Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Lexmark printers

Lexmark printers

Hey all, I was wondering what you would recommend as a reliable, efficient black and white lexmark printer these days. I mainly service HP and Kyocera brands, but I am familiar with the lexmark T640 & T650 series machines. I have a customer that can only use lexmark due to the software they use (it's a pharmacy) I tried putting in an HP m601 and I got it to work but it wouldn't recognize the second paper tray properly so apparently the software tech for that customer was correct about recommending Lexmark. I'm just not sure what is a fairly heavy duty but easy to service model with good toner yields (they print over 10k/month). I've kept this T652 going for quite awhile, but sooner or later it's going to need an upgrade.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts mloudy's Avatar

Re: Lexmark printers

M5255. Should be plug and play with their software and pull correctly from the drawers. You may need to turn off tray linking and set the paper types.

You might be able to find new old stock on the M5155 and buy it cheaper.

These will easily run 10K /month. We have them out running 30K per month.

If it is under contract you may want to train them to change the imaging unit. It's dead simple, but you may want to do it for them if they are charge per call and clean it up a bit while you are there. With it being a pharmacy they will not want to be down for more than a few minutes so letting them keep one on hand and changing it themselves would be best.

If they want it cheaper or space is limited then go with the M3250. It will still handle the volume but at a higher cpp.

Pharmacies and car dealerships.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Lexmark printers

There are three types of Lexmark product.

1). White label. You can buy this product from any equipment distributor. Your customers can also buy the same online, including consumables, from a wide variety of sources including amazon. Usually marketed as the consumer buys all parts and supplies and they pay for labour.

2). BSD. This is dealer only equipment with similar specs to the white label product with a different model #. The product is often sold on an all inclusive cpc model. To become a Lexmark BSD dealer you have to make an initial purchase of $25k in hardware plus agree to quarterly purchase objectives. in return for some generous rebates.

3). Relabelled Lexmark BSD product. Typically, with Toshiba, Sharp or Konica Minolta labels on the outside. This product is not sold through the distributor channel and the consumables are keyed so that you must buy from the manufacturer. Usually sold under a cpc contract.

The Lexmark M5155/ M5255/ M3250 is a dealer only BSD product.

Lexmark mainframes are inexpensive but their accessories, parts and supplies can be considered expensive.

You might find a dealer willing to sell you a BSD printer at a fair price just so they can claim the Perks. The toners will likely only be available from a BSD also. The toner for a BSD model is normally much less expensive than the non-BSD version. As BSD dealer I can buy non-BSD toners directly but the price is always higher than online prices.

I think anybody can buy parts for any Lexmark from parts.lexmark.com

I think the additional trays can be bought by anybody.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Lexmark printers

Thanks for the info. It appears the BSD product is what is considered commercial grade. I did some research on these models and they're rather expensive new, but the older version such as the 5155 can be found used with low meters fairly easy and comparatively cheaper. I have the sources to get most anything toner and part wise, so that shouldn't be a problem, but I found more availability and better pricing from the MS810 series. It seems to be a comparable machine and both it and the 5155 appear to be the next model in line after the T650 series and I didn't see much of a difference between them. Any pro's or cons with the MS810 machines?

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Lexmark printers

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Thanks for the info. It appears the BSD product is what is considered commercial grade. I did some research on these models and they're rather expensive new, but the older version such as the 5155 can be found used with low meters fairly easy and comparatively cheaper. I have the sources to get most anything toner and part wise, so that shouldn't be a problem, but I found more availability and better pricing from the MS810 series. It seems to be a comparable machine and both it and the 5155 appear to be the next model in line after the T650 series and I didn't see much of a difference between them. Any pro's or cons with the MS810 machines?
    The M5155 are definitely great laser printers when pushed at high volumes. If you can buy two at low cost, buy a 3rd for a parts machine. I would not be surprised if the fuser from the parts machine is worth more than the cost of a used printer.

A spec check reveals the two printers are basically identical. The MS810 is a white label version of the M5155 but with a higher operating cost. If you prefer the MS810, go with that. Both models were introduced at the same time in Jan 2013.

The MS810 con. Your customers can buy their toner from Amazon.

Comparison of toner cost from one online site.

M5155 $175 for a 35K OEM
    MS810 $396 for a 25K OEM

Toner alone is .005 vs .01584 We can put a M5155 under contract for less than what MS810 customers are paying for just the toner if they are using OEM.

At 10K/ month the toner savings will be $1,300 per year.

Unfortunately printers are not leased as much as copiers so it is harder to find them in good used shape. I have yet to a see a M5155 on any list from the people I buy from. eBay has some "refurbished" for $280.00. I would think there are BSD dealers with M5155 stock that they would like to move them so they can start selling the M5255.