View Poll Results: Is Suptreme Leader correct?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 66.67%
  • No

3 33.33%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Technician

Re: Do you think this is right?

SMBv1 workarounds and FTP are just plain insecure. Stunnel is just a bandaid for a deeper underlying security issue (especially for SMTP). I'm an IT sysadmin by trade, and i would tell people to only use these types of workarounds or less secure protocols if you are comfortable with letting anyone see what you are putting through your MFP. Except for SMBv1, i would never enable that, ever.

Sure with proper firewalling and tunnelling you can avoid that, and maybe a good IT staff can maintain it. But as a copier tech, you aren't IT staff. IMO, that's risk not worth taking on. People like to think of copiers like any old appliance, but they are computers. A vulnerable computer is a risk to the whole network.

So I'm with your boss on this one, but i'd probably try to offer some kind of less painful upgrade plan just to attempt to keep the business. But from a IT perspective, i have lost many customers over things like this, and i just move on. I refuse to potentially have a court case against me for running an insecure system just to try to save a buck. Simply not worth it.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Do you think this is right?

I'm 50/50 on this one. At the end of the day, the copier is a piece of technology, and technology is usually outdated after about three to five years. The issue is technology based (scan to smbv1) and it simply outdated. So, from the stand point of being outdated...it's time for new equipment as it does not have today's technology. Can having outdated technology be a detriment to your company (end user), in this case...YES. The company I work for has issued statements to all clients in old, outdated copiers that use only smbv1 that they are willing to work with the client and have offered rebates for new technology as well as a liability statement that they are not libel for any malicious attacks on their hardware or networks by using out dated equipment that does not have the latest scanning capabilities.
    We have some Sharps out there from the Pastel and C- Dragon series that are using Sharpdesk with no issues, however, Sharpdesk is an FTP based program, which has security issues as well.

Now, from a mechanical aspect, a lot of these copiers still have a lot of life and it is unfortunate that they might have to be replaced because of this issue but the "wanna cry" virus and the rest that are coming, do not care about that. Could this issue be resolved by the manufacturers providing a simple firmware update? Hell... yes. But, there is no money in doing that, corporations are in it to make money, bottom line. Did I like Windows 95 and 7? Yes...but Microsoft is no longer supporting these OS. So, do I still continue to use them, no, I move to the next OS.

What gets me is some of the clients that are complaining about "leasing new equipment," they will pull up to the office, in a newer car that is in the high five digits or well into the six digit category, which they are leasing, then complain about leasing office equipment.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

If you want to stay current with 2019 mobile and Office 365 technology you have no chance when

Why would you expect manufacturers to try and support and hang onto discontinued product.

Seven years after discontinuation date and it is over. No more manufactures support.

I f you did not get the memo, the industry is into into selling new product. Not supporting old product.

We are not into trying to hang onto servicing discontinued product. It is too many models on the brain to remember.

I know there are lots of low end technology customers who do not care to save a buck also know as as used copiers resold.

I sold one today to make a quick $1,500.00 in profit and $750.00 in my pocket before taxes. Two hours work.

Six months from now some they will care. Technology, hackers and gov't regulations are relentless.

You really can"cheap out"today as a business owner on the lowest cost of goods but you will have to pay later on.

This is where I as a SalesServiceGuy have no patience with customers trying to hang onto old technology at a lower cost.

I have 20+ years of experience in this industry.

A copier is not usually used by one person in a workgroup but my multiple people all day long.

I do not care about the brand or where the customer is, if you do not want to spend the money on that one key piece of copier 2019 technology that your entire workgroup relies upon for productivity then I can almost gaurantee that business will ill feel the pain.

Business owners do make bad long term decision based upon short term revenues.

I have met plenty of business owners who do not have a clue about technology, I know have talked over their heads. Their business is plumbing, heavy equipment., framers, concrete etc. but I personally guarantee them a happy install until they sign off.

This is not a place to go to cheap but they are out of their league.

They need someone to put their trust in.

That is usually a ServiceGuy.

I am a SalesServiceGuy.

That is why I always earn more than $95k per year Canadian dollars.

I am both a Jedi warrior and and a valuable service tech resource. Rock on, dude! This is the real world Toshiba copier day to day duties. It may not be pretty but we get in done in 4-24 hours.
    Last edited by SalesServiceGuy; 02-07-2019 at 05:51 AM.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

We will keep a machine under contract as long as we can get parts. We will work on anything we can get parts for. We pick up customers when our competitors cut them off and say they can't get parts. We are the guys you come to when your contract provider gets pushy. Just imagine if car dealers did that and made you buy a new one every 7 years.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

This reminded me of Bama Tax Service. He had the last analog machine under a contract. I can't even remember the model. It was a Minolta clam shell type. When it was 13 years old, I tried selling him a newer one. "Damn it, Doug told me this machine would last 15 years!" was his response. He got a newer one last year. the Minolta was 17 years old.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    This reminded me of Bama Tax Service. He had the last analog machine under a contract. I can't even remember the model. It was a Minolta clam shell type. When it was 13 years old, I tried selling him a newer one. "Damn it, Doug told me this machine would last 15 years!" was his response. He got a newer one last year. the Minolta was 17 years old.
    We still have several AR-M237's( 16yrs) and an AR-337 (19yrs) still chugging along, however, next breakdown on the 337, it will be replaced. I remember installing that 337,....damn, I have been doing this a long time! I was sent to Sharp school for the 337-507 series, and remember thinking this series is the latest and greatest...seems like it was just last year! Sorry if I got a little off topic.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Wow! Did I have to much to drink on my last post/ rant! 16 rums. God bless my dead brain cells.

Not even good grammar structure.

Jedi warrior, that is the Rum talking at 2:00 AM! Ha Ha!

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    Wow! Did I have to much to drink on my last post/ rant! 16 rums. God bless my dead brain cells.

Not even good grammar structure.

Jedi warrior, that is the Rum talking at 2:00 AM! Ha Ha!
    😆 now, are you sober after a week to remember this? Must be one heck of a good Rum.
    Atleast your drunkenness is not at Dark side
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.