Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Okidata MPS3537 vs Toshiba E-studio 347CS

Our customer has the oki mps3537, C,Y,M drums are near end of life. None of our vendors have them or an eta . I tried a yellow Toshiba drum but it would not reset the drum message. I know most oki's have a quick blow fuse that resets the drums/fuser/belt but I didn't want to take the drum apart to find it. I don't see any physical difference in the two drums and no visible chip. Anyone know the difference ?
    Thanks,
    Dave

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Okidata MPS3537 vs Toshiba E-studio 347CS

look at the drum on the right side there are 3 contacts, you have to weld a microfuse between the one on the left and the one in the center, isolate it, turn off the machine, insert it and turn it on again, I do it with one of these, folding it inside the drum (where they go the led bars)

same as

251.062L - Littelfuse 0251.062VXL, VERY FAST-ACTING PICO II FUSE WITH AXIAL LEADS, Voltage: 125VAC, Amp Size: 1/16

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by avio2 View Post
    look at the drum on the right side there are 3 contacts, you have to weld a microfuse between the one on the left and the one in the center, isolate it, turn off the machine, insert it and turn it on again, I do it with one of these, folding it inside the drum (where they go the led bars)

same as

251.062L - Littelfuse 0251.062VXL, VERY FAST-ACTING PICO II FUSE WITH AXIAL LEADS, Voltage: 125VAC, Amp Size: 1/16
    I was able to get them reset with new fuses.
    Thanks,
    Dave

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by deputydogg View Post
    I was able to get them reset with new fuses.
    Thanks,
    Dave
    I would like to try this. DeputyDogg, in your own words please explain what you did.

1), There are three gold contacts on both sides of the drum unit. I interpret the front of the drum unit has two labels.
    2). Weld/solder a fuse to the first two contacts on the right hand side which is located below the CMY or K label. Do you bend these into the plastic frame of the drum unit and then solder.? Thereby requiring to add extra length to the fuse wire before trimming to provide extra length for the two bends.
    3). Isolate it. Does this mean to make sure the thin metal wires from the fuse do not touch any other metal (by trimming them?)
    4). Folding the thin metal contacts of the fuse tight into the plastic frame.
    5). "Where they go the LED bars". Meaning the side of the copier where the four plastic drive gears are located?

Thanks,
    Last edited by SalesServiceGuy; 04-14-2021 at 11:09 PM.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

We had trouble getting drums from okidata, so I had to reset a few to get copiers going. I made a tool for that. You need a couple feet of phone wire, a push switch and a 12 volts bulb.Hook the 2 wires to the copier's 2 bottom contacts, on the toner handle side of drum . Carefully replace the drum and close lid. Start copier while pressing the push button. About 9 seconds into the start sequence,the bulb will turn on. Immidiatly release the push switch, (simulating a fuse blowing) and let the copier start up fully. Shutt it down, remove wires and you done. Takes 5 minutes. If you're a tech, the all thing will make sens to you.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by onetek View Post
    We had trouble getting drums from okidata, so I had to reset a few to get copiers going. I made a tool for that. You need a couple feet of phone wire, a push switch and a 12 volts bulb.Hook the 2 wires to the copier's 2 bottom contacts, on the toner handle side of drum . Carefully replace the drum and close lid. Start copier while pressing the push button. About 9 seconds into the start sequence,the bulb will turn on. Immidiatly release the push switch, (simulating a fuse blowing) and let the copier start up fully. Shutt it down, remove wires and you done. Takes 5 minutes. If you're a tech, the all thing will make sens to you.
    Clever!