Question GDI vs PostScript printer question

Hello,
    I was looking for an InkJet printer to produce small photos (in better quality than my C75 laser).
    Found two similar Epson models with different emulations, GDI (cheaper) and PostScript. After some googling I've found out the GDI printer would work fine under Windows 10, but its RGB to CMYK conversion is worse than the PS, therefore the print quality might be worse.

Is that true? Is it worth the extra money to buy the PostScript printer instead?

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    GDI vs PostScript printer question

Re: GDI vs PostScript printer question

A GDI printer uses the processing power of the PC that it is connected to RIP and print documents. Canon A3 office copiers offer GDI print drivers.

A Postscript printer uses a mathematical algorithm to RIP and process documents via a completely different process

Depending upon your budget, if you are trying to produce high quality, colour documents, in volume, GDI will output printed pages to a lower standard.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Re: GDI vs PostScript printer question

I can’t imagine GDI output being as good as PostScript when it comes to color output.

Fine for B&W, but not color.
    Last edited by KenB; 01-23-2021 at 09:18 PM.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins