Senior Tech 250+ Posts ReproKev's Avatar

Kip 7170 "coasting"

Customer has a "new to him" Kip 7170 that occasionally doesn't print the pdf he sent. When I look at the job list is shows the job, but instead of saying "printing" it says "coasting" and just sits there until the job is cancelled and the machine is powered off/on.

It seems to happen mostly when the 7170 is in sleep/low power mode.
    Also when the customer uses "preflight" in Adobe pro before printing it doesn't happen.

I'm a Canon tech and only have a little experience (not trained) on this machine.

Anyone have any thought's on what would cause this? Setting on machine or print driver? Firmware maybe?
    pic of the firmware version: IMG_4942-2.jpg
    Last edited by ReproKev; 02-15-2023 at 06:45 PM. Reason: added pic

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts kingarthur's Avatar

Re: Kip 7170 "coasting"

Quote Originally Posted by ReproKev View Post
    Customer has a "new to him" Kip 7170 that occasionally doesn't print the pdf he sent. When I look at the job list is shows the job, but instead of saying "printing" it says "coasting" and just sits there until the job is cancelled and the machine is powered off/on.

It seems to happen mostly when the 7170 is in sleep/low power mode.
    Also when the customer uses "preflight" in Adobe pro before printing it doesn't happen.

I'm a Canon tech and only have a little experience (not trained) on this machine.

Anyone have any thought's on what would cause this? Setting on machine or print driver? Firmware maybe?
    pic of the firmware version: IMG_4942-2.jpg
    is the customer using "Printnet" for printing
    Tip for the day; Treat every problem as your dog would.....If you cant eat it or f*ck it....then p*ss on it & walk away...

Quote Originally Posted by kingarthur View Post
    is the customer using "Printnet" for printing
    I believe they are printing from both Acrobat Pro and Acrobat reader (free download version), depending on what they have open at the time.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts kingarthur's Avatar

these devices work better using the built in "printnet", log on to the device via the IP, you have all the print software etc you need.
    Tip for the day; Treat every problem as your dog would.....If you cant eat it or f*ck it....then p*ss on it & walk away...

Quote Originally Posted by kingarthur View Post
    these devices work better using the built in "printnet", log on to the device via the IP, you have all the print software etc you need.
    I didn't realize that. I'll let my customer know. Thanks!

Does the firmware version in the pic I posted above look like it needs updating? If so, any idea where I can get it from?

Follow up - Customer has been printnet, which works with no problems. We also found the setting "wake on LAN" (or something similar), turned that on, and it it seems to be working well from Adobe programs now as well.