Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    MS 710dn Legacy firmware ??

I don't think I've visited the Lexmark forum in the past, I pretty much deal exclusively with Ricoh.... so HELLO all! .

So, I've created an issue for myself here.....I was given a very low use MS710 printer from one of my clients the other day, along with 2 new compatible cartridges. I decided (foolishly) to download and install the latest F/W (March 2020), and it rendered the printer unusable due to "unsupported toner cartridge" (or similar) - which I'm sure will come as no surprise to many of you.
    Apparently it isn't all that uncommon for it to happen even with the Oem cartridges installed when F/W is updated (way to go Lexmark!).
    Anyway, I found a few sites with links to older versions of firmware but they were all dead ends.
    Can anyone help me out with a link to an older version in order to roll it back? I probably need it to be at least 3 years just to be safe, because I know the cartridges I have are roughly that old.
    Or (and I doubt this is possible) can the printer be reset back to factory and therefore the F/W it came with?

Any help/ advice is much appreciated.

Cheers!

Re: MS 710dn Legacy firmware ??

Well, It seems that a source for Older F/W is more difficult to get then I thought....but just to update and close out this thread, I did manage to secure a few toner chips from a supplier some time ago, that confirmed they were compatible with the latest F/W. Once installed on the cartridges my printer has been revived.

Happy New Year to ALL!

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Enjoy to read and thanks for following up Brother!
    Happy New Year
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

A few years ago I supplied toner carts for a school district and they had about 200 Dell 2335dn printers. They are rebranded Lexmark. When the firmware was updated, the carts would no longer work. I called Static Control, the company that made the chips, and they told me they were working on a solution. They told me that Lexmark used military-level encryption on their chips and it was difficult for them to read the chip and make a compatible. About a year later they were finally able to do it. That's been several years ago, I don't know where it stands today.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    Well, It seems that a source for Older F/W is more difficult to get then I thought....but just to update and close out this thread, I did manage to secure a few toner chips from a supplier some time ago, that confirmed they were compatible with the latest F/W. Once installed on the cartridges my printer has been revived.

Happy New Year to ALL!
    Mind messaging me the supplier for the chips?

Quote Originally Posted by nanohitmen View Post
    Mind messaging me the supplier for the chips?
    This was a company that just did me a solid.
    They don't specifically sell cartridge parts/chips. They sell Genuine, and aftermarket parts and supplies and they also remanufacture cartridges, and my Rep did me a nice favour, and sold me 3 chips.

As stated by Billy, I'm sure that Static Control's are current by now as well.
    I used to have an account years ago, but not anymore, and I think you have to buy 10 minimum. At $25+/- each, that's more than I wanted to spend, when I 'd never have a use for 7 of them.
    Ink jet & laser toner cartridge supplier | Static Control