Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Oki C531 printer

Oki C531 printer

Hi,

Probably only one that can help me with this is someone who knows Oki and had the same exact issue.

Don't know Oki that well but a good customer asked me to take a look while there servicing copier.

The message on display is "Close cover 310:Cover open" so think to myself this has to be easy, broken actuator, etc etc. Ha-ha no such luck!

Only interlock I could find is for the top cover which customer opened to change a toner and got this message when done.

Tested switch and it's good. Had a new different size switch I used just to test even though original switch tested good (In case switch was failing under load)

When I got back to office I was able to find the maintenance & parts manuals online. Again only interlock I could find in parts manual was for top cover which tested good.
    Also tried some things posted online but nothing worked.

Thanks for any help
    Last edited by copyman; 07-10-2021 at 02:04 AM.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Oki C531 printer

Re: Oki C531 printer

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    Hi,

Probably only one that can help me with this is someone who knows Oki and had the same exact issue.

Don't know Oki that well but a good customer asked me to take a look while there servicing copier.

The message on display is "Close cover 310:Cover open" so think to myself this has to be easy, broken actuator, etc etc. Ha-ha no such luck!

Only interlock I could find is for the top cover which customer opened to change a toner and got this message when done.

Tested switch and it's good. Had a new different size switch I used just to test even though original switch tested good (In case switch was failing under load)

When I got back to office I was able to find the maintenance & parts manuals online. Again only interlock I could find in parts manual was for top cover which tested good.

Thanks for any help
    I wouldn't want to be trivial even though I haven't repaired a lot of OKI's but have you tried putting the old toner back?

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Oki C531 printer

Quote Originally Posted by GIUBOSS View Post
    I wouldn't want to be trivial even though I haven't repaired a lot of OKI's but have you tried putting the old toner back?
    Thanks for the reply.

Not trivial I thought same thing.

They actually replaced the drum unit assembly and when they closed top cover message appeared. When I got there and they explained how it happen first thing I asked is if they had old drum unit but they already threw it in trash. Not sure how people think, if I wasn't a tech and I put a drum unit into machine and error message came up first thing I would do is put old drum back in to see if messg goes away! I wouldn't throw it into trash!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Oki C531 printer

Hi, check if the belt is ok not stuck or something interfering with belt motor, check Fuser Unit if ok and turning, check the LED's under the top cover are in the correct position especially the ribbon cables inserted correctly into them and not in an angle (the LED holders break when customer is changing toner/drum units/paper jams) but this usually triggers a sc code because a fuse breaks. In your case it would be a fuse as well, in other Oki manuals is called F6 for error Cover Open error, it's a tiny fuse located about 1-2 cm above DCHEAT connector on Main Board.
    Defects are simple, our mind is complicated

Hi,

Thanks for any help
    Hi,

You have busted fuse on maintenance board.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quatro View Post
    Hi,

You have busted fuse on maintenance board.
    This was already suggested a while ago see the post below.

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzoo View Post
    Hi, check if the belt is ok not stuck or something interfering with belt motor, check Fuser Unit if ok and turning, check the LED's under the top cover are in the correct position especially the ribbon cables inserted correctly into them and not in an angle (the LED holders break when customer is changing toner/drum units/paper jams) but this usually triggers a sc code because a fuse breaks. In your case it would be a fuse as well, in other Oki manuals is called F6 for error Cover Open error, it's a tiny fuse located about 1-2 cm above DCHEAT connector on Main Board.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts Polo-022's Avatar

Hi,

Thanks for any help
    May i ask if you found the solution, please?

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Hi. I haven't serviced these specific machines as I do mostly larger OKIs, like ProColor 900DP, usually with envelope feeders but persistent "Close Top Cover" error in those usually leads to blown fuse on one of the controller boards. I have successfully fixed that issue by replacing blown fuses. They are tiny, surface mounted components, kinda PITA but doable. So far looks like it happens if/when customer is trying to replace more then one drum at the time or trying to "reset" drum life by mounting "cheating" fuse to drum's pins to trick the printer in to thinking that there is new drum installed.