KIP 7170 Roll 1 unfeeding itself

HEy guys used to be in the printer field worked on a few kips but this was a few years ago no my current job has a kip that I still have a Manuel/Parts list for. Ive done some troubleshooting and roll one will load, detect, and print a page or two say there is a jam, unload itself and then say its out of paper. Roll two works fine so nothing blocking the paper path, I'm assuming its a sensor or a clutch? There is no code to look up just says jam, googling turned up nothing, seeing if anyone else has experienced this. Let me know if you need anymore info. I have cleaned off the sensors and feed rollers, there was an instance I got it to print about 5 sheets in a row but after each sheet printed it too about 30 seconds for the next one to go instead of it being one after the other.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    KIP 7170 Roll 1 unfeeding itself

Re: KIP 7170 Roll 1 unfeeding itself

Lol! I remember that. It's called a rewinder error. The machine is not detecting the correct amount of back-tension on the paper roll.

At start of print job roll rewinds, then states: "Out of paper.". Plotter feeds out ~6 feet of paper, then states: "Out of paper". Roll gripping claws are loose, allowing roll to slip on the spindles, mainly left spindle since the left drives the roll. Tighten loose screws that secure the roll gripping claws. (The inner diameter of the roll may also be larger than 3", allowing it to slip on the claws).

This one was from a Kip 3000, but could happen on the 7170:
    Prints only 18" of the first page. Then feeds out 64" of blank paper without cutting and displays "Paper jam in paper exit (J-07)." When paper is removed displays "Load paper roll2" and roll2 paper is unloaded. Only roll2 paper source affected. Enter service mode: hold Menu while powering printer ON > release Menu > hold * while pressing <, <, >, <, release *. Menu x2 to "(2) Info Mode" > Enter > right arrow to "(22) Jam Codes" > Enter to browse up to 20 most recent jams. To exit service mode: hold Menu while pressing *, release Menu. Roll2 paper roll measures 36⅛". When paper right stop is set to 36" the left end of the roll rubs on the drive housing on the left, resisting paper feed. Wear marks can be seen in the metal plating of the drive assy. Adjust right stop to 36⅛" and re-center roll for clearance at the left. Rewinder drive clock pulse sensor may become intermittent (Sharp 73 Photointerrupter: 9000100811 or Toshiba: C0-10813000)

Enjoy!! =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Re: KIP 7170 Roll 1 unfeeding itself

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Lol! I remember that. It's called a rewinder error. The machine is not detecting the correct amount of back-tension on the paper roll.

At start of print job roll rewinds, then states: "Out of paper.". Plotter feeds out ~6 feet of paper, then states: "Out of paper". Roll gripping claws are loose, allowing roll to slip on the spindles, mainly left spindle since the left drives the roll. Tighten loose screws that secure the roll gripping claws. (The inner diameter of the roll may also be larger than 3", allowing it to slip on the claws).

This one was from a Kip 3000, but could happen on the 7170:
    Prints only 18" of the first page. Then feeds out 64" of blank paper without cutting and displays "Paper jam in paper exit (J-07)." When paper is removed displays "Load paper roll2" and roll2 paper is unloaded. Only roll2 paper source affected. Enter service mode: hold Menu while powering printer ON > release Menu > hold * while pressing <, <, >, <, release *. Menu x2 to "(2) Info Mode" > Enter > right arrow to "(22) Jam Codes" > Enter to browse up to 20 most recent jams. To exit service mode: hold Menu while pressing *, release Menu. Roll2 paper roll measures 36⅛". When paper right stop is set to 36" the left end of the roll rubs on the drive housing on the left, resisting paper feed. Wear marks can be seen in the metal plating of the drive assy. Adjust right stop to 36⅛" and re-center roll for clearance at the left. Rewinder drive clock pulse sensor may become intermittent (Sharp 73 Photointerrupter: 9000100811 or Toshiba: C0-10813000)

Enjoy!! =^..^=
    Appreciate you! The teeth were tight but I folded up some paper and shimmed them out to fit tighter in the tube. Should work until I can get some new ones! Thanks again!