KM magicolor 7450 startup fail

Hi,
    I have an old magicolor from the office, to work at home.
    It has kept on working for about 2 years with a warning that the transfert belt is end of life.
    After replacing the transfert belt (and the other elements included in the kit) the printer wont start up.

The info panel is stuck at the amount of memory.
    Once after I replaced the transfert belt, I got an error message (something about the Cyan drum).
    Can somebody advice me how to make it working again (very usefull in Corona times).
    Should I replace the Cyan drum (I don't know how far in its lifecycle it is).
    I'm not a technician, but I have the service manual. It does not give any information on this.

Edwin

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: KM magicolor 7450 startup fail

Quote Originally Posted by EdwinR3 View Post
    Hi,
    I have an old magicolor from the office, to work at home.
    It has kept on working for about 2 years with a warning that the transfert belt is end of life.
    After replacing the transfert belt (and the other elements included in the kit) the printer wont start up.

The info panel is stuck at the amount of memory.
    Once after I replaced the transfert belt, I got an error message (something about the Cyan drum).
    Can somebody advice me how to make it working again (very usefull in Corona times).
    Should I replace the Cyan drum (I don't know how far in its lifecycle it is).
    I'm not a technician, but I have the service manual. It does not give any information on this.

Edwin
    If you are not a technician I think there is very little you can do, however try to remove the ram in the electronics part and clean the contacts by rubbing them with an eraser or simply with paper being careful not to touch the components. Also try removing and reinserting the drum units and the one you replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by GIUBOSS View Post
    If you are not a technician I think there is very little you can do, however try to remove the ram in the electronics part and clean the contacts by rubbing them with an eraser or simply with paper being careful not to touch the components. Also try removing and reinserting the drum units and the one you replaced.
    Ill try your suggestion. I dit not replace the drum units, just removed them as indicated in the service manual to replace the transfert belt.
    Since the normal lifetime for the transfertbelt is rated at 120.000 prints and max. 150.000 it's possible that the extra 30.000 prints are made, and that the drum units (or at least one of them) is also end of life, since these are rated at 30.000 prints.
    It's just that I would like to know if it is worthwile to invest in a new imaging unit, which cost about 160 €. If the printer keeps working after that it's ok, but if it still wont start up, it's a waste of money.

Thank you for the help. Ill let you know if cleaning the contacts will help. (I have added an extra memory bar, which was recognised, but the startup procedure stall's after the indication of the available ram, which make's me think that the contacts are good)

Edwin

Ill try your suggestion. I dit not replace the drum units, just removed them as indicated in the service manual to replace the transfert belt.
    Since the normal lifetime for the transfertbelt is rated at 120.000 prints and max. 150.000 it's possible that the extra 30.000 prints are made, and that the drum units (or at least one of them) is also end of life, since these are rated at 30.000 prints.
    It's just that I would like to know if it is worthwile to invest in a new imaging unit, which cost about 160 €. If the printer keeps working after that it's ok, but if it still wont start up, it's a waste of money.

Thank you for the help. Ill let you know if cleaning the contacts will help. (I have added an extra memory bar, which was recognised, but the startup procedure stall's after the indication of the available ram, which make's me think that the contacts are good)

Edwin
    The problem is old age. You tried to remove the memory that you added to see if she was the problem even if it was recognized by the machine.

The problem is old age. You tried to remove the memory that you added to see if she was the problem even if it was recognized by the machine.
    I have tried cleaning the contacts of the memory bars, but the problem remains.
    When doing this, I noticed there is battery on the cpu unit (probably a CR2032 3Volt battery, i didn't remove it).
    Your remark of old age could be right on, regarding this battery. I searched the service manual but I dit not find any reference of this.
    Replacing it should be easy, but I wonder what information might be lost. If I need to do a system update I'll wait till someone in the know gives me some directions. Still need to search what would be needed for that and where to get the system upgrade files for this. Also will need to find an old computer with a parallel cable interface.

Edwin

I have tried cleaning the contacts of the memory bars, but the problem remains.
    When doing this, I noticed there is battery on the cpu unit (probably a CR2032 3Volt battery, i didn't remove it).
    Your remark of old age could be right on, regarding this battery. I searched the service manual but I dit not find any reference of this.
    Replacing it should be easy, but I wonder what information might be lost. If I need to do a system update I'll wait till someone in the know gives me some directions. Still need to search what would be needed for that and where to get the system upgrade files for this. Also will need to find an old computer with a parallel cable interface.

Edwin
    I would worry before running normal boot ..., did you try removing the extra memory and putting the old parts back?

I would worry before running normal boot ..., did you try removing the extra memory and putting the old parts back?
    Yes I did.
    Replaced the bars, inversed them. All remains the same. I can't get further than the indication of the amount of available memory.
    By the sound of it the machine tries do to some callibration or cleaning, but it won't pass the memory message.