Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Magenta toner spill causing stained prints on Oki C8600 color printer

Hi,

I have e barely used OKI C8600 color laser A3/A4 printer that I bought from a company a while back, they had only printed 70 pages since new. However when I looked closer on the machine when coming home, I saw that there was a lot of magenta toner spilled all over the inside of the printer, I vacuumed as much as I possibly could, but the printer still produces color prints with small magenta dots all over the prints, sometimes more and sometimes less. The black and white prints usually looks good, I have occasionally seen black and white prints with magenta dots in a line from side to side in the middle of a page.

A service guy I talked with said that it was impossible for him to say over phone, but that it could be the fuser that needed to be replaced. But I guess it could be one of the drums also, or maybe transferbelt or a LED strip?

Any clues?

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Lightbulb Re: Magenta toner spill causing stained prints on Oki C8600 color printer

This Parts & Service Manual can now be purchased for $12.77 and downloaded immediately after payment from

Just Manuals, The Internet's largest selection of manuals ~ Instant Downloads

Paul@justmanuals.com

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts Eric1968's Avatar

Re: Magenta toner spill causing stained prints on Oki C8600 color printer

If the spots are magenta, then the magenta drum should be the problem. If it were the fusing unit you would also see black/cyan/yellow spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric1968 View Post
    If the spots are magenta, then the magenta drum should be the problem. If it were the fusing unit you would also see black/cyan/yellow spots.
    Hi Eric1968,

Thank you for your response. Sounds like it could be the drum then, since I only see magenta spots. I printed a few color test pages to show what it looks like. I recently started to see some black random spillage lines also, It even shows on the back of the paper, but it is starting to dissapear now after a few more prints, I just heard that somebody printed on glossy paper that was intended for ink printers the other day...
    magentadots_1.jpgmagentadots_2.jpg

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts Eric1968's Avatar

Make sure you're using original supplies in this machine. I've seen machines that looked like if there was a toner explosion inside...

Senior Tech 250+ Posts Masterchief's Avatar

Remove all units fully, Carefully hoover out all compartments. I would ask you to start putiing each Unit in carefully and cleaning as you do. Pay close attention to the Transfer as the spots only appear where the image is or has been transfered to the paper... I think it might need the TB changed or serviced

Thank you all for your response!

I took a closer look at the transfer belt and vacuumed the sides of it again since I saw toner on it, when I then turned the wheel on the transfer belt It suddenly showed more toner on it, mostly magenta.. I saw a video on youtube on how to gently wipe it of with a damp cloth or similar, but is that enough? Is it possible to take it apart if there's still a lot of toner underneath the belt etc? Or should I just get a new one, it doesn't have many hours of use, but probably is full of toner spillage...

Hi again,

I haven't had the to time to fix the printer yet but thought I would have another go now and try to resolve the issue with the magenta artifacts.
    Do you still think that it is the drum that needs to be replaced?

Since all parts costs a lot of money I want to buy the right thing from the start (if possible...)

I did a few more test prints, if I print the demo page from within the menu of the printer the print looks just fine, though I have seen small faint magenta dots from right to left on some of the demo prints. I also made a document and wrote a few numbers in different colors, in that particular print you can see that the 5 and the 7 (orange and blue has some dots in them), if I printed the same document but with a picture, the picture shows a lot of magenta dots, but the rest of the page looks fine other than the 5 and the 7 that still show some sign of artifacts.

I looked on the first two images I attached to this thread, I saw that it also showed some yellow dots or streaks (bottom left corner), but it seems to be mostly the magenta that is affected/affecting.

I thought if there is some kind of cleaning I can do, aren't there some kind of glass that can affect the prints if it's not clean?

Thank's!

Bump

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Dude,
    Prepare a new transfer belt and a magenta drum unit.Clean out machine fully.Replace transfer belt.Test.
    All ok??
    Not Ok,replace magenta drum unit.
    Prints should be fine.