Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Re: Trump Biggest Whoppers

DONALD TRUMP PROMISED TO ELIMINATE THE DEFICIT IN 8 YEARS. SO FAR, HE HAS INCREASED IT BY 68%
    Winning!

During the 2016 campaign, President Donald Trump made an aggressive promise on federal finances: He would eliminate the budget deficit within eight years. Now, three years into his presidency, the deficit is 68 percent higher than when he started.

Trump inherited a deficit of $585 billion when he took office in January 2017. That was 58 percent lower than the $1.4 trillion former President Barack Obama inherited in 2009 following the financial crisis, a number his administration slashed over two terms.

According to the latest Congressional Budget Office data released on Monday, the full-year deficit for 2019 is estimated to come in at $984 billion, just shy of the $1 trillion that many analysts were expecting. In 2018 the figure was $779 billion and in 2017 it was $665 billion.

"Relative to the size of the economy, the deficit—at an estimated 4.7 percent of gross domestic product (GDP)—was the highest since 2012, and 2019 was the fourth consecutive year in which the deficit increased as a percentage of GDP," the CBO said in its report.

"He's got no hope of eliminating the deficit," Danny Blanchflower, professor of economics at Dartmouth College and a former monetary policymaker at the Bank of England, told Newsweek. "The only possibility is for him to increase the deficit...This looks much like the policy on Syria: Uncoordinated chaos."

During the last election, Trump said he could clear America's $19 trillion of gross federal debt within eight years. To do that would mean eliminating the federal deficit, the negative difference between income and expenditure which keeps adding to the debt pile. It is now $22 trillion.

"We're not a rich country. We're a debtor nation...We've got to get rid of the $19 trillion in debt," Trump told The Washington Post in April 2016, several months before the election he would win. "I think I could do it fairly quickly...I would say over a period of eight years," Trump added, and suggested he would do so by renegotiating trade deals and creating trade surpluses.

Yet, since taking office, Trump's trade negotiations have provided little fruit for the economy and are instead hurting the pockets of American companies and consumers that are absorbing the financial burden of the tariffs.

After scrapping the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), the Trump administration agreed a new deal with Canada and Mexico called the United States–Mexico–Canada Agreement (USMCA), but it is yet to be ratified by Congress. Negotiations with China are ongoing as mutual tariffs impact hundreds of billions of dollars in goods trading between the two.

And talks also continue with the European Union as a similar tit-for-tat tariff war, a conflict opened by the Trump administration last year, rumbles on with no end in sight. It was initially over steel and aluminum imports but has now expanded to a range of products.

These trade wars are hurting America's manufacturing sector and weakening the domestic economy. But they are also clipping global growth, which is feeding back to further dampen U.S. GDP. There is talk among economists of a possible recession coming down the line.

Another major deficit issue is the Trump administration's $1 trillion package of tax cuts, which mostly benefited those with higher wealth and incomes, passed at the end of 2017. These tax cuts, the administration argued, would pay for themselves over time by fueling economic growth.

But the Trump administration's spending continues to significantly outpace its receipts, widening the deficit and adding more money to the federal debt pile despite the president's claim that he could clear it.

"I think the reality was that this was ideology over economics," Blanchflower told Newsweek. "I've always argued you needed stimulus, but the time they did it was wrong, how they did it was wrong, and surprise surprise this is what you get.

"A trillion-dollar deficit at the point at which the U.S. economy is clearly slowing and may well be entering recession as the rest of the world is."

Donald Trump Has Lied 13,000 Times as President

Last edited by bsm2; 10-19-2019 at 03:52 PM.

Trump tax cuts hiked the deficit, now $1 trillion, so guess what Republicans want for 2020
    In 2017, trying to sell Congress on a $1.5 trillion package of tax cuts, President Donald Trump made some pretty Trumpian predictions.

“The economy now is at 3% (growth),” he said. "Nobody thought it would be anywhere close. I think it could go to 4, 5 and maybe even 6%, ultimately.”

