Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Smoking?

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    Smoking?

Re: Smoking?

Ok, a month and a half now with no tobacco. YEA! The pros: I quit coughing. My scent of smell is slowly returning. My body doesn't ache much anymore (must have been from the carbon monoxide because I still get nicotine from vaping). Not spending 40-50 dollars a week on smokes = new guitars on a more frequent basis, which I REALLY like. No more chest/lung pains and thoughts of cardiac arrest on a regular basis. My flat doesn't reek of cigarette smoke, and there's no ashes all over the floor and coffee table. No stinking ashtray sitting on my table.
    The cons.......hhhhhhmmmm.................there doesn't seem to be any cons.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Technician
    Smoking?

I stopped years ago. Didn't use any patches or gum but did use a lot of tooth picks and or plastic drink stirrers. Seemed to help a lot with keeping my hands & mouth busy. Putting them in my mouth & messing with them with my smoking hand. Plus if i got a bad urge to smoke being in a certain environment I would leave the place right away.
    And 1 more thing i started trying to quit when I had a bad cold, I think the first few days were a little easier because of the coughing and hacking and throat already hurting. You really have to want to quit. And be prepared to really fight the urges.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

First days, weeks are worst. I quit smoking 8 years ago and never looked back.
    That's because only one cigarette and I'm back, I use to love smoking.
    Mikadonovan you are close to be free, don't give up in a weak moments.
    Pros are countless and cons meaningless - from former hard smoker.
    Last edited by tsbservice; 07-23-2019 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Spelling
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

I can turn a screw... 250+ Posts pacman's Avatar

I'm late to the table (story of my life).

I decided to quit earlier this year after some health scares (I'm 42), getting sent for a chest CT scan and having a 1 year old daughter (my only). I did Chiantix. It was a 4 week program, I was done in 2 weeks. Haven't picked up a smoke since and it's been months. No desire to smoke either.

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    Smoking?

Quote Originally Posted by pacman View Post

I decided to quit earlier this year after some health scares (I'm 42), getting sent for a chest CT scan and having a 1 year old daughter (my only). I did Chiantix. It was a 4 week program, I was done in 2 weeks. Haven't picked up a smoke since and it's been months. No desire to smoke either.
    Good for you, I think you have conquered this addition.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pacman View Post

Way to go and keep it up. You're going to succeed with the attitude you show , I know it can be tough and there will be occasional temptations and urges that most of us who have been smokers experience form time to time. And even weirdly after 17 years when I quit there are still days when I get an urge to have just one. But then I say hell no and go tyake the two dogs for a walk

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Debs1964's Avatar

I don't, personally, understand the addiction to tobacco, as I have never even tried smoking. But 29 years ago my mum had to call a doctor in the middle of the night due to very severe headache, her blood pressure was something in the region of 220/170. He told her to stop smoking NOW, or die. She gave up straight away, and never had the craving again.
    You are all doing a fantastic job, for your health, your wallet, and for the people around you, well done and stay strong.
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary maths and those who don't

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Smoking?

After looking at this thread a few times, and then ACTUALLY thinking about how long I've been a smoker (15 years now, I'm only TWENTY NINE - That's just over HALF of my life spent smoking). Granted it wasn't a solid pack a day back at 14 years old, but it was smoking none the less. I have 2 daughters that chastise me daily for taking too many smoke breaks at night, when I could be playing or reading or teaching them something. I don't want my girls to have resentments about my smoking habit. I'm no slouch when it comes to staying fit, I can run for miles, I lift weights, go hiking/ biking...etc., but I wonder if at the end of the day, the smoking negates all of the benefits of an "active lifestyle". My wife is also a smoker (not near as much as myself), and she has "quit" a few times, but ultimately sees ME smoking and starts back up again. I think it's more difficult to quit if your partner doesn't quit (or at least not do it around you), the smell of it and all that gets to you. I smoke more when I drink, so I wonder if I will have to cut out or down on the drinking too...? Love me my beer though.

So, My wife and I have had this conversation again, and we will be trying (together this time) to quit this F**kin habit once and for all. Wish us Luck!

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrohnB View Post
    After looking at this thread a few times, and then ACTUALLY thinking about how long I've been a smoker (15 years now, I'm only TWENTY NINE - That's just over HALF of my life spent smoking). Granted it wasn't a solid pack a day back at 14 years old, but it was smoking none the less. I have 2 daughters that chastise me daily for taking too many smoke breaks at night, when I could be playing or reading or teaching them something. I don't want my girls to have resentments about my smoking habit. I'm no slouch when it comes to staying fit, I can run for miles, I lift weights, go hiking/ biking...etc., but I wonder if at the end of the day, the smoking negates all of the benefits of an "active lifestyle". My wife is also a smoker (not near as much as myself), and she has "quit" a few times, but ultimately sees ME smoking and starts back up again. I think it's more difficult to quit if your partner doesn't quit (or at least not do it around you), the smell of it and all that gets to you. I smoke more when I drink, so I wonder if I will have to cut out or down on the drinking too...? Love me my beer though.

So, My wife and I have had this conversation again, and we will be trying (together this time) to quit this F**kin habit once and for all. Wish us Luck!
    I must admit that kind of thinking, You are on the right track!
    I have had hard times when quit smoking, worst was when I do nothing
    Wish you and your wife good luck.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Smoking?

DAY ONE! Cold Turkey. Pray for the customers.
    And don't worry, I won't give a day by day update.