Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Angry Dell 5130cdn noise tray

When using tray 1 top cassette , machine makes a ratchety noise , sounds like gears slipping . This does not happen with the 2nd /lower cassette , it sounds normal . I could not swap the cassettes as they are slightly different . Got into diagnostic mode and ran the drive motor for tray 1 with the cassette out of the unit , turned the clutch on , the tires rotated as expected , but did not get the noise , I put my fingers on the PU tire as to slow it down a bit , the noise recurred , but quieter , suspect worn feed drive gears , but this is the only one of this model I service . Any thoughts on this problem ? thanks in advance , Ark .

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Re: Dell 5130cdn noise tray

So , here is the story . It came down to 3 parts , after digging through the service manual . Either the Paper Feeder Assy , Drive Assy PH , or the cassette . Decided to try the Paper Feeder Assy 1st . Machine is at about 420k pages . Put the Feeder Assy in the machine , busy bit of work took about 2.5 hours . When I got it out found that the problem was actually my other choice , the PH drive assy , 3 or 4 of the gears here were very worn , teeth stripped down , I replaced the Feeder Assy as the clutches there were all full of rust . Came back with the PH Drive Assy , another big job , installed and now it sounds great , Thanks for all the views , hope this helps someone in the future ,
    Ark .

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Dell 5130cdn noise tray

Re: Dell 5130cdn noise tray

Quote Originally Posted by Arkynsaw View Post
    So , here is the story . It came down to 3 parts , after digging through the service manual . Either the Paper Feeder Assy , Drive Assy PH , or the cassette . Decided to try the Paper Feeder Assy 1st . Machine is at about 420k pages . Put the Feeder Assy in the machine , busy bit of work took about 2.5 hours . When I got it out found that the problem was actually my other choice , the PH drive assy , 3 or 4 of the gears here were very worn , teeth stripped down , I replaced the Feeder Assy as the clutches there were all full of rust . Came back with the PH Drive Assy , another big job , installed and now it sounds great , Thanks for all the views , hope this helps someone in the future ,
    Ark .
    yeah Brother... that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes! Glad you got it sorted out?
    BTW did that file I sent fit your needs?