Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Printing with Windows XP

Printing with Windows XP

I got a call from a small transmission shop that's right down the street from the shop. He has a Snap On diagnostic machine that runs on Windows XP and his Oki B4600 bit the dust, so he purchased a Brother hl-l2370dw. It appears that Brother driver's don't support XP. It only goes back to Windows 7.

The Snap On machine cost 17k to upgrade and he doesn't want to do that. I've heard some of you talk about using a generic driver for older operating systems but I've slept since then and the old memory ain't what it used to be.

I'd like to help the guy out. Any advice on this one?
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Re: Printing with Windows XP

Two thoughts come to mind:

1. Try the “Generic/Text Only” driver included with XP, and see if it gives acceptable results.

2. A quick search on eBay revealed a ton of his old Oki model printer for sale. Certainly not a free solution, but that would be the easiest.

Question, though. If his Snap On machine came with XP, how old is it? Is it current enough to support the much more modern cars and trucks of today? Just curious.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

He has to get a machine that emulates the oki driver. For instance, that OKI may have work with an HP driver, like the laserjet 4200. So it will be cheaper to get another printer that can or emulate the existing oki driver. The OKI supported PCL drivers, so an Hp 4250 should be an ideal machine which also is a fantastic machine that will run forever.
    You can pick those up cheap and they are still around.

In fact you can get driver for the laser jet 4250 from independent source like below, so you may not even need the oki driver. ebay has lots of those lj4250, I even saw one brand new, ha.

Only problem you might run into, is if xp acts up as to outdated files. XP is solid, but you never know. I think it should work fine though.

Download HP LaserJet 4250 drivers for Windows XP x86 | DriverPack

THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Printing with Windows XP

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Two thoughts come to mind:

1. Try the “Generic/Text Only” driver included with XP, and see if it gives acceptable results.

2. A quick search on eBay revealed a ton of his old Oki model printer for sale. Certainly not a free solution, but that would be the easiest.

Question, though. If his Snap On machine came with XP, how old is it? Is it current enough to support the much more modern cars and trucks of today? Just curious.

I think he said the machine was purchased in 2013. And I think he said that thru updates he can diagnose vehicles up to 2019. But he did mention that Snap On no longer supports the model.

I like option #2 that you suggested. That's kind of what I was thinking myself. Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    I think he said the machine was purchased in 2013. And I think he said that thru updates he can diagnose vehicles up to 2019. But he did mention that Snap On no longer supports the model.

I like option #2 that you suggested. That's kind of what I was thinking myself. Thanks for your help.
    Glad to help, my Friend!

I know what I nightmare those diagnostic machines can be.

My buddy sold those many years ago (a different brand), and he shared his experiences with me. Constant and costly updating and upgrading.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

If this is a GDI printer, try HL2030 driver:

https://www.brother.de/support/hl-2030/downloads

But actually I think it understands PCL so you can try this one for HL2070 first:

https://www.brother.de/support/hl2070n/downloads

Most generic PCL drivers should do the trick, too...

PS: Use LAN connection with TCP/IP Port if possible

Quote Originally Posted by Gift View Post
    If this is a GDI printer, try HL2030 driver:

https://www.brother.de/support/hl-2030/downloads

But actually I think it understands PCL so you can try this one for HL2070 first:

https://www.brother.de/support/hl2070n/downloads

Most generic PCL drivers should do the trick, too...

PS: Use LAN connection with TCP/IP Port if possible
    The XP drivers are there, but they're in German. That won't work for English.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    The XP drivers are there, but they're in German. That won't work for English.
    It should work but some driver options might be a little hard to read LOL (even if many words aren't much different^^).

In case the download/support page for brother US or UK offers these drivers, too he can download the stuff there.

Printing with Windows XP

The owner took the Brother printer back and got a refund. I told him to check on Ebay for an Oki printer like the one he had. Thanks for the help. I learned something new that will come in handy down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Gift View Post
    It should work but some driver options might be a little hard to read LOL (even if many words aren't much different^^).

In case the download/support page for brother US or UK offers these drivers, too he can download the stuff there.
    Yes, I would think there would be an English site, but that is not always the case.

Years ago, I had a customer accidentally download and install a Fiery driver (for a Canon color machine) that was the German version.

Of course, he spoke none of it.

It was an absolute nightmare to get it uninstalled without knowing the language. The Adobe PostScript driver writes stuff all over the place... no fun.