Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Lazy technicians

Re: Lazy technicians

Quote Originally Posted by srvctec View Post
    I know what you mean! I'd just be happy if they'd clean the damn machine (THOROUGHLY, not half assed!) so when I go back in a day or two for something else they were too lazy to do, at least I wouldn't also have to do that.
    This!!

I've been around my fair share of lazy techs.
    Techs that "hit and run" a machine, you know, replace a part and OUT the door, BUT will still put "Cleaned as needed" or "Cleaned Machine interior". Then I'll go back a couple days/ weeks later, and it's obvious they did not clean a damn thing. "Cleaned machine interior", for me, includes a quick wipe-down of dust on certain guides, blasting the transport/ ID sensors with some air, a quick cleaning/ or replacing of feed rollers, taking the wand to the laser glasses, and optics if they're dirty. If there's toner on the covers, I'll give that a quick wipe-down also. All of that usually takes 5 - 10 mins on top of what you're there for, and helps to give the customer some reassurance that not only is it running properly, buts it's also CLEAN! End users have no clue what the condition of the internal parts are, but they will judge that machine just based off of outward appearance/ cleanliness.
    Omertà

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Lazy technicians

Quote Originally Posted by FrohnB View Post
    This!!

I've been around my fair share of lazy techs.
    Techs that "hit and run" a machine, you know, replace a part and OUT the door, BUT will still put "Cleaned as needed" or "Cleaned Machine interior". Then I'll go back a couple days/ weeks later, and it's obvious they did not clean a damn thing. "Cleaned machine interior", for me, includes a quick wipe-down of dust on certain guides, blasting the transport/ ID sensors with some air, a quick cleaning/ or replacing of feed rollers, taking the wand to the laser glasses, and optics if they're dirty. If there's toner on the covers, I'll give that a quick wipe-down also. All of that usually takes 5 - 10 mins on top of what you're there for, and helps to give the customer some reassurance that not only is it running properly, buts it's also CLEAN! End users have no clue what the condition of the internal parts are, but they will judge that machine just based off of outward appearance/ cleanliness.

A clean machine will run better than a dirty looking one - customer perception and physiology.

The perfectly running dirty machine will always be a POS and get beat up in the customers mind.
    The clean looking but less perfect running will be a GOOD machine to them and they will be more forgiving if say it's starting to jam.

Have pride in what you do, clean your equipment and your customers will treat you and the equipment better.
    Also taking that little time to clean/inspect and you will stay in front of the issues and notice issues before they happen. I would MUCH rather notice something that is going to fail and schedule a time to come back with a part or a PM kit rather than drop everything for a broken machine. Scheduled service is not down time and repeat customers are worth the effort.

Effort being the issue here as I too have noticed people lack the will to put it forth...Snowflakes melt far to easy.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Lazy technicians

I know what you mean! I'd just be happy if they'd clean the damn machine (THOROUGHLY, not half assed!) so when I go back in a day or two for something else they were too lazy to do, at least I wouldn't also have to do that.
    I am based in a workshop mainly repairing machines but sometimes I am asked to "pre install" the new stuff, the other guys leave or avoid the best they can the machines that need finishers, booklet folders and hole punches.
    When you think you have made a procedure idiot proof your company employs a better idiot.

Lazy technicians

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    Give them the information and skynet still can't read
    Our political arguments are not welcome in this thread.
    When you think you have made a procedure idiot proof your company employs a better idiot.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Lazy technicians

Quote Originally Posted by skynet View Post
    I am based in a workshop mainly repairing machines but sometimes I am asked to "pre install" the new stuff, the other guys leave or avoid the best they can the machines that need finishers, booklet folders and hole punches.
    i worked for one company that for my 1st month I was the assembly/test/install guy. I learned alot of the tricks for the Kyocera that once I got out in the field, were missed by the previous tech that had that position. The when informing the boss of what I found they went back thru the records, found out what machines he had setup and I got the job of going out to all of them, note the problems and like a regular service call had to correct and log all info.
    Taught me to open my mouth. naw I still spoke my mid.

Lazy technicians

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    i worked for one company that for my 1st month I was the assembly/test/install guy. I learned alot of the tricks for the Kyocera that once I got out in the field, were missed by the previous tech that had that position. The when informing the boss of what I found they went back thru the records, found out what machines he had setup and I got the job of going out to all of them, note the problems and like a regular service call had to correct and log all info.
    Taught me to open my mouth. naw I still spoke my mid.
    Don't worry I had my bit to say to those responsible on the day, when one of them threw his toys out of the pram I replied is this all about a finisher?

Former KM Senior Tech 500+ Posts srvctec's Avatar

Bringing this thread back to life since it's the latest of the "lazy" threads.

I've been dealing with a lazy co-irker for somewhere around 28 years. Throughout that entire time, I think maybe a handful of times he's actually put the scanner screw plugs in place during an install. After installing another missing set today, I'm guessing conservatively it's probably been about 100 times I've done this over the years. This was on a C368 installed a few years ago which I hadn't worked on yet. Once I saw the missing plugs on this machine today, I just rolled my eyes, AGAIN. Pure laziness and it just looks really bad with these missing, not to mention a place where things can fall into.

Started in the copier service business in the fall of 1988 and worked at the same company for 33.5 years, becoming the senior tech in 2004 but left to pursue another career on 4/29/22.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Lazy technicians

It's been a while since I worked for someone else, but when I did, the service manager would randomly spot check our work. He'd go on site immediately after we finished a service call and go down his checklist of things that we were required to do. Senior techs would be written up and a new tech didn't stand chance...he'd get fired on the spot.
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Bringing this thread back to life since it's the latest of the "lazy" threads.

I've been dealing with a lazy co-irker for somewhere around 28 years. Throughout that entire time, I think maybe a handful of times he's actually put the scanner screw plugs in place during an install. After installing another missing set today, I'm guessing conservatively it's probably been about 100 times I've done this over the years. This was on a C368 installed a few years ago which I hadn't worked on yet. Once I saw the missing plugs on this machine today, I just rolled my eyes, AGAIN. Pure laziness and it just looks really bad with these missing, not to mention a place where things can fall into.

Lol what a lazy bum 😂
    It looks really bad this way without caps never thought about it.
    That said I may be pleaded quilty on few of mine 4 series machines where due to frequently making maintenance I removed 3 stoppers on right side door...
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Lazy technicians

i Can't STAND lazy techs, techs with no pride in how we as a company present ourselves ...Just yesterday I had to send out an email about making sure the GD stickers on the new machines is on straight...