Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

OKI 9850MFP Yellow and Magents not printing clearly with new drums and toner.

Hi Folks,

We have a client in the middle of the Indian Ocean that has no hope of tech support. They have a 6 month old OKI C9850MFP.
    The issue they have is a very poor print quality. The user has changed the yellow and magenta drum units and also added new OEM cartridges. (They only ever use genuine OKI toners). The yellow and magenta print quality is very grainy and very light. I have sent them instructions on cleaning the LED (but because in the instruction there was a picture of only one LED i am afraid that they may have only cleaned the far left LED shown in the photo and not all four).

BUT does anyone have any other recommendations on what to check on the machine. Its hard to get them to diagnose the components such as voltage to the drum units, so if anyone has had any experiences of this type or error on the OKI's which we have found to be almost bullet proof i would appreciate any suggestions.

The machine is not reporting any user intervention required and i am trying to get them to send me a diagnostics page.

I know there is not much information to go on from what i have typed - but you can see the dilemma that i am in.

Thank you ever so much.

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts Eric1968's Avatar

Re: OKI 9850MFP Yellow and Magents not printing clearly with new drums and toner.

You can instruct them to remove all supplies (drum/toner, transfer belt), and have them carefully clean all contacts. This sounds like a bad contact somewhere.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Lightbulb Re: OKI 9850MFP Yellow and Magents not printing clearly with new drums and toner.

This Service Manual can now be purchased for $12.77 and downloaded immediately after payment from

Just Manuals ~ The Internet's largest selection of manuals ~ Instant Downloads

Paul@justmanuals.com

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: OKI 9850MFP Yellow and Magents not printing clearly with new drums and toner.

Hi,I would first get them to print a full colour cmyk or similar chart if you have one to gauge properly the problem.Post the result here if possible.
    If you wish I can send you a pdf of a cmyk chart,just pm me.
    Also,is it possible you could get the customer to switch one of the bad colours led's to a good one, i.e. switch the yellow led with the black one,magenta with cyan.
    They are not too difficult to switch if someone is even a little bit technical.I wouldn't normally recommend this but you seem to suggest they are extremely remote and since they are so far away it will help you diagnose your problem faster.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by dickierock View Post
    Hi,I would first get them to print a full colour cmyk or similar chart if you have one to gauge properly the problem.Post the result here if possible.
    If you wish I can send you a pdf of a cmyk chart,just pm me.
    Also,is it possible you could get the customer to switch one of the bad colours led's to a good one, i.e. switch the yellow led with the black one,magenta with cyan.
    They are not too difficult to switch if someone is even a little bit technical.I wouldn't normally recommend this but you seem to suggest they are extremely remote and since they are so far away it will help you diagnose your problem faster.

Thank you so much for your response.

I have attached a copy of the pdf of the printed colour charts. It seems that magenta and yellow are the issue. Whether its the LED's or the drum units its really hard to diagnose without being next to the machine. But the user did say they replaced the drum units to see if it was the problem, but the problem still persists after changing the drum units.

Again any assistance is greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ebulich; 03-06-2012 at 10:05 AM.

Technician

An update, the client has cleaned the toner density sensor, but the same problem still persists. My next bet is the Transfer belt.

Does anyone have any other solutions.

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts Eric1968's Avatar

I think there is lot more wrong here than drums. If I look at the charts you can see that there's CMYK everywhere. So the machine can print those colors. I think you can rule out the transfer belt, because there's toner transfer over the whole page. I'm thinking of the controller or engine board.You can always swap the LED-Heads to see if the problem moves from one color to the other. LED-Heads have a lifetime warranty.In the service mode you can enable Maintenance Menu Print. When this is enabled you get a new option in the List Print menu called ID-Pattern. With this poption you can print 2 pages with all 4 colors.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Could it be something as simple as poor transfer, as a result of ... moist paper?

IMHO all colors are equally affected. It could be a contact problem, but that would limit the problem to a specific color. Your color registration is way off, but a simple color registration should solve that. What sort of power are they running on? I don't know what the power standards are at the customer site (100v, 120v, 220v), but +/- 10% vac is the minimum standard. +/- 5% is even better. If they're running off a generator or power converter, the power could be very unreliable.

It helps that you attached a very good sample. =^..^=
    Last edited by blackcat4866; 03-18-2012 at 10:55 PM.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts

your color charts suggest that this is 1 of those wonderful FIery equiped units. Has your customer tried any kind of calibration??
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

Technician

I have asked tem to try and run a calibration manually but they insist that they can't find anything in the menus on calibration. Perhaps it may have something to do with the Fiery controller. But of course not being able to see the machine its so hard to even contemplate of where to go next.

Does anyone know whether the Fiery contoller is actually an inbuilt device on the machine, or is it stand alone like days gone by.

Its like trying to read in the dark