Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    OKI C830 not recognising magenta toner

hello everyone

client had "replace magenta drum" message, so a new OEM drum was installed - the machine then displayed the following:

Install Toner
    Magenta

a new OEM toner was installed, but the message remains - old or new drum, old or new toner

tested the toner sensors in service mode OK, even rotated the drum drive motor by hand to ensure all the flags were turning and seen, watched each sensor go H/L - then went into RFID test and they all tested good too - performed an EEPROM reset too

stuck the drums back into the machine without the toners and got toner sensor error for each colour + K - installed toners one at a time starting with K and the toner sensor error for each colour disappeared accordingly, did magenta last, it ran up & displayed the same message

Install Toner
    Magenta

so, thought i'd try something different,, powered the machine down and swapped the yellow drum/toner unit with the magenta drum/toner unit, powered it up and same message displayed despite the fact that the yellow was now in the magenta position

one thing i didn't try was swapping the RFID sensors around, because they worked in test mode

anyone seen this before? i've ordered a new RFID sensor for starters, but i'm not that confident that will fix it

heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp

thanks in advance

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: OKI C830 not recognising magenta toner

Have had this before.It is usually the toner.Have you tried a new toner cartridge?

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Did you turn the device off before you installed the toner.

Restart the device.

An annoying limitation of Okidata products.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aAandy View Post
    hello everyone

client had "replace magenta drum" message, so a new OEM drum was installed - the machine then displayed the following:

Install Toner
    Magenta

a new OEM toner was installed, but the message remains - old or new drum, old or new toner

tested the toner sensors in service mode OK, even rotated the drum drive motor by hand to ensure all the flags were turning and seen, watched each sensor go H/L - then went into RFID test and they all tested good too - performed an EEPROM reset too

stuck the drums back into the machine without the toners and got toner sensor error for each colour + K - installed toners one at a time starting with K and the toner sensor error for each colour disappeared accordingly, did magenta last, it ran up & displayed the same message

Install Toner
    Magenta

so, thought i'd try something different,, powered the machine down and swapped the yellow drum/toner unit with the magenta drum/toner unit, powered it up and same message displayed despite the fact that the yellow was now in the magenta position

one thing i didn't try was swapping the RFID sensors around, because they worked in test mode

anyone seen this before? i've ordered a new RFID sensor for starters, but i'm not that confident that will fix it

heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp

thanks in advance
    did you clean the drum / toner contacts? it could be the maintenance board.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by richs View Post
    Have had this before.It is usually the toner.Have you tried a new toner cartridge?
    seriously? you didn't read my post? it says new OEM drum & new OEM toner were installed

it also says i put the entire magenta drum/toner unit into another slot, but the fault didn't follow the drum unit, so it can't be the drum unit

in fact, no matter which drum unit i put in the magenta slot, it says the same thing

Install Toner
    Magenta

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    Did you turn the device off before you installed the toner.

Restart the device.

An annoying limitation of Okidata products.
    the client fitted the new magenta drum unit (using the old toner) with the power on, then fitted a brand new OEM toner - i have since tried again several times with several different toners,

the machine isn't saying toner low, or replace toner, it's saying INSTALL TONER - Magenta

are you suggesting the controller is confused? that RFID didn't reset the toner count when the new toner was fitted? if that's the case a new toner should reset it and i'll do that with the machine off

thank you

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    did you clean the drum / toner contacts? it could be the maintenance board.
    yes, all contacts cleaned, toner sensors cleaned, little flag inside drum unit cleaned, swapped drum units around, fault stays INSTALL TONER - Magenta

the fault does not follow the drum to any other slot and any other drum in the magenta slot shows the same fault

yes, all contacts cleaned, toner sensors cleaned, little flag inside drum unit cleaned, swapped drum units around, fault stays INSTALL TONER - Magenta

the fault does not follow the drum to any other slot and any other drum in the magenta slot shows the same fault
    seeing all that you have done and said how it reacts.. it will be the maintenance board

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    seeing all that you have done and said how it reacts.. it will be the maintenance board
    thank you very much

just to be clear, the maintenance board is the main controller with the ethernet connector yes? the parts list calls it "TB2 maintenance board specification" part number 43793743

not the engine controller board?? i was expecting the engine controller board to be at fault

thank you very much

just to be clear, the maintenance board is the main controller with the ethernet connector yes? the parts list calls it "TB2 maintenance board specification" part number 43793743

not the engine controller board?? i was expecting the engine controller board to be at fault
    you are correct one with USB and Enet on it