Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    certified scrub 500+ Posts
    Ever thought of ... different work?

coming up to 9 years, I dont think I want to be doing this when I'm 50. Pays the bills alright, but I've always wondered what different job is like.

thoughts?

Us animals are a breed of the nicest bunch that goes in and out of all sorts of offices, non profits, and schools. Takes brains and manners to do our work, yet we dont get treat like we are the sort.

Unlike batman, printers/mfp is what folks need, but hardly want to spend a dime on, what does that make of us?

a moment of reflection if you will, but I guess all jobs get to this point.
    Last edited by jmaister; 03-05-2019 at 04:17 AM.
    Idling colour developers are not healthy developers.

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts

Re: Ever thought of ... different work?

I'm in my 24th year in the line of work. Used to enjoy it, not so much now. Think of doing something else daily.

My big issue is with the big corporate mindset. I really thrived with an excellent mom 'n pop operation but big business doesn't jive with me. We are approaching fiscal year end and your butt tightens up waiting to see if you the next invitee for pursuance of opportunities outside the company. Sucks to feel that way.

Customers have turned consumer. They want everything for nothing and there is zero loyalty. Everything is a world ending emergency and there can be no one more important nor worse off. No ability to self-help and if they try they end up making things way worse.

My $0.02, and ya got what ya paid fer.

I have over stayed my welcome in this industry for way to long. There is no place for a guy like me in these setups.
    Leads to massive frustration time and time again. Developed this attitude if you can't do it right i will do it for you.
    Problem is you get overworked and unable to grow because you worked yourself out of breathing room.
    And truthfully its the easy way out...

Took me lots off courage to say fuck it i am done. Sabotaged myself again and just walked away with no plan.
    Well you become incapable to think past the hour because you now instead have this over developed capability to deal with a different kind of chaos every 45min.

Now i found a guy with a hand full of high volume machines that needs taking care of. That leaves me with lost of time on my hands.
    Believe me we can be a determined bunch. Still cant sit still took up electronic repairs, electronic design, drafting, parts design basic manufacturing and CNC machines... True art would be to sit next to the ocean for an entire day.

Been really good for me and now i have time to rehabilitate. Not touched a cigarette in 2 days!!
    Body is healed mind is much better.

This is very different for everyone here.
    If you hate what you do stop, you are no good to your self and the people around you.

Well this is an underappreciated skill but still an awesome skill to have.

My 3 cents.
    Whatever

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts kingarthur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmaister View Post
    coming up to 9 years, I dont think I want to be doing this when I'm 50. Pays the bills alright, but I've always wondered what different job is like.

thoughts?

Us animals are a breed of the nicest bunch that goes in and out of all sorts of offices, non profits, and schools. Takes brains and manners to do our work, yet we dont get treat like we are the sort.

Unlike batman, printers/mfp is what folks need, but hardly want to spend a dime on, what does that make of us?

a moment of reflection if you will, but I guess all jobs get to this point.
    I thought like you, no way am I doing this job at 50, in my 41st year, I enjoy the job, have a great bunch of customers.....but... discovered how bad my bosses really are, and how I mean absolutely nothing to them....40 years in the same job last year....got absolutely sweet F.A., apart from..."oh you've been here 40 years....why?" from my line manager.... Run Forest Run.....
    Tip for the day; Treat every problem as your dog would.....If you cant eat it or f*ck it....then p*ss on it & walk away...

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

It's taken a long time to learn the right mindset.

I took it really personal, for a long time. Then one day I realized that I was the only one that that took it personally. Every once in a while you come across someone that notices that you do high quality work. Most only want you in and out, with as little fuss as possible. It's hard to see at first, but there is some gray area between these extremes.

If I had figured this out in 1999 I might still be at Ikon ... or probably retired by now, since the pay was great. But alas it was not an easy thing for me to learn. =^..^=

Edit: What I was really going to say though was that I keep getting drawn back. Sure, like the rest of you I can do lots of other things, but the money always draws me back to copier service. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

I worked in the print industry for 30 years as a tradesman Bookbinder and I WAS where most of you guys are at now.
    Was fed up and looking for a career change.
    The local Canon dealer was advertising for a trainee so I applied and got the job.
    Stayed with Canon for 5 years and then switched to the local Ricoh dealer and haven't looked back (hate Canon boxes).

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Well over 30 years in this game and most of them with one company. I just dream of not working at all. I hit 65 this year so I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

I have done other types of work, warehouse, sales desk, supervisor in different industries. I do like the being a tech and haveing a bit of control over my workday. My territory is close to home and have some good work buddies.

The company and the management suck, big time. Also, I trade off having the close territory for working mostly on b/w machines, even though I have training and experience in color and network support. Retirement is about 4 years away, so I will just hang in there.

certified scrub 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    It's taken a long time to learn the right mindset.

I took it really personal, for a long time. Then one day I realized that I was the only one that that took it personally. Every once in a while you come across someone that notices that you do high quality work. Most only want you in and out, with as little fuss as possible. It's hard to see at first, but there is some gray area between these extremes.

If I had figured this out in 1999 I might still be at Ikon ... or probably retired by now, since the pay was great. But alas it was not an easy thing for me to learn. =^..^=

Edit: What I was really going to say though was that I keep getting drawn back. Sure, like the rest of you I can do lots of other things, but the money always draws me back to copier service. =^..^=
    I thought you said... You didn't stay for the money or something to that effect..but for glory? .somewhere

I guess somebody up top had change of heart? Or you became top cat? (congrats)

And I take things less personal now and Its not even that. Its... Society in general should value those that have patience to take on their problem, but in reality, no. We're just part of the package they sign. Show up when jamming, show up when erroring. We dont have the glistening reputation plumbers or carpenters have, arent even recognized as a official trade.

You say" my son is a plumber/carpenter"

They say"wow"

You say" my son is in office solutions"

They only nod...
    Last edited by jmaister; 03-07-2019 at 06:37 AM.
    Idling colour developers are not healthy developers.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jmaister View Post
    I thought you said... You didn't stay for the money or something to that effect..but for glory? .somewhere

I guess somebody up top had change of heart? Or you became top cat? (congrats)

And I take things less personal now and Its not even that. Its... Society in general should value those that have patience to take on their problem, but in reality, no. We're just part of the package they sign. Show up when jamming, show up when erroring. We dont have the glistening reputation plumbers or carpenters have, arent even recognized as a official trade.

You say" my son is a plumber/carpenter"

They say"wow"

You say" my son is in office solutions"

They only nod...
    There's the rub: There never is glory. I didn't ever expect there to be ... but maybe recognition?
    Like any technology related field it's a moving target, and you're always two steps behind because you spend all your time on 5-10 year old equipment.

The manual is a good place to start, but in the end we must all find our own solutions to problems. The manual is no magic book of secrets. The tech still must craft a solution. That's what makes this forum great: We can all share our 10 seconds of genius, with others that can appreciate the process involved.
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=