In fact, the economic growth rate that year was not 3% but 2.4%. And with Trump’s sweeping, massive, transformative, awesome, really huge tax cuts, the growth rate in 2018 surged all the way up to — drumroll, please — 2.9%.

That’s right, half a percentage point, and even that uptick was short-lived. Most projections for this year have it back below where it was before enactment of the tax cuts. Next year’s projections range from 2% to outright recession.

Deficit hits $984 billion
    But the tax cuts, along with some bipartisan spending in the Trump era, have moved the needle in one significant way: They have caused federal borrowing to skyrocket. The Treasury Department has reported that for the fiscal year ending Sept. 30, the government spent $984 billion more than it collected. That’s an astoundingly large deficit at a time of record low unemployment, and a deeply troubling one to boot.

The 2019 deficit was more than double what it was in 2015 and up from $160 billion in 2007, before the Great Recession.
    REP. KEVIN BRADY:New tax cuts would lock in the gains

So in a time of trillion dollar deficits, what are Trump and congressional Republicans planning just in time for the 2020 elections? Another tax cut bill.

Never mind that the nation can't afford it, and that the effects of the last one were disappointing because:

►There is relatively little that tax cuts can do to boost an economic expansion growing long in the tooth.

►The stimulative effects of the tax cuts were offset in part by the depressive effects of Trump’s trade wars.

►The tax cuts were heavily focused on corporations (which used a lot of the money to buy back stock and pay down debts) and wealthy individuals (who had no real reason to dramatically change their behavior).

Keeping recession at bay
    The 2017 tax cuts were not without their selling points, like a doubling of the standard deduction that made filing easier for many taxpayers. But much of what was good and directed at the middle class was temporary, while tax cuts for wealthy heirs and passive owners of privately held companies were permanent.

In hindsight, the tax cuts look mostly like an effort to reward key GOP constituencies, to punish blue states by capping the deduction for state and local taxes, and to give just enough of a jolt to the economy to ensure that any recession is pushed back beyond next year’s election.

That wasn’t much of a rationale then. And it certainly is not much of one now.

385b4325-bb73-4795-80ed-7cad711b9c0c-110519-opposing-view-deficit-MOBILE.jpg

Trump Admin Confirms All 78 Miles Of "New" Border Wall Built So Far Are Replacements For Existing Barriers
    WOW 3 years and 78 miles how slow can you go?
    ZERO miles of New wall
    and Mexico Paid ZERO!

During a press conference at the White House on Thursday morning, acting Customs and Border Protection commissioner Mark Morgan confirmed reports that all border wall construction that has taken place so far was simply replacing old and broken down border barriers.

"Every mile of wall that’s being built is a new mile of wall," Morgan said. But "right now, the 78 miles that have been built have been built where there was an existing form of barrier."

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Trump Biggest Whoppers

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    Trump Admin Confirms All 78 Miles Of "New" Border Wall Built So Far Are Replacements For Existing Barriers
    WOW 3 years and 78 miles how slow can you go?
    ZERO miles of New wall
    and Mexico Paid ZERO!

During a press conference at the White House on Thursday morning, acting Customs and Border Protection commissioner Mark Morgan confirmed reports that all border wall construction that has taken place so far was simply replacing old and broken down border barriers.

"Every mile of wall that’s being built is a new mile of wall," Morgan said. But "right now, the 78 miles that have been built have been built where there was an existing form of barrier."

Have you seen what it takes to build those sections!?!? 78 miles is a significant distance in that amount of time. To put it in perspective, we have a stretch of new highway (4 lane with median) being constructed by my town. It's taken 3 years for them to go maybe 10 - 12 miles out of a total 38 miles, so 78 miles in three years is Hauling ASS! Replacing the old shitty existing barriers is a must, and it's still "new" wall going up, so your headline is misleading and stupid AF. Blinded by the almighty media once again.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Trump Biggest Whoppers

China Lifts 4-Year Ban on U.S. Chicken - WSJ

Thought I would also throw this tidbit in here since almost none of the news stations will say that Trump's Trade War might actually be yielding some good results.
    After almost 5 years, the Chinese have lifted a ban on American Poultry and egg products, marking a Win for American poultry farmers and businesses. It is estimated (depending on where you read) that this could rake in anywhere from 1 - 2 Billion dollars for the industry, A huge increase from previous years. America's President is kicking ass, and won't stop any time soon!

