Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 79

Thread: Electronics

  1. #51
    RTFM!! 2,500+ Posts allan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Centurion
    Posts
    3,533
    Rep Power
    71

    Re: Electronics

    Quote Originally Posted by Bix View Post
    Have you ever heard of Arduino?
    With him you could do many interesting things.

    Yes been using it. The C code is sometimes a little tricky for me but getting there.
    Whatever

  2. #52
    RTFM!! 2,500+ Posts allan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Centurion
    Posts
    3,533
    Rep Power
    71

    Re: Electronics

    Here is my take on a pen plotter. 3 Lexmarks died for this, what a good day.

    Whatever

  3. #53
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,005
    Rep Power
    51

    Re: Electronics

    Allan! Dude, that is awesome, kinda like the idea to do such cool things, just because you can
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

  4. #54
    Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sunshine State QLD.
    Posts
    3,195
    Rep Power
    81

    Re: Electronics

    Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    Here is my take on a pen plotter. 3 Lexmarks died for this, what a good day.

    snip
    Well done. I'm jealous....

    I would like to do the exact same thing. I have fully designed a 3rd router machine from the ground up, I have motor driver boards ready to build, but I have been too lazy to get in an do any more...

    Instead of C++ have you had a look at G-Code? A lot of CNC machines use G-code. A few CAD programs convert to G-Code as well.

    It looks like you've designed built the machine from 3D printed parts.

    Congrates to you...


    PS...
    Would luv a peek at your adrino setup.
    What if we could count the stars... , what number would you stop at...?"
    [Exchange manual acquisitions, PM's CTN members only. ]
    [] |N | | o | M | Δ | t | π | | x | []

  5. #55
    RTFM!! 2,500+ Posts allan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Centurion
    Posts
    3,533
    Rep Power
    71

    Re: Electronics

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    Would luv a peek at your adrino setup.
    Hope to get into the Arduino stuff again soon.

    Started by wondering how to use some of the parts that comes off from scrap machines.
    Some of these stepper motors could be as much as $80 if you need to buy them.
    The first CNC thing i made was one of those mini CD ROM machines that use a servo for the pen lift.
    That used 2 L293 chips to drive the motors and was controlled by an Arduino and a dev platform called "Processing 3" that fed the gcode line by line.

    This machine has no torque and can do anything else but wow those tiny motors run!

    Jip its an industrial class controller check out LinuxCNC distro or Mach3/4. LinuxCNC is not limited and completely opensource.
    Fusion 360 CAM is awesome and the included post processors allows for almost any kind of machine.

    Would like to see you get your router running.
    What do you use for CAD?
    Whatever

  6. #56
    Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sunshine State QLD.
    Posts
    3,195
    Rep Power
    81

    Re: Electronics

    Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    Hope to get into the Arduino stuff again soon.

    Started by wondering how to use some of the parts that comes off from scrap machines.
    Some of these stepper motors could be as much as $80 if you need to buy them.
    The first CNC thing i made was one of those mini CD ROM machines that use a servo for the pen lift.
    That used 2 L293 chips to drive the motors and was controlled by an Arduino and a dev platform called "Processing 3" that fed the gcode line by line.

    This machine has no torque and can do anything else but wow those tiny motors run!

    Jip its an industrial class controller check out LinuxCNC distro or Mach3/4. LinuxCNC is not limited and completely opensource.
    Fusion 360 CAM is awesome and the included post processors allows for almost any kind of machine.

    Would like to see you get your router running.
    What do you use for CAD?
    Sounds like the go...
    Post some URL's about the Linux and Fusion modules etc....


    Re. CAD.
    I'm familiar with a couple of different setups AutoCAD R12, RhinoCAD, Solidworks, TurboCAD...
    I very much prefer Solidworks CAD,but I can't afford the $17K-$20K price tag for home use, so I use a cheaper $300 TurboCAD system.

    I don't know if you're familiar with 3D modelling or vector graphics, but TurboCAD allows for fully programmable parametric parts. Once a 3D part is converted to parametric you can treat that 3D drawing as an object. You can then drag-n-drop that object onto a new or existing model work space. You can then quickly adjust the X,Y,Z factors of the object to fit the new model or drawing. Parametric objects are time consuming to first set up but are far more efficient in the long term.
    Similar to Solidworks ,TurboCAD Parametric parts are a very efficient fast way to model 3D CAD works ready to send G-Code to a CNC machine.
    What if we could count the stars... , what number would you stop at...?"
    [Exchange manual acquisitions, PM's CTN members only. ]
    [] |N | | o | M | Δ | t | π | | x | []

  7. #57
    RTFM!! 2,500+ Posts allan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Centurion
    Posts
    3,533
    Rep Power
    71

    Re: Electronics

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    Sounds like the go...
    Post some URL's about the Linux and Fusion modules etc....


