Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Xerox phaser 7800 print defect

hi there
    I have a customer using a Xerox phaesr 7800 who is getting print defects on cyan and yellow.
    Image drums are all ok.
    Xerox have been out and changed the cyan and yellow developer and blamed the compatible toner.
    print defects have returned very quickly on the cyan.
    cleaning the machine/led lasers etc does not help.
    printing on card stock (Xerox approved for the printer)
    any ideas what causes this defect?

xerox 7800 developer 3.jpg

xerox 7800 cyan defect.jpg

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: Xerox phaser 7800 print defect

Quote Originally Posted by toadman View Post
    hi there
    I have a customer using a Xerox phaesr 7800 who is getting print defects on cyan and yellow.
    Image drums are all ok.
    Xerox have been out and changed the cyan and yellow developer and blamed the compatible toner.
    print defects have returned very quickly on the cyan.
    cleaning the machine/led lasers etc does not help.
    printing on card stock (Xerox approved for the printer)
    any ideas what causes this defect?

xerox 7800 developer 3.jpg

xerox 7800 cyan defect.jpg
    it looks like toner clumps have created the problem.
    are they still using generic?
    are they shaking the toner cart the proper way/amount of time?

I haven't found ANY generic toners that play well in color Xerox units... most mono's are acceptable tho.

take a business cards.. slip it between the doctor blade and the mag roller... run it the full length of the dev roller.. back n forth a few times..
    reinstall and test.. if it remains please provide better quality pics (my old eyes)
    if fixed, it is toner clumps in the dev unit. You SHOULD be able to remove the dev and take cover of.. using a fine screen sifter.. sift the powders breaking up any clumps.. return powder to dev unit.. reinstall and test.
    (clumps in toner = not properly shaken or toner has been stored in a high heat area and has started to melt together)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    it looks like toner clumps have created the problem.
    are they still using generic?
    are they shaking the toner cart the proper way/amount of time?

I haven't found ANY generic toners that play well in color Xerox units... most mono's are acceptable tho.

take a business cards.. slip it between the doctor blade and the mag roller... run it the full length of the dev roller.. back n forth a few times..
    reinstall and test.. if it remains please provide better quality pics (my old eyes)
    if fixed, it is toner clumps in the dev unit. You SHOULD be able to remove the dev and take cover of.. using a fine screen sifter.. sift the powders breaking up any clumps.. return powder to dev unit.. reinstall and test.
    (clumps in toner = not properly shaken or toner has been stored in a high heat area and has started to melt together)
    Hi PhilB, thanks so much for taking the time to reply to both my posts.
    I actually have 2 clients with problems with these machines so I thought i would keep the issues seperate.

For the print defect above we sent out a 3rd party engineer to visit. He concluded that the developer unit had a fault that could not be cleaned and Xerox replaced this with a new cyan developer but the defect has returned.

The 3rd party engineer reported that he has seen the same defect on printers using OEM toners and that cyan toner could not be at fault as the defect was very obv and toner does not have the ability to create such a defect as shown (if toner was the issue it would have defects all over the page). He believed something else is causing the damage to the developer.

I think we should we go back to him with your info? id love to get to the bottom of this.

Im attaching some more defect images.

original defect before replacing cyan developer

orginal defect.jpg

(on the above they also had a defective M drum)

new defects after replacing the cyan developer
    new defect 1.jpg
    new defect 2.jpg

thanks for any advice !

I actually have 2 clients with problems with these machines so I thought i would keep the issues seperate.

For the print defect above we sent out a 3rd party engineer to visit. He concluded that the developer unit had a fault that could not be cleaned and Xerox replaced this with a new cyan developer but the defect has returned.

The 3rd party engineer reported that he has seen the same defect on printers using OEM toners and that cyan toner could not be at fault as the defect was very obv and toner does not have the ability to create such a defect as shown (if toner was the issue it would have defects all over the page). He believed something else is causing the damage to the developer.

I think we should we go back to him with your info? id love to get to the bottom of this.

orginal defect.jpg

new defect 1.jpg
    new defect 2.jpg

thanks for any advice !
    I have been a Xerox trained tech since 1998. I have NEVER seen a genuine Xerox toner due that UNLESS it was stored in high heat for a long time. Crap toners do it becase they can't use exact formulations.
    If you have read others threads, crap toners are about 80% (conservatively speaking) of quality problems reported.
    Crap toners also tear up fusers, drums,belts plus the dev units
    My 2 cents

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thanks Phil, appreciate your advice.

Hi Phil, sorry me again. Ive gone back to the toner manufacturer who are being quite helpful but they have said that if the toner was the issue it wouldnt not happen at only one spot on the dev roller. It would be clumping and damaging the roller along its length. Have you seen this before?
    I would really like to get to the bottom of it !
    cheers

Hi Phil, sorry me again. Ive gone back to the toner manufacturer who are being quite helpful but they have said that if the toner was the issue it wouldnt not happen at only one spot on the dev roller. It would be clumping and damaging the roller along its length. Have you seen this before?
    I would really like to get to the bottom of it !
    cheers
    ok I ASSume you talked to their sales guy?

bad toner can cause buildup on a mag roller... sometimes in spots.. sometimes the whole mag roller.
    yes it does cause leaks - clumps.

years ago on mono machines it could clump..scratch/score the mag. and when that happens you get build-up and dumps.

not sure who you are using... but on Xerox I try to steer my customers away from compat.. some are hard headed and they pay the price.

yep...phil is the hokage plus there is no such thing as compatible in xerox...its either genuine or fake....

and i love the look on some customers who tried installing "compatible" the look on their faces is priceless esp. when they sees the bill

Xerox trained since 2007

Quote Originally Posted by howling View Post
    yep...phil is the hokage plus there is no such thing as compatible in xerox...its either genuine or fake....

and i love the look on some customers who tried installing "compatible" the look on their faces is priceless esp. when they sees the bill

Xerox trained since 2007
    Hokage? I trained in 98 and YES there are compatible toners out there for sale:

Xerox - Page 1 - Supplies Outlet

NOW tell me again how there are NO COMPATIBLES!?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

orginal defect.jpg

new defect 1.jpg
    new defect 2.jpg

thanks for any advice !

It's easy, check if lines appear on mag roll. If not problem is Not in Developer unit.
    Otherwise as Xerox techs replaced devs, why not get them back to check their work?
    Those lines look like exactly what Phil described but if developer is replaced and unit is cleaned properly it should be some very shi** compatible toner to cause this again shortly after service.

May be wrong, Not Xerox trained at all.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.