TRUMP 2020

Quote Originally Posted by FrohnB View Post
    Have you seen what it takes to build those sections!?!? 78 miles is a significant distance in that amount of time. To put it in perspective, we have a stretch of new highway (4 lane with median) being constructed by my town. It's taken 3 years for them to go maybe 10 - 12 miles out of a total 38 miles, so 78 miles in three years is Hauling ASS! Replacing the old shitty existing barriers is a must, and it's still "new" wall going up, so your headline is misleading and stupid AF. Blinded by the almighty media once again.

Nope Your the one that's Duped Again and Again! HA HAHAHAHAHA Tick TOCK
    Real FACTS MATTER! at 26 miles per year it will only take another 75 more years to complete.

431 days or less

Fact check: Trump visits the border to tout his wall. (Actually, the plans started under Obama.)

Fact check: Trump visits the border to tout his wall. (Actually, the plans started under Obama.)

DHS confirms no new border wall yet

All 78 miles built under Trump are replacement
    DHS confirms no new border wall yet - Washington Times

Last edited by bsm2; 11-15-2019 at 07:26 PM.

Enjoy

Donald Trump's 199 wildest lines of 2019
    Man, what a decade!

What's that? it's only been a year???
    Over the past year, President Donald Trump has talked and talked and talked. He has talked at photo ops at the White House. He has talked at impromptu press conferences while abroad. He has talked at campaign event after campaign event.
    And I have watched or read it all -- poring over the transcripts to find the most, um, notable quotes. Below, we've gathered the best of the best -- or worst of the worst, depending on your point of view -- lines of 2019.
    Enjoy!
    1. "I could be the most popular person in Europe. I could be -- I could run for any office if I wanted to, but I don't want to." January 2 (Cabinet Meeting)
    The President celebrated the new year with a 90+ minute Cabinet meeting -- and cameras were rolling the entire time. He answered question after question as his Cabinet sat silently.
    2. "President Obama fired him and, essentially, so did I. I want results." January 2 (Cabinet Meeting)
    Trump is talking about former Defense Secretary James Mattis, who resigned in protest in the wake of Trump's decision to pull US troops out Syria. Trump didn't "essentially" fire him. At all.
    3. "We're talking about sand and death. That's what we're talking about." January 2 (Cabinet Meeting)
    The President of the United States offers his thoughts on Syria.
    4. "I had a meeting at the Pentagon with lots of generals -- they were like from a movie, better looking than Tom Cruise and stronger -- and I had more generals than I've ever seen." January 2 (Cabinet Meeting)
    This is so revealing. All of life is a casting call for Trump. These generals were good because they were good looking and strong. Even more than Tom Cruise!
    5. "I said, this is the greatest room I've ever seen. I -- I saw more computer boards than, I think, that they make today." January 2 (Cabinet Meeting)
    "Computer boards."
    6. "I'm a professional at technology." January 10 (South Lawn)
    "Computer boards."
    7. "When during the campaign I would say, 'Mexico's going to pay for it,' obviously I never said this and I never meant they're going to write out a check." January 10 (South Lawn)
    This is a clear-as-day attempt to rewrite history by Trump during an impromptu news conference on his way to the southern border. He repeatedly said that Mexico would need to make a distinct $5 billion or $10 billion payment to the United States for the wall. And when he asked crowds at his rallies in 2016 who was going to pay for the wall, they shouted back "Mexico!" not "Mexico by way of theoretical gains we will make as a result of a restructured international trade deal!" I mean, come on.
    8. "The buck stops with everybody." January 10 (South Lawn)
    Is that how that goes? The buck stops with everybody? (Remember: Trump hardly ever takes the blame for anything -- especially the things that are his fault.)
    9. "Well, I haven't actually left the White House in months." January 15 (Jeanine Pirro interview)
    He had, actually. Lots of times. Hell, he was in McAllen, Texas, two days before he said this.
    10. "I would, I don't with care. I mean, I had a conversation like every president does. You sit with the president of various countries. I do it with all countries." January 15 (Pirro interview)
    Pirro asks Trump here whether he would be willing to "release the conversation that you had with President (Vladimir) Putin in Helsinki." Here's the thing: He can't do that because, per The Washington Post, "there is no detailed record, even in classified files, of Trump's face-to-face interactions with the Russian leader at five locations over the past two years."
    11. "I was obviously a good candidate. I won every debate. I won everything I did, and I won, and I won easily."
    When Trump said this, the 2016 election had ended 797 days ago.
    12. "I guess they're well over 30 million dollars now on this Russian collusion hoax, and everybody knows it's a hoax. They've spent all this money. Nothing. No phone calls, no meetings, no nothing." January 31 (Daily Caller interview)
    Trump was not that far off-base on the price tag -- $25 million had been spent at this point on special counsel Robert Mueller's probe since it began in May 2017. Where he REALLY missed the fact boat was in claiming that the Mueller probe had produced zero tangible results. To date when Trump said this, the investigation had produced 199 criminal counts against 37 people and entities. Seven people had pleaded guilty and four had been sentenced to prison. One -- Paul Manafort -- had been convicted by a jury of his peers. That's not nothing.
    13. "I ran a great campaign. I ran a campaign that now they say was better than that gentleman's [Andrew Jackson's] campaign in the 1800s and we did a great job." January 30 (Daily Caller interview)
    They say that, do they? (For more on Andrew Jackson's campaigns, read this!)
    14. "I hope that she's healthy, I hope she's happy, and I hope she lives for a long time." January 30 (Daily Caller interview)
    Trump's response here to a question on Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg following her illness was -- dare I say it -- presidential.
    15. "The world is not doing well and we're going great." January 30 (Daily Caller interview)
    Trump on the global situation: America Rest of world
    16. "It looks like Elizabeth Warren has not caught on like they thought she would. She fell into a trap. It's called the Pocahontas trap." January 30 (Daily Caller interview)
    "The Pocahontas Trap?" Is that a Disney flick?
    17. "My intelligence people, if they said in fact that Iran is a wonderful kindergarten, I disagree with them a hundred percent." February 3 (Super Bowl interview)
    In this quote from Trump's interview on CBS News before this year's Super Bowl, Trump questioned his intelligence community's assessment of Iran. Worth nothing: His "intelligence people" didn't say Iran was a kindergarten, they simply said they believed the country to be in compliance with the nuclear deal Trump pulled out of in May 2018.
    18. "And a lot of people, including me, thought soccer would probably never make it in this country, but it really is moving forward rapidly." February 3 (Super Bowl interview)
    Paging @MeninBlazers!!!! This was part of Trump's answer to whether he would allow his son, Barron, to play football.
    19. "Roger is somebody that I've always liked, but a lot of people like Roger. Some people probably don't like Roger, but Roger Stone's somebody I've always liked." February 3 (Super Bowl interview)
    "Roger is a stone-cold loser." -- Donald Trump in 2008
    20. "Even the Mueller report said it had nothing to do with the campaign." February 3 ( Super Bowl interview)
    The Mueller report hadn't come out yet.
    21. "What a location. I'm in the real estate business, what a location." February 3 (Super Bowl interview)
    Donald Trump on North Korea. Yup!
    22. "I love this state, and I love the people of this state. We've had a great romance together. You know that. Been a great romance." February 11 (El Paso rally)
    Donald Trump and Texas sitting in a tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-g. First comes love then comes ... ah, you know the rest.
    23. "This is like the Academy Awards used to be. Used to be. They've gone down a long ways since they started hitting us a little bit, right?" February 11 (El Paso)
    There's so much here. First, Trump was comparing his rally to the Academy Awards because of the amount of press that was covering it. (But I thought he hated the media?) Then he's saying that the Oscars, like everything else, aren't as good as they used to be. And finally, he is attributing the decline of the Oscars to the fact that some of the actors have taken shots at him. He truly contains multitudes.
    24. "So, someday, with all of us -- this is all of us -- and those hats are beautiful, by the way. Someday." February 11 (El Paso)
    This an unedited "sentence" from the President of the United States. Someday.
    25. "Where do these people come from? Where do they come from? They go back home to Mommy. They get punished when they get home." February 11 (El Paso)
    When a protester interrupts a speech, that's when Trump's real bullying tendencies emerge.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Trump Biggest Whoppers