    Re. CAD.
    I'm familiar with a couple of different setups AutoCAD R12, RhinoCAD, Solidworks, TurboCAD...
    I very much prefer Solidworks CAD,but I can't afford the $17K-$20K price tag for home use, so I use a cheaper $300 TurboCAD system.

    I don't know if you're familiar with 3D modelling or vector graphics, but TurboCAD allows for fully programmable parametric parts. Once a 3D part is converted to parametric you can treat that 3D drawing as an object. You can then drag-n-drop that object onto a new or existing model work space. You can then quickly adjust the X,Y,Z factors of the object to fit the new model or drawing. Parametric objects are time consuming to first set up but are far more efficient in the long term.
    Similar to Solidworks ,TurboCAD Parametric parts are a very efficient fast way to model 3D CAD works ready to send G-Code to a CNC machine.
    Know Solidworks really well use to have access to it, loved the ability to create configuration tables using excel and the linked dimensions.Sheet metal was a breeze. But like you mentioned its super expensive.
    Downloaded the free 30 day Fusion 360 trial and applied for a free hobbyist license and now its activated for personal use! Its not as intuitive as Solidworks at first but you grow into it. CAM side is brilliant.

    For the 2D CAD try Draftsight from the creators of Solidworks its free. Had Solidworks installed and uninstalled on my PC since then it does not run.
    Found nanoCAD also free to use and works really well.

    nanoCAD - Cost-effective CAD Software for DWG files and 3D CAD/CAM Design Software. NanoCAD - 3D Design, Engineering CAD CAM Software for DWG

    DraftSight | SOLIDWORKS

    LinuxCNC

    Fusion 360 | Free Software for Students, Educators | Autodesk
    Whatever

  8. #58
    Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sunshine State QLD.
    Posts
    3,195
    Rep Power
    81

    Re: Electronics

    Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    Know Solidworks really well use to have access to it, loved the ability to create configuration tables using excel and the linked dimensions.Sheet metal was a breeze. But like you mentioned its super expensive.

    Re. Solidworks bug.
    A few years ago an engineer associate loan me a version of Solidworks 2006. I could never get it to run properly as it would just stop working for no reason.

    TurboCAD has a full very detail parts database and Excel spread sheet interface. It allows for bill-of-materials and materials schedules directly into every CAD drawing.
    Comes in handy when you want to see a materials schedule printed directly beside the drawing or attached as an addendum at the back.

    ----update----
    I checked out the solidworks URL you sent. I see that Solidworks company is providing a student version of Solidworks. I email them years ago for a similar student version of their product, but they wouldn't enter into it. Good to see that their company is offering a student version. They finally realized the more people who can use their Solidworks products the more they make in sales.

    Contact Academic Sales | SOLIDWORKS

    hhttps://www.solidworks.com/contact-academic-sales
    Last edited by NeoMatrix; 11-14-2018 at 09:49 PM.
    What if we could count the stars... , what number would you stop at...?"
    [Exchange manual acquisitions, PM's CTN members only. ]
    [] |N | | o | M | Δ | t | π | | x | []

  9. #59
    RTFM!! 2,500+ Posts allan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Centurion
    Posts
    3,533
    Rep Power
    71

    Re: Electronics

    Realize how much i suck at taking videos and photos...
    One way to skin the circuit making rat.



    IC 555 single button on-off switch with reed relay for output.
    Relay_thing[1].jpg
    To be running LED circuit using IC 4017. Just for fun to check the development process before the micro controller stuff starts.
    LED_thing[1].jpg
    The first circuit i learned 20 years ago! The mind breaking astable multi vibrator that in idea theoretical condition is not suppose to work.
    What determines the first transistor to bias? The travel distance of the electrons?
    Flashy_thing[1].jpg

    Really need gloves for this ferric chloride stuff.
    Last edited by allan; 01-03-2019 at 09:41 PM.
    Whatever

  10. #60
    RTFM!! 2,500+ Posts allan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Centurion
    Posts
    3,533
    Rep Power
    71

    Re: Electronics

    New tricks learned.

    Circuit Maker by Altium. Well worth the pain of the learning curve, understanding DRC (design rule checking) almost had me crying.
    There must be easier ways to get boards designed but this is as close to industry standard software as i can get without paying a fortune.
    Then there was FlatCAM straight forward awesomeness free to use by one Juan Pablo Caram.
    CAMotics for G-code simulation is great to get a preview of the paths and speeds and saves a lot of time to verify files before execution.
    Whatever

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Get the Android App
click or scan for the Copytechnet Mobile App

-= -= -= -= -=


IDrive Remote Backup

Lunarpages Internet Solutions

Advertise on Copytechnet

Your Link Here