Thread: Firmware PSA

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Firmware PSA

Firmware PSA

Do not update firmware on Lexmark MFP/Printers if you are using none OEM cartridges. A few models I work on no longer wanna take reman cartridges and I highly suspect it's the firmware. Tested it on a few machines with old/new firmware and the ones running older firmware took the cartridges while new firmware machines either error out or say to remove non compatible cartridge.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Firmware PSA

Re: Firmware PSA

Use OEM supply - problem solved.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Firmware PSA

It's common for new firmware to lock out the chip on a Lexmark cartridge. Static Control used to send us stickers to put on the printer that warned the customer not to update the firmware. It's their way of forcing the customer to buy Genuine toner.

On a side note: Lexmark makes some of the most complex toner chips to duplicate. It took Static Control about a year to come out with a new chip that would work with the new firmware.

Edit: A lot of reman carts have chips that are made in China that won't work with the latest firmware. Static Control's chips usually work. They only cost a few dollars. You may want to check with them and all you'd have to do is pop off the old chip and put theirs on.

Ink jet & laser toner cartridge supplier | Static Control

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Firmware PSA

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent128 View Post
    Use OEM supply - problem solved.
    Not my call ,I'm just tech.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Firmware PSA

It's not a tech's job to "make the printer work" outside of manufacturer specifications.

With that being said.......I don't believe the manufacturer should lock out aftermarket supplies. As shitty as a lot of aftermarket supplies are.

HP is doing it AGAIN and they were called out for it before and they backpeddled and stopped locking out aftermarket supplies.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lance15 View Post
    It's not a tech's job to "make the printer work" outside of manufacturer specifications.

With that being said.......I don't believe the manufacturer should lock out aftermarket supplies. As shitty as a lot of aftermarket supplies are.

HP is doing it AGAIN and they were called out for it before and they backpeddled and stopped locking out aftermarket supplies.
    I believe HP was actually sued and have to pay big fines in some European countries because of this.
    As much as we techs "like" (read hate) MFPs where some "smart" (read cheap) customers use c.rap aftermarket supplies I also find manufacturers greed equally disgusting.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Firmware PSA

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    I believe HP was actually sued and have to pay big fines in some European countries because of this.
    As much as we techs "like" (read hate) MFPs where some "smart" (read cheap) customers use c.rap aftermarket supplies I also find manufacturers greed equally disgusting.
    Correct they were.
    It was the 'chip software they were sued over.
    They lost a lawsuit years ago about toner formulations.
    So now they are trying the software/firmware route.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk