Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Re: What were your favorite toys?

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Mattel Vac-U-Form - Got hot enough to nearly melt small sheets of plastic, then would mold the plastic over a form.
    Lucky bastage, I remember wanting one of those but not getting it.
    My brothers and I also had Matchbox and Hot Wheels cars and some track. It was always fun to see if you could get your car to go around the loop. We even had demolition derbies with them - we'd push a couple of cars across the floor as hard as we could so that they would collide head on, and whoever's car didn't flip over won. That stopped after we found out that my Hot Wheels Rolls Royce Gray Ghost was undefeatable.
    I did like putting together plastic scale models of cars and things. I probably still have the model of a NASCAR Thunderbird I put together, I think the actual car was driven by Cale Yarborough. The model most likely isn't in that good of shape any more, though.
    Did you ever give your bike a nickname? I had a big heavy steel frame one speed bike with a coaster brake back in the day. I nicknamed it "Big Gray Ouch" in honor of the rash I got on my ankle thanks to it being in contact with the chain when I rode the bike down the big hill for the first time.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    Lucky bastage, I remember wanting one of those but not getting it.
    My brothers and I also had Matchbox and Hot Wheels cars and some track. It was always fun to see if you could get your car to go around the loop. We even had demolition derbies with them - we'd push a couple of cars across the floor as hard as we could so that they would collide head on, and whoever's car didn't flip over won. That stopped after we found out that my Hot Wheels Rolls Royce Gray Ghost was undefeatable.
    I did like putting together plastic scale models of cars and things. I probably still have the model of a NASCAR Thunderbird I put together, I think the actual car was driven by Cale Yarborough. The model most likely isn't in that good of shape any more, though.
    Did you ever give your bike a nickname? I had a big heavy steel frame one speed bike with a coaster brake back in the day. I nicknamed it "Big Gray Ouch" in honor of the rash I got on my ankle thanks to it being in contact with the chain when I rode the bike down the big hill for the first time.
    Once i got a chopper bicycle when i was in high school days for christmas. I got it,becuase we reared goats and to round them up i use to use foot, so my parents always knew i wanted this bike, cause it was the one every teenager wanted at that time. my parents could barely afford this, but i think i deserved it too.

here is an exact pic of it.

future christmas presents ????

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts

Both of my favorites were kites..the 1st one in the 60's (around 7-8) was shaped like a plane (think Cessna) with wings that rotated around their axis. As the wind caught the wings, it would lift right off the ground and soar like a bird..Wish I could find it again. The 2nd kite had dual cables and it could be maneuvered to fly in any direction. These are pretty easy to find today. You could even stack multiple kites on top of each other..I saw on some NatGeo channel where they could lift you off the ground if you lost control. Emujo
    If you don't see your question answered in the forum, please don't think it's OK to PM me for a personal reply...I do not give out firmware and/or manuals.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by subaro View Post
    future christmas presents ????
    The winning lotto numbers before they are drawn......................
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    What were your favorite toys?

The best Christmas presents I ever got were a Meccano set,

Meccano.jpg

And a Philip Junior Electronics set,

ee10.jpg

I played with them happily for hours until one day when I made the fatal mistake of combining them both together and and for penance had to spent the rest of my life fixing photocopiers!
    So basically I blame my parents for my failure to ever get a proper job and make something of myself.
    Last edited by Lagonda; 12-22-2015 at 10:46 PM.
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Exok's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Exok View Post
    As hard as i try, i cannot remember those very early age.

One of the favourite that we liked very much was " top spinning". It was a year round thing, but at christmas time it is when we looked foward to geeting new ones as they were very affordable. we would have competition with a game where in a toss the looser would have to put his top on the ground and the other would have to spin and hit the top on the ground. if he missed then the reverse. the aim was a start and finish line that you would have to use the spinning top to move the top on the ground towards the finish line. who was the unfortunate one to be the first to cross the line would then come up for jigs. this is where the winner would tie his top in a pendulum type of way so he can swing at the top to try to split it open or but holes into the guys top. we would buy the top or make them, and remove the original spindle and put nails and get them spinning perfectly by tuning the nail angles by slightly bending the nail. lots of guys will go home without their tops and crying because it was busted or deep jig holes. [ It was a dangerous sport as the nail was sharp and long and if missed could cause serious damage]

here is a very huge top in a diffrent country i found on you tube. and below is the ones we bought.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    The winning lotto numbers before they are drawn......................
    Now now mr. matrix, you need to go put a pot of coffee on and have a cup or two. In other words wake up from that dream. As the saying goes wishfull thinking.

Someone in the family would get board games like LUDO,SNAKE AND LADDER AND MONOPOLY. When we go over to visit family [and this was huge ] those times use to be real fun as mums,dads, uncle and aunts could have all played with the role of the dice and move up the results places. A single game for family fun. i wonder if that still exits today as with the electronic gifts nowadays.