Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

E450 - Worth spending any more time on this boat anchor?

Original problem was fail to pick up paper from Tray 1, with a clicking sound evident. Replaced pick-up arm (autocompensator I believe Lexmark likes to call it). This was pretty much a royal pain as to get to it the sides, top, system board, system board cage, power supply, power supply cage, clutch, motor drive assembly, and duplexor (gee, did I forget anything?) all have to be removed. The service manual has some dark/poor pictures which made re-attaching tiny springs difficult (what, I can't remember where all those tiny parts go?). Many hours spent on it. Yes, the arm was at fault, but I am getting intermittent jams when feeding paper up from tray 1 now. I am hoping I got all the parts back in the right place, could be more flaws than originally reported. Plus, as not reported originally, the optional tray 2 is not feeding paper. I have pretty much recommended the client buy a new printer, it's just not worth this kind of labor time, but maybe some of you have torn them down faster, and have a thought as to the tray one intermittent jams. Thanks....

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: E450 - Worth spending any more time on this boat anchor?

Lexmarks are rubbish printers e450 is a cheap entry level mono. My opinion? bin it. There has been no manufacturers printer I have worked with that are more of a pain..

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Lasersupplies View Post
    Lexmarks are rubbish printers e450 is a cheap entry level mono. My opinion? bin it. There has been no manufacturers printer I have worked with that are more of a pain..
    That's pretty much what I told the client. I'm reminded of when I used to work on audio cassette recorders. The cheap consumer models usually require taking everything apart to get to what you're actually trying to replace, whereas pro models such as the Tascam 122 MKII at least are modular. I had frequent repairs on one, but could selectively remove a circuit board or the entire transport quickly and efficiently. Mind you, repairing my own Nakamichi cassette wasn't easy, but that sucker produces sound comparable to a CD

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

This Parts & Service manual can be purchased for $12.77 and downloaded immediately after payment from

Just Manuals ~ The Internet's largest selection of manuals ~ Instant Downloads

Paul@justmanuals.com

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by manuals4you View Post
    This Parts & Service manual can be purchased for $12.77 and downloaded immediately after payment from

Just Manuals ~ The Internet's largest selection of manuals ~ Instant Downloads

Paul@justmanuals.com
    Well, thanks for the ad, Paul, but I think I stated in how the manual's picture is rather dark on some pages that it should be apparent I do have the service manual as well as all part numbers therein. As a certified Lexmark tech (certifiably nuts to work on these things) I have access to the Lexmark web site for all manuals direct from the horse's mouth (or perhaps another part of its anatomy.....)

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Must've missed that.