Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Kyocera fs-c5250dn ask for toner replacement even if the toner is fresh new

Hi,
    I have an issue with this this old Kyocera 5250 model where it asks for toner replacement right after a fresh toner change.

This happened specifically for the black toner (a TK-590 K model), right after an drum cleaning (refreshing?) through the service mode of the printer (inside the printer menu: Adjust/Maintenance -> Service -> Drum), it first said "low toner" and right after a status page printing (which detected close to 0% black toner level, while a few minutes earlier was detecting 100%) it asked for a full toner replacement.

The toner is brand new and not original, but this happened in a very similar fashion with the previous toner which WAS original.
    I had a similar thing with the blue toner, but the problem solve itself during my tinkering with the printer (I had to open the printer up to clean belts, developer units and drums to solve some print quality issues).

Can anybody point me where the issue may be? Could it be the developing units position or maybe the drums?

Technician

Re: Kyocera fs-c5250dn ask for toner replacement even if the toner is fresh new

Sounds like the gears that come out and turn the toner augers arent coming out. It's a whole thing to tear it apart to put the upgraded stuff into it. Been a long time but I remember that much. It's also likely the gear where the top lid is attached is broken.

Thanks for the answer!
    If understood correctly, I think the gears are actually coming out properly.

This is on the right side of the printer, where the toner is collected (with the lid completely open):
    right_side_lid_open.jpg

and this is when the lid is being closed:
    right_side_lid_semi-closed.jpg

On the right side is similar (note that I removed the plastic guard that helps slot in the toner cartridges to make the picture more clear),
    lid open:
    left_side_lid_open.jpg

lid semi-closed:
    left_side_lid_semi-closed.jpg

A thing I noticed it that the non original cartridges (black and magenta) have to be fiddled with a little bit to align their gear to the ones on the right side when installing them at first, otherwise the printer just shows a message to "check toner cartridges". The misalignment happens as the lid is being closed.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Kyocera fs-c5250dn ask for toner replacement even if the toner is fresh new

i think before i replaced any parts i would get kyocera toners....

Quote Originally Posted by dalewb74 View Post
    i think before i replaced any parts i would get kyocera toners....
    The printer started with original toners, and the black one (which I still have and presents the same issue) had more that half its toner left (according to the status page).

The problem, as said, started after the refreshing of the drum, which I suspect dumps a part of the toner in the waste tank, but the tank is not filled enough to justify the full depletion of a new cartridge.

Also, the same thing presented itself for the blue, fully original cartridge and solved itself while I was checking other problems.

To give a proper chronology: status page detects full or almost full cartridge --> drum refresh (to solve dirty prints issue) --> printer signals low toner level of a specific cartridge --> a couple test prints are made and print perfectly (status page now detects the previously full cartridge as practically 0% toner) --> printer signals to change the specific toner

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts ntbann's Avatar

Try taking out all the toners with the power off. Close the toner cover and power on. After power up and when it says to install toner put them back in. Have had to do this on a 6535 before for it to recognize toner.

Quote Originally Posted by ntbann View Post
    Try taking out all the toners with the power off. Close the toner cover and power on. After power up and when it says to install toner put them back in. Have had to do this on a 6535 before for it to recognize toner.
    Tried multiple times but it didn't work.

Weird thing though: even when I took out all the toners and powered on, the only toner the printer asked to be changed was the black one.
    Could it be a dirty/malfunctioning black sensor? Maybe on the drum, rather than the toner itself? I'm not sure what exactly to check out for though.

I think the drums are interchangeable maybe move black to cyan?

No difference.
    Is there a way to check/edit the values detected by the chip of a toner, to see if the problem is solvable by resetting the chip? If so, are there any reference material I could check about it?

Are all of the covers closed? I know the add toner overrides cover open displayed on panel.