Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    XM5163  paper empty in tray 1

XM5163 paper empty in tray 1

My customer has this Lexmark XM5163, saying that the paper drawer. Tray 1 paper empty.
    I can watch the paper lift from the back side and if there is approx 150 pages or less, the lift does not go up far enough for the paper to reach the pickup rollers.
    IF I fill the drawer with 300 or more it works ok ish. but when the paper level gets down to 150 again it starts to feed multiple pages and then says out of paper.
    Not lifting the paper up high enough is the problem
    I blew out the pickup roller assy sensor that detects the rollers are up or down, They stay up until the paper drawer in pushed in, then the rollers drop, supposedly to meet the paper.
    Why is the paper not being lifted high enough? No obstructions that I can see. Once after turning the printer off and back on in did lift a short stack up high enough, but as soon as
    I pulled out the drawer and pushed it back in, same thing. Stops short.
    Is there a motor with an encoder that is failing? The printer does have over 1 million pages on it too. And over 5000 pages have been printed since putting in a new paper feed kit.
    HELP!!
    Please!

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Re: XM5163 paper empty in tray 1

... get rid of this discontinued copier intro Nov 2012 with over 1M clicks on it and pitch them on a new copier.

You solve this problem and there will be a differnt one next week. Lexmark parts are expensive and this model is no longer supported.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

how is it multi-feeding pages when you say it doesn't lift high enough to get to the feed rollers?

Technician

Media Feeder Main Tray Part # 40X7591

This is what you need to replace.

Good luck,

Andy

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dalewb74 View Post
    how is it multi-feeding pages when you say it doesn't lift high enough to get to the feed rollers?
    lexmark pickup roller assy.jpg

The Lexmark pickup unit is kind-of unique animal. There is a torque limiter that provides downward pressure when the tray is inserted, and the pickup motor rotates. The thing labelled as a separation roller doesn't really provide separation. The machine is relying on the paper speed to break the top sheet loose from the rest of the stack. On #16 to #24 media it works pretty well.

As the tires get slick, you can get both misfeeds & multifeeds, because that top sheet is not moving fast enough to separate it from the next page in the stack. It will either stick to the stack and not feed, or it will stick to the stack and take two sheets.

So you need to look at the mechanical lever that lowers the feed roller onto the stack when the tray is inserted. You can get the same effect if that torque limiter is slipping. It's part of the feed roller assy. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=