Page 34 of 107 FirstFirst ... 24252627282930313233343536373839404142434484 ... LastLast
    Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Do you believe that Climate Change is real and caused by mankind?

Re: Do you believe that Climate Change is real and caused by mankind?

This weeks extreme cold in large parts of North America is caused by global warming directly linked to climate change.

How climate change is behind this week'''s extreme cold snap | CBC News

Ever since the bitter winter of 2014, a new winter-weather catchphrase has been making the rounds: polar vortex.
    The polar vortex is nothing new. It's just that it typically it encircles the north pole. However, in recent years, it seems to be meandering southward every so often.

"This air mass always exists, and it often gets bumped and pushed around. In this case, the jet stream pushed it all the way down to the U.S. Midwest," said CBC meteorologist Johanna Wagstaffe. "Sometimes that air mass can get split, or divided because of the jet stream, so it ends up getting stuck in place."
    That's what happened this week: the jet stream managed to split the descending polar vortex into three.
    The jet stream

Though it's a relatively new area of study, there's increasing evidence that suggests this phenomenon will happen more often and become more extreme.
    The key lies with the jet stream, a narrow, fast-moving band of air in our upper atmosphere that moves weather patterns around. In the past, the jet stream moved fairly smoothly around the northern hemisphere. But recently, it's developed more pronounced kinks that can bring cold, Arctic air much farther south than in the past, or bring heat from the Gulf of Mexico further north than has been typical.
    And it's linked to the Arctic.

A recent Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change report found the Arctic is warming two to three times faster than anywhere else on Earth. This temperature difference upsets the stability of the jet stream.

And that brings the cold Arctic air southward where it can linger, a result that meteorologists call a blocking pattern.
    "We have seen more of these; we've noticed that trend already, that's proven. And all of our climate models show this trend will continue," Wagstaffe said. "And that doesn't just mean more heat and more drought conditions. It can also mean more of these extreme cold blasts or extreme wet or snowy systems staying in place longer than normal."

Climate vs. weather

The important thing to remember when discussing climate change is that climate and weather are two separate entities.

In fact, at the same time much of Canada is in a deep freeze, other parts of the world are experiencing the opposite.
    "The atmosphere is always trying to balance out its energy," Wagstaffe said. "So right now, on the other side of the globe, parts of northern Europe and northern Russia, they're actually experiencing record-breaking warm temperatures for this time of the year, and really close to the north pole."
    Climate change isn't about what's happening today, but what's happening globally, over time.
    Weather is the state of the atmosphere pertaining to things like wind, moisture, temperature and more that occur on a day-to-day basis. Climate, on the other hand, is the average weather in one place over a long period of time.
    Just because you step outside and the tears caused by bitter wind freeze on your cheeks, doesn't mean that climate change isn't happening.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Geo's Avatar

So, the earth has been experiencing climate change from it's birth, no denying this...However , I have what should be a simple question to those that believe mankind is responsible for "climate change" . What percentage of the current "climate change" is caused by human activity . Please provide an actual percentage number and references.

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    So, the earth has been experiencing climate change from it's birth, no denying this...However , I have what should be a simple question to those that believe mankind is responsible for "climate change" . What percentage of the current "climate change" is caused by human activity . Please provide an actual percentage number and references.
    I guess the opposite question would be "How can someone believe that the amount of crap we throw into the atmosphere has no effect"?

Quote Originally Posted by copier addict View Post
    I guess the opposite question would be "How can someone believe that the amount of crap we throw into the atmosphere has no effect"?
    So you have no answer...Got it..

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts

So you have no answer...Got it..
    Nope. How about you? Can you answer my question?

Nope. How about you? Can you answer my question?
    Uhh..Questions are not answered with a question or redirection unless of course one can't or doesn't want to provide an answer...So, after my questions are answered I will entertain your question..Seems fair...

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts

Uhh..Questions are not answered with a question or redirection unless of course one can't or doesn't want to provide an answer...So, after my questions are answered I will entertain your question..Seems fair...
    Haha. Now that is textbook deflection.
    You let on that your question is an easy one, but I am pretty sure none us here are climatologists.
    My question, on the other hand, should be quite easy for you. It is simply asking how you believe all the pollutants being spewed into the atmosphere can't be affecting anything.
    Are you refusing to answer because you know there must be some effect?

Haha. Now that is textbook deflection.
    You let on that your question is an easy one, but I am pretty sure none us here are climatologists.
    My question, on the other hand, should be quite easy for you. It is simply asking how you believe all the pollutants being spewed into the atmosphere can't be affecting anything.
    Are you refusing to answer because you know there must be some effect?
    So you are talking about "deflection" ...You are FUNNY..and a hypocrite....

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts

So you are talking about "deflection" ...You are FUNNY..and a hypocrite....
    Still refusing to answer. I get it, you really don't have an answer.
    I answered your question. I don't know any percentages of man vs nature. All I know is that historically, changes in climate took thousands of years, or more. What is happening now is moving along much quicker than that. To me, that means mankind must be causing some of it.
    Now, tell me how you believe polluting the world over the last several hundred years has no effect.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

I know it is hard to accept but Climate change and global warming is actually causing the deep cold affecting North America right now.