Page 20 of 653 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293070120520 ... LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Re: Just how Crazy is Donald Trump!

Freedom caucus members ran on very specific issues. The people who voted for them expect them to do things, and they are doing them. It's not their fault that Trump promised to repeal something and then tried to replace it with more of the same.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    The point of our discussion about Climate change was to change the topic away from the destructive conversations thread participants were having approx four days ago over President Trump's claims of wire-tapping.

I am much more concerned about what will happen if Congress is not able to pass a bill to continue to fund the US gov't on April 28th and the serious internal fracturing of the Republican Congress by members of the Freedom House Caucus. Something even I agree with President Trump on.

Trump threatens Freedom Caucus and Democrats on Twitter

I still have not forgiven the Republican party for willingly shutting down the Gov't the last time. This caused permanent harm to the USA's credit rating and cost billions of dollars in extra interest charges against the towering US debt, now at 77% of US GDP.
    Well, I guess that worked exactly as expected then. Nice going.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Just how Crazy is Donald Trump!

If Congress cannot pass a new funding bill by April 28th , the markets will go into a complete tail spin around the world.

I personally have made a nice $35,000.00 gain in my Retirement Savings plan (the Trump bump) since Jan and I do not want to give it back.

If Congress is bickering all the way up to April 21, I will sell my equities and go to cash, ride it out and see what happens on the other side. It is better to loose 5-10% on the opportunity side than 10-20% on a market crash.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Trump poised to sign away US citizens browsing history

They might wanna sell you a photocopier, and I thought living in the UK was bad.
    When you think you have made a procedure idiot proof your company employs a better idiot.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Regarding the browsing history:

I believe there's kind of a cultural difference here. The American way of thinking, is that nothing goes to waste. I don't mean environmentally... I mean monetarily. If a manufacturer is throwing out a ton of waste product every month, you can bet your ass he's gonna search for a way to SELL that waste instead of tossing it. If I understand the history, that's why we have fluoride in the water. It's a waste product. (that's what I was told by someone, anyway... I could be dead wrong about it.) My point is, that we look at every aspect of a business to figure out how we can make MORE money. Maximize every part of it to pull something in.

Data is worth a lot of money. Most people look at it as personal history, but not everyone does. Marketers look at it as statistics. And they can predict behavior by studying it. So they can see what search and browsing behaviors are going to turn into purchasing behaviors. That's all this is. No one is tracking a specific person. No one is sharing "personal information." What's being shared is statistics.

Now for some hard truths. You're paying an ISP. You use their service to access the WWW. If the contract allows for them to share your browsing information (statistics), there shouldn't be any law against it. If someone wants greater privacy, they should find a company who doesn't share the information. In fact, that would be a good selling point for a new ISP. But Obama's law directly interferes with the market. Data sharing is what makes internet access cheaper and cheaper, and government has no right putting their hands into it.

The new internet privacy laws that were approved at the end of the Obama administration and cancelled by President Trump's new Executive Order of this week, had not yet come into enforcement. Therefore, nothing has really changed here.

ISP's and other large corporations are free to data mine your internet browsing history for the purposes of marketing and profit.

The one thing you need to know about your internet privacy in the Trump era is to lower your expectations.
    Last edited by SalesServiceGuy; 04-01-2017 at 11:55 PM.

I think one of President Trump's biggest challenges going forward is dealing with the Freedom Caucus. Not only does he have to battle Democrats to push his legislative agenda forward, he has to confront the Freedom Caucus, formerly known as the Tea Party supported by large pools of "dark money" from the Koch brothers.

"The partisan turf war involves the ragtag group of far-right Republicans who refused to support Trump's American Health Care Act. On Thursday, he threatened to dash their 2018 re-election chances as punishment for derailing his push for health-care reform.

But instead of atoning, the ultra-conservative agitators responded to Trump's words with gleeful taunting.

Congressional experts struggled to make sense of why Trump risked alienating the Republican faction, given the math in the House. More than 30 members are believed to comprise the House Freedom Caucus, out of 240 Republican seats. Trump's bills wouldn't reach the 218 votes needed for passage without the bloc's support. "On any issue of which the Republicans have given up on securing votes, the Freedom Caucus is pivotal," said Sarah Binder, a senior fellow in governance studies at the Brookings Institution. It's also clear they know their defiant role, which supports measures observing pure conservative orthodoxy and makes them power brokers in the lower chamber.

The defiant Freedom Caucus Republicans represent districts in solidly red states. Many of those legislators were Trump defenders during the presidential campaign. Many Freedom Caucus members also outran Trump in their districts. Their re-election chances in the 2018 midterms would appear safe, despite Trump suggesting he might back primary challengers to oppose them. Days before the vote collapsed last Friday, the president visited the Capitol. He told Freedom Caucus chairman Mark Meadows his bloc had better fall in line. Trump wanted Meadows to endorse the health bill.
    Or else? "Mark, I'm coming after you," Trump warned, according to the Hill Times.

