Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Technician

Re: Lazy technicians

Quote Originally Posted by gneebore View Post
    Customers are also requiring more IT from techs than just technical expertise. Quite a few times I was asked to troubleshoot a scanning to network or e-mail problem. All I could do was go get my mini network, laptop, router, and cables and set the ip address to match the printer and disconnect from their network. Then print scan and do everything with my laptop. If it worked (only had one network card fail this test procedure) then I unplugged my equipment and plugged theirs back in and tried it again with their computer operator doing the test prints and scans. I usually would insist that someone from their computer office if onsite be there when I did this. Then I would show them my settings, print them out and let them go back and troubleshoot their network.
    Our company has a fully trained I.T. person assigned to each branch. We have four branches. They will do the setup and network install for free as part of the initial sales agreement. After that, we are supposed to charge $145.00 per hour to fix network issues. We make it clear that we are not a network repair company, and network issues are not covered under the copier service agreement. I feel that if we are going to charge a customer for such issues, that they should get someone who is trained. I am not Network trained. So I generally will send someone else. I understand Networking, and can do minor troubleshooting. I have to do something like that over and over again before I can really get good at it. Last December we installed 87 new machines at one account. All had to be setup with new drivers and with Scan to Email. The drivers were not a problem, but I could not remember all the settings I needed for Scan to Email. Our man gave them to me. After that, I completed all of them with no problem. I have not done one since, and for the life of me I can not remember what all I need to set them up again.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Our company has a fully trained I.T. person assigned to each branch. We have four branches. They will do the setup and network install for free as part of the initial sales agreement. After that, we are supposed to charge $145.00 per hour to fix network issues. We make it clear that we are not a network repair company, and network issues are not covered under the copier service agreement. I feel that if we are going to charge a customer for such issues, that they should get someone who is trained. I am not Network trained. So I generally will send someone else. I understand Networking, and can do minor troubleshooting. I have to do something like that over and over again before I can really get good at it. Last December we installed 87 new machines at one account. All had to be setup with new drivers and with Scan to Email. The drivers were not a problem, but I could not remember all the settings I needed for Scan to Email. Our man gave them to me. After that, I completed all of them with no problem. I have not done one since, and for the life of me I can not remember what all I need to set them up again.

I originally started with electronic typewriters as printers. Parallel port hookup and no networking. My personal favorite way to set the "printer" up was to hand the unopened drivers floppy disks to the user and let them do the install with me guiding them. Yes this was far enough back in stone aged computer time that we actually had to set up printers with dos 3.3 and even set up some software with specialty drivers. Think Word Perfect 4.0. So it was relatively easy and safe to handle installs that way. Kind of like, "Here I can show you how to do it so you don't have to wait until I can come back if you need to do this with a new pc"

Then we started with digital copiers and in the case of a small two to four machine network no real problems. Part of the training was actually how to network the copiers. But eventually we started getting sales and installs in large companies. That was when my boss added a clause to "We do not repair or diagnose network problems. That is the responsibility of the customer" to the service contract. Had to add that because customers were always claiming making sure it worked on their network was our job and part of the servicing of the equipment. Got to be real fun sometimes when I'd go on a call and have to explain "If it works with those four and not those two then you have a problems with the network. And we do not fix network problems"

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by gneebore View Post
    I originally started with electronic typewriters as printers. Parallel port hookup and no networking. My personal favorite way to set the "printer" up was to hand the unopened drivers floppy disks to the user and let them do the install with me guiding them. Yes this was far enough back in stone aged computer time that we actually had to set up printers with dos 3.3 and even set up some software with specialty drivers. Think Word Perfect 4.0. So it was relatively easy and safe to handle installs that way. Kind of like, "Here I can show you how to do it so you don't have to wait until I can come back if you need to do this with a new pc"

Then we started with digital copiers and in the case of a small two to four machine network no real problems. Part of the training was actually how to network the copiers. But eventually we started getting sales and installs in large companies. That was when my boss added a clause to "We do not repair or diagnose network problems. That is the responsibility of the customer" to the service contract. Had to add that because customers were always claiming making sure it worked on their network was our job and part of the servicing of the equipment. Got to be real fun sometimes when I'd go on a call and have to explain "If it works with those four and not those two then you have a problems with the network. And we do not fix network problems"
    Boy does all that sound familiar. By the way guys, our company in Bakersfield California is looking to hire a new tech. We've needed one for a long time to help out the three that are there now. Our owner finally gave the word to start looking for someone. As usual, Network training is a plus, but not a requirement. We service Ricoh brand. Send me a private message if you are interested.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Lazy technicians

We have three techs (including me). I'm the only one who can troubleshoot and repair almost anything (desktops, laptops, printers). The other two....well.....let's just leave it there...................

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Lazy technicians

Quote Originally Posted by Lance15 View Post
    We have three techs (including me). I'm the only one who can troubleshoot and repair almost anything (desktops, laptops, printers). The other two....well.....let's just leave it there...................
    I know this thread is three years old but I don't give a damn, I have had one of those days where the lazy ones reveal themselves, and it pisses me off. None of us are expected to work like in a Chinese sweatshop but some just don't want to take on something even slightly challenging.
    When you think you have made a procedure idiot proof your company employs a better idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by skynet View Post
    I know this thread is three years old but I don't give a damn, I have had one of those days where the lazy ones reveal themselves, and it pisses me off. None of us are expected to work like in a Chinese sweatshop but some just don't want to take on something even slightly challenging.
    Give them the information and skynet still can't read

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Lazy technicians

Like someone here said once: Politics doesn't make any friends.
    Defects are simple, our mind is complicated

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Lazy technicians

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    Give them the information and skynet still can't read
    WTF?
    can you let your animosity drop for one FUCKING MOMENT?
    I'm sorry he has put you to shame in other rant n rave threads but YOU always refuse to read anything that doesn't agree with your views.
    Stop harassing users here fuckwad.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    WTF?
    can you let your animosity drop for one FUCKING MOMENT?
    I'm sorry he has put you to shame in other rant n rave threads but YOU always refuse to read anything that doesn't agree with your views.
    Stop harassing users here fuckwad.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hilarious
    Stop stalking me Dude

Former KM Senior Tech 500+ Posts srvctec's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skynet View Post
    I know what you mean! I'd just be happy if they'd clean the damn machine (THOROUGHLY, not half assed!) so when I go back in a day or two for something else they were too lazy to do, at least I wouldn't also have to do that.
    Started in the copier service business in the fall of 1988 and worked at the same company for 33.5 years, becoming the senior tech in 2004 but left to pursue another career on 4/29/22.