Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Lexmark T654dn Power outage

My customer had a power outage, then the Lexmark T654 wont come on. a fan inside comes on, but no heat, no panel, no motors.
    I'm assuming Low voltage power supply.
    Any disputes before I buy one and maybe waste money?
    thanks

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Cool Re: Lexmark T654dn Power outage

Fan comes on, therefore 120v ok and 24v ok. check for 5 volts output from power suppy or wherever it is generated. The system card could be at fault instead of the power supply. The service manual will show you how to check for the necessary voltages. don't have the time now to look at the manual, must work, work and not let the boss catch me replying to threads.

You can also try removing connectors that are not necessary one by one to power up the machine and see if the screen powers on. Leave the machine unplugged for about 30 min and then try again also.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: Lexmark T654dn Power outage

The low voltage power board was the problem. My customer is an electronics company and one of their employees was walking by and looked at the bad board and noticed 2 capacitors blown on it and I told him that I'm throwing the board away anyway and to go ahead and replace the capacitors to see if that's all it takes to fix the board. He replaced them and it worked. It saved them $150 and it saved me another trip back to there office. It did however take a little more of my time, which translated to the same profit I would have made on the new board. I used to repair some power boards on the old Mita 313z copiers by replacing capacitors a long time ago. This brought back some fond old memories. mmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by copydocinc View Post
    The low voltage power board was the problem. My customer is an electronics company and one of their employees was walking by and looked at the bad board and noticed 2 capacitors blown on it and I told him that I'm throwing the board away anyway and to go ahead and replace the capacitors to see if that's all it takes to fix the board. He replaced them and it worked. It saved them $150 and it saved me another trip back to there office. It did however take a little more of my time, which translated to the same profit I would have made on the new board. I used to repair some power boards on the old Mita 313z copiers by replacing capacitors a long time ago. This brought back some fond old memories. mmmmm
    Yup, bad cap in the LVPS. Had a T654 fan turns on, no control panel lighting up. Had some other parts on hand anyway and tried them, HVPS and LVPS. My old LVPS also has the same issue. But only saw the one bad cap on the LVPS, pulled one off a stripped P3015 power supply. 100uF 35V cap, swapped it out and unit booted up fine. $0.30 cent fix vs $100+ for the LVPS.

Its the one I marked with an X, sits next to the heatsink.

lexmark t654 lvps cap 1.jpg - Google Drive
    lexmark t654 lvps cap.jpg - Google Drive

I have the same symptoms after power failure, fan running & blank screen. Removed the lvps board but no visual indication of bad component. Is there any way to confirm that the board is bad before buying a replacement? Is it worth my time trying to repair the board and if so any pointers?

Thanks