Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheaters

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Re: Cheaters

Canon at least used to sell one as as service tool.

Its shaped evolved over the years to fit new models.

I think it was made of aluminum, but could have been just about any alloy or compound.

I must have had at least 10 of them stashed in various places. I managed to lose them all over time.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Canon at least used to sell one as as service tool.

Its shaped evolved over the years to fit new models.

I think it was made of aluminum, but could have been just about any alloy or compound.

I must have had at least 10 of them stashed in various places. I managed to lose them all over time.
    I actually still have one of those, it has a kind of weird "L" shape with some slots cut into it. I don't use it that much anymore, but with a bit of creativity it used to work well for everything.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Cheaters

Reversed fat Tie Wrap. Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    Cheaters

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    I actually still have one of those, it has a kind of weird "L" shape with some slots cut into it. I don't use it that much anymore, but with a bit of creativity it used to work well for everything.
    I'll post a photo tomorrow of the one I have, but don't use (haven't seen a Canon in ages).
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    I have a door cheat similar 'L' shape design with slots cut here and there for various makes and models.
    It was original an ooooldddd Toshiba door cheat. I modified it over the years for Canon, Ricoh ,Sharp, and Brother; and just recently Xerox.
    It's not always a perfect fit for every slot but it does the job.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ‘ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    I have a door cheat similar 'L' shape design with slots cut here and there for various makes and models.
    It was original an ooooldddd Toshiba door cheat. I modified it over the years for Canon, Ricoh ,Sharp, and Brother; and just recently Xerox.
    It's not always a perfect fit for every slot but it does the job.
    good sir. If i may ask, could you post a pic of your device on your spare time. thks.

someone mentioned paper. while that is the first thing we would all grab in a rush, i have had too many headaches with paper, that i will never use it again, unless in a desperate situation, which i think is very unlikely. cut, fit,trim and still fiddle,fiddle a leo o for it to stay.
    some machines you have to use two or three at a time and if paper jam ect. and you have to remove and set again on first insert to continue and a cheater is not working right, it can drive one nuts in the troubleshooting process. my take anyway.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    Cheaters

Cheaters.jpg

On the left is a Canon cheater (aluminum), the center is a hard resin cheater (origins unknown), and the right one looks like a home made cheater of aluminum.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZOOTECH View Post
    I'll post a photo tomorrow of the one I have, but don't use (haven't seen a Canon in ages).
    I'll do that as well if you want.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by subaro View Post
    good sir. If i may ask, could you post a pic of your device on your spare time. thks.

someone mentioned paper. while that is the first thing we would all grab in a rush, i have had too many headaches with paper, that i will never use it again, unless in a desperate situation, which i think is very unlikely. cut, fit,trim and still fiddle,fiddle a leo o for it to stay.
    some machines you have to use two or three at a time and if paper jam ect. and you have to remove and set again on first insert to continue and a cheater is not working right, it can drive one nuts in the troubleshooting process. my take anyway.
    Re : Photo.
    If you have a look at Zootech last post; I have an old Toshiba door cheat identical to the one in the center of the photo. Zootech has also filed a slot into the small tail section identical to what I've done; which allows it to be used in Canon machines. I also have slots filed into the right angle radius arc at different positions for other machines Ricoh, Brother etc. I use to have a Canon one (left side of photo) but lost it years ago.

HTH
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ‘ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Old but good thread. Personally I never had problem to fabricate door jig from paper sheet but kinda like the idea of using rubber/silicone hose.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.