cartridges actually cost more than the wholesale price of the printers. To appease customers, they came out with lower priced cartridges. And screwed the customer at the same time, 25% lower price for a cartridge that had 50% less ink.

Thanks for the answers, guys!

Kyocera is something new to me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only device Kyocera ships without toners is TASKalfa. Every other device I had in my hands during past few weeks had toner installed.
    The reason I'm asking is that I have opportunity to buy a lot of starter toners from company that uses it's own brand and removes starters. The price is good and I'm the OEM type of person

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PrintSquint View Post
    Thanks for the answers, guys!

Kyocera is something new to me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only device Kyocera ships without toners is TASKalfa. Every other device I had in my hands during past few weeks had toner installed.
    The reason I'm asking is that I have opportunity to buy a lot of starter toners from company that uses it's own brand and removes starters. The price is good and I'm the OEM type of person
    The price should be roughly half that of full priced toner. If much more than that Run Forest Run

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I had a same question a while ago, so I weighed. Both has the same amount of powder. However printer knows it is a starter toner because it reports inserted toner as TN-xxxxS. Probably this info is embedded in a chip.

Then naturally raises the question of whether printing is affected in any way?
    I personally do not know the answer. If I should guess it, then - no. Feeding a printer with starter toners only should be fine.

I ordered full toners TK-5270 and Kyocera Ecosys P6230dn printer. Device and toners should arrive around friday. I asked around people working with Kyocera printers and no one noticed letter S when using starter toners. Also, no one knows if starters are the same as full toners. @diedux What program is this screenshot from?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PrintSquint View Post
    I ordered full toners TK-5270 and Kyocera Ecosys P6230dn printer. Device and toners should arrive around friday. I asked around people working with Kyocera printers and no one noticed letter S when using starter toners. Also, no one knows if starters are the same as full toners. @diedux What program is this screenshot from?
    I guess no one noticed because on the printer itself it is nowhere to be found. The printer reports it through SNMP. Again, if no one noticed it - even better! The more likely printer will treat this starter toner as normal.

Almost forgot, the screenshot from Print Audit IDE.
    More obvious comparison:

Been busy lately, but here's some info about TK-5270 toners:

1. TK-5270K Black - Starter: 229g
    2. TK-5270K Black - Standard: 323g
    3. TK-5270C Cyan - Starter: 179g
    4. TK-5270C Cyan - Standard: 231g

I'm waitng for TK-5280 and TK-3190 to arrive. I will keep You updated.