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    Donald Trump's 199 wildest lines of 2019
    Man, what a decade!

What's that? it's only been a year???
    Over the past year, President Donald Trump has talked and talked and talked. He has talked at photo ops at the White House. He has talked at impromptu press conferences while abroad. He has talked at campaign event after campaign event.
    And I have watched or read it all -- poring over the transcripts to find the most, um, notable quotes. Below, we've gathered the best of the best -- or worst of the worst, depending on your point of view -- lines of 2019.
    Enjoy!
    1. "I could be the most popular person in Europe. I could be -- I could run for any office if I wanted to, but I don't want to." January 2 (Cabinet Meeting)
    The President celebrated the new year with a 90+ minute Cabinet meeting -- and cameras were rolling the entire time. He answered question after question as his Cabinet sat silently.
    2. "President Obama fired him and, essentially, so did I. I want results." January 2 (Cabinet Meeting)
    Trump is talking about former Defense Secretary James Mattis, who resigned in protest in the wake of Trump's decision to pull US troops out Syria. Trump didn't "essentially" fire him. At all.
    3. "We're talking about sand and death. That's what we're talking about." January 2 (Cabinet Meeting)
    The President of the United States offers his thoughts on Syria.
    4. "I had a meeting at the Pentagon with lots of generals -- they were like from a movie, better looking than Tom Cruise and stronger -- and I had more generals than I've ever seen." January 2 (Cabinet Meeting)
    This is so revealing. All of life is a casting call for Trump. These generals were good because they were good looking and strong. Even more than Tom Cruise!
    5. "I said, this is the greatest room I've ever seen. I -- I saw more computer boards than, I think, that they make today." January 2 (Cabinet Meeting)
    "Computer boards."
    6. "I'm a professional at technology." January 10 (South Lawn)
    "Computer boards."
    7. "When during the campaign I would say, 'Mexico's going to pay for it,' obviously I never said this and I never meant they're going to write out a check." January 10 (South Lawn)
    This is a clear-as-day attempt to rewrite history by Trump during an impromptu news conference on his way to the southern border. He repeatedly said that Mexico would need to make a distinct $5 billion or $10 billion payment to the United States for the wall. And when he asked crowds at his rallies in 2016 who was going to pay for the wall, they shouted back "Mexico!" not "Mexico by way of theoretical gains we will make as a result of a restructured international trade deal!" I mean, come on.
    8. "The buck stops with everybody." January 10 (South Lawn)
    Is that how that goes? The buck stops with everybody? (Remember: Trump hardly ever takes the blame for anything -- especially the things that are his fault.)
    9. "Well, I haven't actually left the White House in months." January 15 (Jeanine Pirro interview)
    He had, actually. Lots of times. Hell, he was in McAllen, Texas, two days before he said this.
    10. "I would, I don't with care. I mean, I had a conversation like every president does. You sit with the president of various countries. I do it with all countries." January 15 (Pirro interview)
    Pirro asks Trump here whether he would be willing to "release the conversation that you had with President (Vladimir) Putin in Helsinki." Here's the thing: He can't do that because, per The Washington Post, "there is no detailed record, even in classified files, of Trump's face-to-face interactions with the Russian leader at five locations over the past two years."
    11. "I was obviously a good candidate. I won every debate. I won everything I did, and I won, and I won easily."
    When Trump said this, the 2016 election had ended 797 days ago.
    12. "I guess they're well over 30 million dollars now on this Russian collusion hoax, and everybody knows it's a hoax. They've spent all this money. Nothing. No phone calls, no meetings, no nothing." January 31 (Daily Caller interview)
