Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Customers, getting smarter every day

So my delivery guy told me that on more than one occasion, he has had to explain that the "2004" on the front of their new Ricoh copier is the model number and not the date it was made. Seriously? How many products do you buy that have the manufacture date stamped in the center on the front. Not really worried that a wave of intelligence will sweep over the country and put me out of work any time soon.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Customers, getting smarter every day

I can't even recall how many times in the last year I've been doing this I've had half the machine's guts on the floor and I hear "I can't print can I?".

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Too bad that model number wasn’t a single digit.

In that case, it would have been an IQ detector.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts roho's Avatar

I had a cust complaining today that the copy of the picture they just printed doesn't look as good as the print. Of course not, that is like taking a picture of a picture, plus why not just print the number of copies you need in the first place? Help us all!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    So my delivery guy told me that on more than one occasion, he has had to explain that the "2004" on the front of their new Ricoh copier is the model number and not the date it was made. Seriously? How many products do you buy that have the manufacture date stamped in the center on the front. Not really worried that a wave of intelligence will sweep over the country and put me out of work any time soon.
    Good one. Been a couple years since dealing with customers but this does bring back a few memories of the dumber things customers have asked for. Worst ones involved explaining that a correctable film ribbon is not a correction tape. And explaining why we do not make service calls for free when a charge customer has to replace the waste toner bottle because we delivered toner last week for the same reason and the message never went away.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Or some how they are able to put waste toner back into empty toner bottle! You go out to troubleshoot CQ issue and they never mention they done that. Meanwhile 3 calls later you finally replace the toner & developer after nothing else worked!

I had one customer rewind used brother fax ribbons to use again. He had a contraption set up to rewind the roll. He's probably re-using his toilet paper too,

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

One time, on Ft. Bragg, I told a young soldier that there was a camera behind the touch screen that took their picture every time they press the start button. I was delivering toner to another machine two weeks later and look in that office and saw a soldier at the copier leaning back and turning his head as he pressed the start button.

When I was fairly new, I had a Minolta Di 620 that randomly left a box of lines like a bar code. The blade was not wiping the black patch. I didn't know that at first so I told them it was a test machine that was putting bar codes on the papers for tracking. After I figured it out and got a good blade, they reported that the bar code thingy wasn't working.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    Or some how they are able to put waste toner back into empty toner bottle! You go out to troubleshoot CQ issue and they never mention they done that. Meanwhile 3 calls later you finally replace the toner & developer after nothing else worked!

I had one customer rewind used brother fax ribbons to use again. He had a contraption set up to rewind the roll. He's probably re-using his toilet paper too,
    Been a while but there was a company that made correctable film ribbons for one time use on the old fabric ribbon selectrics. The ones that reversed and rewound the fabric in the ribbon case. Best thing was the new brand of ribbon only cost $1.50 while the fabric ribbons were about 5.00 dollars. Best part was my boss told me to bill them if they used improper supplies and called for the same thing more than twice. Which a few of them did over the years.

Had one or two of our earliest fax customers when we tried selling Brother ribbon fax machines try the same thing with rewinding the ribbons too. One even took the thermal paper rolls they had a case of and cut it into letter sized pages and used that in their new laser fax. Couldn't understand why it smelled so bad and the paper was completely black when it came out of the fax machine. Worked fine in the old machine they traded in.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Somewhere in the early 90s, when fax was exploding, I had a customer insist that she could program her speed dials by putting them all in a text file, printing it, then faxing it to her machine.

”We were able to program speed dials that way with our old machine”, she said.

Riiiiiiiight.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Somewhere in the early 90s, when fax was exploding, I had a customer insist that she could program her speed dials by putting them all in a text file, printing it, then faxing it to her machine.

”We were able to program speed dials that way with our old machine”, she said.

Riiiiiiiight.
    Now where can I send the bill for cleaning the iced tea off of my monitor after reading that one.