Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Lexmark X463de fuser replacement

I have a customer that has one of these Lexmark printers that wanted to know if I could replace the maintenance kit on it. I'm not a Lexmark tech, mainly kyocera & HP, but over the years I've worked on some Lexmark printers like the T640/T650 series. Fusers were pretty staightforward and easy to replace on those. How difficult is this X463de fuser to replace? I tried looking online for video's but couldn't find one for this exact model. Seems like many of the small to mid range MFP's that I did see a video for were pretty complicated, with every cover and even the scanner section having to be removed. This seems an overly arduous exercise just to replace a fuser. Since this is an optional task that I can always say no to if I don't feel comfortable doing it, is it worth the trouble? Just a few screws removing the cover on the back is fine, but completely disassembling a machine I have no experience in or back up parts in case I screw up isn't going to happen.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Re: Lexmark X463de fuser replacement

.... the Lexmark X463de is several models ago discontinued. Replacing the fuser is both way too difficult and expensive on this model. Definitely a design flaw that has not been resolved even with Lexmark's current desktop devices.

I tried it once on a dead copier and had to remove so many parts, I was sure I would never get the copier back together again.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

The Series was called X460 so this should be the manual.

Not a piece of cake but I'm sure you've done harder jobs. And credit to Lexmark for including great pictures in their removal procedures.

https://laserpros.com/img/manuals/le...460-manual.pdf

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

it is a chore for sure. not like many of them where you open the cover and remove a couple of screws. this one you will be there for awhile. i think it usually takes me about 30 min.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Yeah. Not pull-out, push-in type. Takes a little work. This design takes me back.........not in a good way.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts mloudy's Avatar

Sometimes on older mono Lexmarks we will inspect the fuser condition and if looks good we will reset it depending on the office environment. There are places like tight doctors offices where resetting them is a better option instead of tearing into them for 45 minutes while you are in the way and nobody can print, copy or scan. I am surprised how long a little Lexmark fuser can run before actually needing replaced.

This model might be due for replacement either now or one more maintenance cycle.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

I am surprised how long a little Lexmark fuser can run before actually needing replaced.
    Had recently one doing over 500k instead of the rated 200k. Indeed a doctor's office

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Quote Originally Posted by mloudy View Post
    Sometimes on older mono Lexmarks we will inspect the fuser condition and if looks good we will reset it depending on the office environment. There are places like tight doctors offices where resetting them is a better option instead of tearing into them for 45 minutes while you are in the way and nobody can print, copy or scan. I am surprised how long a little Lexmark fuser can run before actually needing replaced.

This model might be due for replacement either now or one more maintenance cycle.

... how do you reset the fuser?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts mloudy's Avatar

I think on this model you go into the 2-6 sims and do a Reset Maintenance Counter. Some models this can't be done as replacing the fuser is the only way to reset the message/counter. I did buy a small fuser pwb on Ebay once for a XM5170 to see if it actaully worked and it did. The XM5170 has an easy fuser replacement so I never bothered to order any more.

Resetting PM coutners isn't something we ever did until we started selling the Lexmarks that we had a tear down to replace a fuser.

Quote Originally Posted by mloudy View Post
    I think on this model you go into the 2-6 sims and do a Reset Maintenance Counter. Some models this can't be done as replacing the fuser is the only way to reset the message/counter. I did buy a small fuser pwb on Ebay once for a XM5170 to see if it actaully worked and it did. The XM5170 has an easy fuser replacement so I never bothered to order any more.

Resetting PM coutners isn't something we ever did until we started selling the Lexmarks that we had a tear down to replace a fuser.
    ... I am not interested in the X463. That is too old. I started with the XM1145. Any idea about resetting the fuser on this model and the current XM3250.