    Trump was not that far off-base on the price tag -- $25 million had been spent at this point on special counsel Robert Mueller's probe since it began in May 2017. Where he REALLY missed the fact boat was in claiming that the Mueller probe had produced zero tangible results. To date when Trump said this, the investigation had produced 199 criminal counts against 37 people and entities. Seven people had pleaded guilty and four had been sentenced to prison. One -- Paul Manafort -- had been convicted by a jury of his peers. That's not nothing.
    13. "I ran a great campaign. I ran a campaign that now they say was better than that gentleman's [Andrew Jackson's] campaign in the 1800s and we did a great job." January 30 (Daily Caller interview)
    They say that, do they? (For more on Andrew Jackson's campaigns, read this!)
    14. "I hope that she's healthy, I hope she's happy, and I hope she lives for a long time." January 30 (Daily Caller interview)
    Trump's response here to a question on Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg following her illness was -- dare I say it -- presidential.
    15. "The world is not doing well and we're going great." January 30 (Daily Caller interview)
    Trump on the global situation: America Rest of world
    16. "It looks like Elizabeth Warren has not caught on like they thought she would. She fell into a trap. It's called the Pocahontas trap." January 30 (Daily Caller interview)
    "The Pocahontas Trap?" Is that a Disney flick?
    17. "My intelligence people, if they said in fact that Iran is a wonderful kindergarten, I disagree with them a hundred percent." February 3 (Super Bowl interview)
    In this quote from Trump's interview on CBS News before this year's Super Bowl, Trump questioned his intelligence community's assessment of Iran. Worth nothing: His "intelligence people" didn't say Iran was a kindergarten, they simply said they believed the country to be in compliance with the nuclear deal Trump pulled out of in May 2018.
    18. "And a lot of people, including me, thought soccer would probably never make it in this country, but it really is moving forward rapidly." February 3 (Super Bowl interview)
    Paging @MeninBlazers!!!! This was part of Trump's answer to whether he would allow his son, Barron, to play football.
    19. "Roger is somebody that I've always liked, but a lot of people like Roger. Some people probably don't like Roger, but Roger Stone's somebody I've always liked." February 3 (Super Bowl interview)
    "Roger is a stone-cold loser." -- Donald Trump in 2008
    20. "Even the Mueller report said it had nothing to do with the campaign." February 3 ( Super Bowl interview)
    The Mueller report hadn't come out yet.
    21. "What a location. I'm in the real estate business, what a location." February 3 (Super Bowl interview)
    Donald Trump on North Korea. Yup!
    22. "I love this state, and I love the people of this state. We've had a great romance together. You know that. Been a great romance." February 11 (El Paso rally)
    Donald Trump and Texas sitting in a tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-g. First comes love then comes ... ah, you know the rest.
    23. "This is like the Academy Awards used to be. Used to be. They've gone down a long ways since they started hitting us a little bit, right?" February 11 (El Paso)
    There's so much here. First, Trump was comparing his rally to the Academy Awards because of the amount of press that was covering it. (But I thought he hated the media?) Then he's saying that the Oscars, like everything else, aren't as good as they used to be. And finally, he is attributing the decline of the Oscars to the fact that some of the actors have taken shots at him. He truly contains multitudes.
    24. "So, someday, with all of us -- this is all of us -- and those hats are beautiful, by the way. Someday." February 11 (El Paso)
    This an unedited "sentence" from the President of the United States. Someday.
    25. "Where do these people come from? Where do they come from? They go back home to Mommy. They get punished when they get home." February 11 (El Paso)
    When a protester interrupts a speech, that's when Trump's real bullying tendencies emerge.
    Your rantings just make me want to vote for Trump and the Republicans even more.