Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Angry Firmware Issue/ X950

Inherited a Lexmark X 950 for repair. Biggest issue certainly seems related to firmware. 3 phone calls to Lexmark provided no solution. I seemed to know more than they did. This machine has very old firmware version LHS42.P451. The newest firmware is EC6. P618. That's a big jump. The difference in this firmware causes an invalid engine code when trying to update to latest. I understand that this requires restarting while holding down 3 4 and 6 while powering on. However, this still did not allow me to update. So, how do I update this firmware from original all the way up to newest ? Is it neccessary to do it in increments ? Lexmark apparrently doesn't know. Nor could they provide any older firmware. Thanks guys.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Firmware Issue/ X950

Re: Firmware Issue/ X950

Does the unit have the IPDS card installed? If so, the one time I came across this issue, I had to get special firmware from Lexmark. The firmware on the website doesn't include the IPDS part.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Did not look for IPDS crd. Not familiar with it. Tech support should know this up front.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Firmware Issue/ X950

It will be a little plug-in card on the formatter. You could probably take it out, update the firmware, then reinstall it.

I had to do this on a Lexmark (don't remember the model.......might be this one) that we setup. It was purchased with the WiFi and IPDS cards. After installing the WiFi card, the unit complained about a USB device (WiFi card). I pulled it out, updated the firmware, then, reinstalled it and it was fine.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Thanks. Will investigate.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

The solution was to update the firmware through a web browser, not usb.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Firmware Issue/ X950

if it has an IPDS card installed, then you MUST have the firmware for the IPDS. not just the regular firmware as you would put onto just a typical machine. if you are a tech. and log into lexmark to view the firmware versions. you will see one labeled with IPDS in the name of the firmwarm. my bet would be that there is no ipds chip install. i would lean more to the increment update as you mentioned. i ran into the same issue on a newer model the other day. if you are a lexmark tech. and call lexmark support they should be able to provide what you need. my call was escalated to level 3 support who had to create a firmware that allowed me to go from the old firmware, to the middle firmware version, and then i was able to update the firmware to the latest and greatest version from lexmarks website.