Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Lexmark T640 series bar code chip

I have a customer that has one of these older lexmarks that has a bar code chip in it. The printer is getting kinda old, and since I mainly work on Kyocera and HP I was wondering if any printer techs know if I could upgrade them to an HP M601 series printer that will also do bar codes. I like the HP's for ease of maintaining, but sometimes Lexmarks will do things HP's dont. Will that particular model print out barcodes? Or is there an option that can be added like on the lexmark to give it that capability? Not finding much info online about this. tia

Re: Lexmark T640 series bar code chip

So, he print labels and bar code on label? Any HP printer with speed 40-45ppm will work for you. So, HP M601 is perfect. It is also little bit old. Maybe new gen printer is better option.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Thanks, that's what I was curious about was if it would print them out without having to go install it just to test it. I'm sticking with the M601 series cause 1, I don't think they're that old yet and the ones I sell have low meters in the 20k - 40k range. Secondly, I just prefer the design of the M601 series printer, it's a tried and true design that goes back all the way to the 4000's around the turn of the century (I still have a handful of those out in the field that just won't die). These new HP's though, such as the M608 series, are designed on the cheaper office depot type printers. Look at how they feed paper and how the parts come apart. Plus, the Maintance kits cost more and don't last as long. This is HP's way of lowering the price on the commercial grade printers, by lowering the quality of the printer but raising maintenance costs on the back end, but I'm not partaking of it. Haven't sold a one, I just keep finding low meter M601's to keep putting out.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

what does the mighty google say as far as specs on what it will do??