Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Lexmark 410dn jamming from tray 1

Hi all. Have this at client. They call me and said it made some noise and jams every page from paper tray. No noise, but sure it jams. Sometimes it pulls as many as 3 sheets inside(like sticking solenoid), sometimes pulls one page and jams it on U-turn(below blue plastic guide inside). I plan to clear/change paper pickup solenoid but I'm open for any expert advices. Paper pickup tyres(rolls) are new and it works without a problem from MP tray(bypass).

TIA,
    tsb
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Re: Lexmark 410dn jamming from tray 1

Solved.
    It was paper tray pickup rolls clutch(ACM clutch).
    Amazingly stupid design!
    Clutch wires run through the heart of printer, manual states you should CUT(WTF) new one cables and crimp them to old wires.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Lexmark 410dn jamming from tray 1

Just did this exact repair on same model. Pain in the ass and yes, very stupid design. Didn't have the little crimp connectors, so, out with the soldering station and heat shrink tubing.

Chief Twiddler 100+ Posts mckinley's Avatar

Hi, If you replace the clutch, no need to use the crimp connectors or soldering. Cut one of the wires on the old clutch and tie it around one of the wires near the connector on the new clutch and unplug the old clutch from the board and pull the wiring through the frame between the black housing and metal, I've replaced loads like that, the harness pulls through easily even though there are lots of other wires to pull it through.
    Happiness Is The Road.

Quote Originally Posted by mckinley View Post
    Hi, If you replace the clutch, no need to use the crimp connectors or soldering. Cut one of the wires on the old clutch and tie it around one of the wires near the connector on the new clutch and unplug the old clutch from the board and pull the wiring through the frame between the black housing and metal, I've replaced loads like that, the harness pulls through easily even though there are lots of other wires to pull it through.
    Hey mckinley, you was inspiring for me at the times I did Toshy. So glad to hear from you and thank you for replying I know you are well of knowledge, man!

Service Tech

I’ve also done this once and yeah cutting wires sounds so wrong. I used the old wire to pull the new one through as well. I had the same problem as you as well. Rubbish design. Lexmark don’t seem to follow one way of doing things. I know they buy in technology from various other manufacturers. I know the cx950 is built on the Xerox work centre engine and others on Konica boxes but it’s so annoying at times. So many model numbers and some machines look identical but have massively different assemblies. MS811 fantastic boxes, then there is the annoying little cx517 that weighs like a fridge.
    Last edited by redzventures; 08-08-2019 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Spelling