Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Ever thought of ... different work?

Re: Ever thought of ... different work?

Once I signed up for a job search email. I always keep job alerts for a company called Esko. They fix huge plotters for packaging using all sorts of material and substrates. Some of it is print some of it is laser etching. They pay really well and travel all over the country but I don't think I'm smart enough.

Quote Originally Posted by JR2ALTA View Post
    Once I signed up for a job search email. I always keep job alerts for a company called Esko. They fix huge plotters for packaging using all sorts of material and substrates. Some of it is print some of it is laser etching. They pay really well and travel all over the country but I don't think I'm smart enough.
    And yet these machine are designed and built by people no smarter then us.
    Whatever

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Ever thought of ... different work?

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    And yet these machine are designed and built by people no smarter then us.
    Fixing copiers is a challenge I'm up for. Doing chemistry or complex equations trying to fix a 5 million dollar machine ain't for me.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JR2ALTA View Post
    Fixing copiers is a challenge I'm up for. Doing chemistry or complex equations trying to fix a 5 million dollar machine ain't for me.
    You could at least fix the gasonics machines that clean and grow silicone wafers for nano-electronics.

Not really for me either....
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Years back (around 2005) I was out looking for something else than copiers. I saw an ad for Simplex. This is a national chain which has merged with Tyco, and Grinnell. The requirements were 2 year AA electronics or electrical (got it) computer skills (got it Comptia) 5 years customer service setting (had 15) take the employee profile (did well), take the employee technical exam (guy said highest score he had seen). Got the job, with one caveat. I lived 50 miles from their office. They said I had to establish residence within 10 miles of office. I said not a problem. Here is the kicker, I had to do that within one week. I said I have a family with 3 kids in elementary school and a mortgage. I would likely be commuting on my own time until school is out (3 months) Then likely I would have the house sold and already have leads on new home. The mgr said he would have to get corporate approval, but said likely not an issue (he wanted me on his team). A couple days later the mgr called and said I have 2 days left to relocate if I want the job. He was nice, but I told him to tell the corporate a$$holes to French Kiss My A$$.
    I've proved mathematics wrong. 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2.........

Especially when it comes to sex

Quote Originally Posted by tonerhead View Post
    Years back (around 2005) I was out looking for something else than copiers. I saw an ad for Simplex. This is a national chain which has merged with Tyco, and Grinnell. The requirements were 2 year AA electronics or electrical (got it) computer skills (got it Comptia) 5 years customer service setting (had 15) take the employee profile (did well), take the employee technical exam (guy said highest score he had seen). Got the job, with one caveat. I lived 50 miles from their office. They said I had to establish residence within 10 miles of office. I said not a problem. Here is the kicker, I had to do that within one week. I said I have a family with 3 kids in elementary school and a mortgage. I would likely be commuting on my own time until school is out (3 months) Then likely I would have the house sold and already have leads on new home. The mgr said he would have to get corporate approval, but said likely not an issue (he wanted me on his team). A couple days later the mgr called and said I have 2 days left to relocate if I want the job. He was nice, but I told him to tell the corporate a$$holes to French Kiss My A$$.
    Yea if the relationship with your employer starts there more of the same is sure to follow.
    Probably needed a ridiculous response time.
    Glad you priorities are in order.

So capable of other things yet we fix printers...
    Mmm we must secretly like doing it..
    Whatever

Technician

The value of your repair is in direct proportion to the cost of what you’re fixing. Years ago, I worked on TVs and stereos, that job category completely disappeared. The same has already happened with low end printers and copiers, and the remaining contracts for the larger machines will be more competitive than ever. At 60 years old, this was a bad time to be looking at a new career path for me, but I didn’t think my former company would need me much longer. At least I don’t have a family at home depending on my paycheck. That alone allowed me to try a different career. I wish all of you the best of luck in your current situation, I’m afraid you’re going to need it.
    Last edited by joeh; 06-24-2019 at 09:18 AM.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by joeh View Post
    The value of your repair is in direct proportion to the cost of what you’re fixing. Years ago, I worked on TVs and stereos, that job category completely disappeared. The same has already happened with low end printers and copiers, and the remaining contracts for the larger machines will be more competitive than ever. At 60 years old, this was a bad time to be looking at a new career path for me, but I didn’t think my former company would need me much longer. At least I don’t have a family at home depending on my paycheck. That alone allowed me to try a different career. I wish all of you the best of luck in your current situation, I’m afraid you’re going to need it.

You have nailed it. So what field have you landed in at 60? I also am that age, been snorting toner for 30 years. Don't know what else I could do and who would hire me at 60? Just glad I'm at the end of the road as the copier industry slowly bites the dust. One thing that slays me is the mps programs. We are trying to keep 10 year old throw away hp's running for customers under this plan. I don't see anyone making much money except salesmen on these.

I, myself, am thinking about entering my own self employment doing low cost IT work for smaller networks and mom and pops. I see a need there as many of them just get raped for IT. At least that is the plan for retirement, just work part-time and make an extra $1000/month to help pay bills.
    I've proved mathematics wrong. 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2.........

Especially when it comes to sex

Technician

I’m doing machine maintenance at a food processing plant. I was offered a job for probably 2 reasons, I was willing to accept a nite shift position, and I have some training as a machinist. This seems to be a pretty good opportunity for me, and I was happy to be hired.
    I did fill out several apps, but this was the only offer I had. Employers were not too impressed with my copier training, it doesn’t really crossover to anything else. The pay is better than my old copier job, and I think I’m the lowest paid employee in my department: completely fair, considering I’m really just a trainee for the first several months.