Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Lazy technicians

Lazy technicians

Lately I have started to see a lot of technicians asking questions where the answers are in the service documentation.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: Lazy technicians

real questions what is behind this. Is it the company they work for don't provide proper training or manuals. I been in copier class and people show up from a company that just hire on and no experience but expect them to be train and give them a certificate for that copier. One day they will build a copier and it will fix itself or a robot that will replace us.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Lazy technicians

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Lately I have started to see a lot of technicians asking questions where the answers are in the service documentation.
    so have I.. wondering IF they are really Techs or just end users posing as a tech to avoid having to pay guys like us...

I have been responding with " RTFM" ... guess maybe that's why my rating has fallen.... OFW

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Lazy technicians

Personally I could see either laziness or lack of google kung fu. My biggest problem is lack of training and somethings having multiple names.

Lazy technicians

Quote Originally Posted by Ratchet2501 View Post
    Personally I could see either laziness or lack of google kung fu. My biggest problem is lack of training and somethings having multiple names.
    well when the manual lists out the directory for the firmware install... and people don't read and follow instructions on the " how to do it " and then pose queries here.. make me think 1) Lazy 2) not really a tech and has no manual....

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Geo's Avatar

Hi all...

Everyone is forgetting one important factor....It takes effort and thought to use a S.M. to troubleshot .... Substantially simpler to post a critic question without details... ...speaking of problems, If a MFP is wireless, why is there a big fat wire plugged into the wall outlet...

Everyone... Please have a wonderful and safe Memorial weekend.

Lazy technicians

Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    Hi all...

Everyone is forgetting one important factor....It takes effort and thought to use a S.M. to troubleshot .... Substantially simpler to post a critic question without details... ...speaking of problems, If a MFP is wireless, why is there a big fat wire plugged into the wall outlet...

Everyone... Please have a wonderful and safe Memorial weekend.
    ummm did you mean LABOR DAY? my memorial weekend sucked.. I got rear ended at a stop light...

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Lazy technicians

The only posts I hate are techs who don't mention the jam code.

But I get a little tired of the techs on their high horse.

1) A lot of techs, including myself, get sent to work on crap boxes we've never seen before.

2) We want to order the right part the first time, we don't have the luxury of shotgunning at company cost

3) For most troubleshooting I find manuals worthless. Replace switch, clutch, main board. That's all they say.

4) Since when is CTN the option of last resort? Instead of trying everything under the sun and THEN posting. I'd rather post sooner and get off on the right foot.

I like shootin the shit and helping out with easy problems. That's why I am here. If I were a super tech I wouldn't have 1,000 posts

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Lazy technicians

I find myself answering phone questions more and more lately with: " ... so you want me to read the manual to you? Did you forget how to read? I don't read manuals to people capable of reading for themselves."

Either the manual is in the car, or the computer isn't working, or there isn't time to download, or I should just know it off the top of my head. And the task I'm supposed to be working on is clearly less important to the caller. Who's doing my call?

I have no problem reading to clarify an issue, or helping on anything that you've given some thought. I don't just hand out little golden nuggets of wisdom if you're not going to even try to work it out. "Just tell me what to do. I don't want to know why." That's really hard for me to hear.

End rant. =^..^=
    Last edited by blackcat4866; 09-02-2017 at 03:17 AM.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Lazy technicians

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    I find myself answering phone questions more and more lately with: " ... so you want me to read the manual to you? Did you forget how to read? I don't read manuals to people capable of reading for themselves."

Either the manual is in the car, or the computer isn't working, or there isn't time to download, or I should just know it off the top of my head. And the task I'm supposed to be working on clearly less important.

I have no problem reading to clarify an issue, or helping on anything that you've given some thought. I don't just hand out little golden nuggets if you're not going to even try to work it out.

End rant. =^..^=
    I have always worked with smaller companies, I consider my co-workers friends and good people. If I ask a solid Sharp tech "hey, do you remember the simulation to enable the right side exit tray?" They'll either say "yea it's 26-1" "or no, sorry I can't think of it"

I seriously don't get the resentment or admonishment. We're here for each other. bbuuttt I guess I've never had a co-worker who was CONSTANTLY asking or worse, asking same questions over and over.