Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Re: Ever thought of ... different work?

Quote Originally Posted by skelband View Post
    These are interesting perspectives.
    I'm a recent joiner to these boards and I have been considering a move from my current career as systems programmer in a software house to something a bit more practical which is why I'm here.
    To that end, I have got a couple of old copiers free from Craigslist sellers that I have been working on, upgrading, experimenting on (as some of you know) to see if it is something that I would be interested in for a change in direction. So far, I've found it fascinating and it satisfies my need for something practical whilst also exercising my problem solving skills.

My current position is with a good company with decent people, but I'm finding that the work is boring and tedious and sitting in front of a desk all day is not great for my long term health.
    I might also say that I'm 52 so probably a difficult time to make a move like this.

One of the questions I was going to ask is how to get into the trade so-to-speak.
    Any advice? Stay away? Do it part time? Don't touch the job with a barge pole?
    From what i gather here. You would enjoy this a lot. But to make the bucks you need to do this for your self.
    CRD that is the answer if you can get in you use only one brand and limited models. The fact that you like the hands on means you will learn quickly.
    You come from an environment where you can relate well with the buyers of these companies where the IT department calls the shots.
    Sounds like you will be able to maintain the machines but even more important be able to craft workflow solution around all of this.
    Stuff like variable printing comes to mind and PS and PCL should be a breeze for you.
    Companies still need to print, mail and archive tones of documents and if some one can make that quicker cheaper and less painful you got the job.
    Fact is you only need 4 high volume machines printing around 2 to 3 million pages(total) a month to be able to make an ok living.
    But these are like running servers you need to be super prepared.

Konica Minolta offers great machines for the job starting with the Pro and Press range machines.
    Whatever

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Ever thought of ... different work?

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    Konica Minolta offers great machines for the job starting with the Pro and Press range machines.
    Yeah, the bizhub 200 that I have is old but seems to be well built and from what I have heard, pretty reliable. I'm less enamoured with its modularity or lack thereof. Upgrading it seems pretty Heath-Robinson: a card here; a power board there; a backup battery plugged in here...
    I also hear that KM are pretty software oriented compared to some of the others although the Canon that I have seems to have a lot of the functionality locked up behind licenses.

It had also occurred to me that a possible direction might be to work for one of the manufacturers in R&D, although I'm looking for some practical hands-on work, so may or may not be an aspect of the jobs that are available.

You guys have given me a lot to think about.

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts

At this time, every single day.
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

I work third shift at a factory now. I sorely miss the creativity that I had for 31 years as a tech as well as personally interacting with the accounts I worked with, but since the mothership sent me on my merry way I think I'll be fine in the fullness of time.

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts

Glad you found work, Gene - hang in there!
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Congratulations Gene! I'm sure you'll find some way to express your creativity ... maybe doing some recordings? I really enjoyed the one you did with your daughter. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

grumpy old git 500+ Posts banginbishop's Avatar

I don’t really come on here much mainly because of the question asked. I posted on here a few years back about getting out of this industry & I’m partly there. My partner and I set up a care home looking after adults with learning disabilities & are currently expanding to take on more clients (correct term is service users). I foresee myself working 5 years to pay off the mortgage and then I’m out possibly even quicker if it’s possible. I’ve come to hate the industry mainly because of in-house fighting and this industry is now on its arse I’m afraid, it’s dieing. It’s changed since I started in 1992/93 from analog to digital to solutions and now steadily going paperless. There is no fun or enjoyment and for me personally I despise, hate doing this job every day now.its a shame it’s come to this but there’s only so much I can take from higher up that seriously impact your working day in a positive and productive manner.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by banginbishop View Post
    I despise, hate doing this job every day now.its a shame it’s come to this but there’s only so much I can take from higher up that seriously impact your working day in a positive and productive manner.
    that 1st line I quoted should be enuff to tell you that you have "TECH BURNOUT"... I went thru that in Sept 2017...
    Boss was a lying/cheating/"Christian" (you know the type) that I had "walked out" 2 other times.. giving him three strikes *informed him of that 1st time* My STRESS was out the roof..BP UP... SUGARS UP and I was not a nice person around the house.
    Picking up odd jobs during winter here in NC.. getting minor things fixed.. fishing .. shooting..
    BP-Sugar-ATTITUDE all in way better shape since...
    his biz is tanking! *sniffsniff*
    If I do go indy ... i can start with a base of about 75

grumpy old git 500+ Posts banginbishop's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    that 1st line I quoted should be enuff to tell you that you have "TECH BURNOUT"... I went thru that in Sept 2017...
    Boss was a lying/cheating/"Christian" (you know the type) that I had "walked out" 2 other times.. giving him three strikes *informed him of that 1st time* My STRESS was out the roof..BP UP... SUGARS UP and I was not a nice person around the house.
    Picking up odd jobs during winter here in NC.. getting minor things fixed.. fishing .. shooting..
    BP-Sugar-ATTITUDE all in way better shape since...
    his biz is tanking! *sniffsniff*
    If I do go indy ... i can start with a base of about 75

Its not burnout, it’s no motivation, no desire, I just want out now. What started out was magical all those years ago, is now just a daily grind of sorry to say ‘I just don’t give a s#it’ attitude anymore. I won’t go into what’s gone on at my employers but I’m not the only one feeling like this, moral with the engineers is at a dangerously low level and management are not listening. I’m lucky as I have a way out but other engineers are stuck unless they can move into another field I think the days are numbered as engineers.

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by banginbishop View Post
    Its not burnout, it’s no motivation, no desire, I just want out now. What started out was magical all those years ago, is now just a daily grind of sorry to say ‘I just don’t give a s#it’ attitude anymore. I won’t go into what’s gone on at my employers but I’m not the only one feeling like this, moral with the engineers is at a dangerously low level and management are not listening. I’m lucky as I have a way out but other engineers are stuck unless they can move into another field I think the days are numbered as engineers.
    You just done summed up nicely my state of mind lately. I just wake up every day thinking "I wish I didn't need that money..."
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!