Trump's problem is he doesn't have any leverage in the form of political capital, says Alan Wiseman, a Vanderbilt University professor who has researched legislative strategy and effectiveness in Congress. The president faces historically dismal poll numbers, a conservative opposition whose popularity in their districts surpasses his, and a disinclination to strike deals with Democrats in a deeply polarized Congress.

"A reasonable interpretation for what he's doing is that he and his advisers believe that his policy agenda really represents the will of the constituents of the Freedom Caucus," Wiseman says. "By going public with his displeasure of the Freedom Caucus, I'm assuming that he assumes his constituents will put increased pressure on them to bargain with the president."
    That strategy could also "backfire dramatically," Wiseman adds, as many of the Freedom Caucus members already enjoy strong local backing.

Trump's legislative landscape looks rough. Research has long shown that a president's influence over Congress is closely related to public approval ratings.

Wiseman notes Trump's poll results are hardly inspiring. His support dipped to 35 per cent in a Gallup Daily Tracking survey last week
    "For a president to get members of Congress to vote for things they don't want to vote for, the president has to at least be popular," Wiseman says. Without adequate political cover, Republican representatives would have no incentive to back the president's agenda, says Molly Reynolds, a senior fellow in governance studies with the Brookings Institution.
    She sees a certain irony at play, noting that Trump is being restrained by the very anti-establishment forces that helped vault him to the White House. Since its inception in 2015, the Freedom Caucus has had a mindset of persistent opposition while a Democratic president, Barack Obama, was in charge, Reynolds says.

Its resistance now to Trump is "consistent with the identity the Freedom Caucus fashioned for itself," Reynolds says. Only now, the president — the darling of anti-establishment Republicans in 2016 — is opposing the anti-establishment Republicans of 2017.
    "So much of what the Freedom Caucus tried to do over time was hold the House leadership's feet to the fire. I'm not terribly surprised some of them have a similar posture towards Trump."
    Now that Republicans control both chambers and the White House, Reynolds says, "they're having to make this transition from being an opposition party to being a governing party."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/trump-health-care-freedom-caucus-1.4050847

Like President Obama, most of President Trump's meaningful changes to America will likely be via the power of Executive Action orders that do not require votes from neither the Freedom Caucus nor Democrats.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    The new internet privacy laws that were approved at the end of the Obama administration and cancelled by President Trump's new Executive Order of this week, had not yet come into enforcement. Therefore, nothing has really changed here.

ISP's and other large corporations are free to data mine your internet browsing history for the purposes of marketing and profit.

The one thing you need to know about your internet privacy in the Trump era is to lower your expectations.
    Just one more reason that personal responsibility is important to a free society.
    (Sorry about the clip. I couldn't find the one from the movie "Spawn", which is much better.)
    Last edited by Iowatech; 04-02-2017 at 03:32 AM. Reason: I've been here long enough, you'd think I'd get this done on the first try by now.

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    Regarding the browsing history:

I believe there's kind of a cultural difference here. The American way of thinking, is that nothing goes to waste. I don't mean environmentally... I mean monetarily. If a manufacturer is throwing out a ton of waste product every month, you can bet your ass he's gonna search for a way to SELL that waste instead of tossing it. If I understand the history, that's why we have fluoride in the water. It's a waste product. (that's what I was told by someone, anyway... I could be dead wrong about it.) My point is, that we look at every aspect of a business to figure out how we can make MORE money. Maximize every part of it to pull something in.

Data is worth a lot of money. Most people look at it as personal history, but not everyone does. Marketers look at it as statistics. And they can predict behavior by studying it. So they can see what search and browsing behaviors are going to turn into purchasing behaviors. That's all this is. No one is tracking a specific person. No one is sharing "personal information." What's being shared is statistics.

Now for some hard truths. You're paying an ISP. You use their service to access the WWW. If the contract allows for them to share your browsing information (statistics), there shouldn't be any law against it. If someone wants greater privacy, they should find a company who doesn't share the information. In fact, that would be a good selling point for a new ISP. But Obama's law directly interferes with the market. Data sharing is what makes internet access cheaper and cheaper, and government has no right putting their hands into it.
    It always surprises me how little value some people put on their personal privacy. To believe a company is actually lowering the price of their product just because they are also selling your browsing history is not realising just how greedy share holders are.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post

Well that's one way of looking at it, personally I feel your browsing history, even if they say its just statistics is personal to you. Suppose you looked up a medical condition and an insurance company that you later phoned knew of this.
    When you think you have made a procedure idiot proof your company employs a better idiot.