Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    "Damaged in Shipping"?

"Damaged in Shipping"?

Don't you just love it when UPS/FedEx/DHL deliver an A4 machine to your office, and the outside of the package looks like someone used it as a step ladder, or stunt man's crash box? Either that, or they were playing catch with the dang thing!!!

I opened the package with the driver standing right there, and thankfully the styrofoam inside the box did its job!! All of the styrofoam pieces on top of the machine were BROKEN in several spots... and when I removed the top cover of the box they fell all over the place, but they appear to have absorbed most, if not all of the damage.

Still had the driver mark it as "Possible Damage" just in case I discover something wrong when I set it up.

...I mean, it's not like I have anything ELSE to do with my day or anything.....

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Geo's Avatar

Re: "Damaged in Shipping"?

Quote Originally Posted by guitar9199 View Post
    Don't you just love it when UPS/FedEx/DHL deliver an A4 machine to your office, and the outside of the package looks like someone used it as a step ladder, or stunt man's crash box? Either that, or they were playing catch with the dang thing!!!

I opened the package with the driver standing right there, and thankfully the styrofoam inside the box did its job!! All of the styrofoam pieces on top of the machine were BROKEN in several spots... and when I removed the top cover of the box they fell all over the place, but they appear to have absorbed most, if not all of the damage.

Still had the driver mark it as "Possible Damage" just in case I discover something wrong when I set it up.

...I mean, it's not like I have anything ELSE to do with my day or anything.....
    In cases like you described, I always reject the box or make sure that damaged is notated We had one like you described, and only after very close inspection did we notice a bent frame..

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    "Damaged in Shipping"?

This was a collaboration:

One of my customers had the brilliant idea of placing an Okidata C9600 in box (without any packing), two units in separate boxes actually, and ship them from Florida to Michigan. There was an arrow "This Side Up".

So when the UPS guy can't lift the box , so he rolls it end-for-end all the way across the parking lot, and down the stairs into the lobby. The customer can't figure out what the hell the delivery driver is doing, so she takes a video of this genius rolling the box end over end.

This is where I come in. Both machines were on a long table. They looked like they had been used for target practice. The packages had been insured, and UPS agreed to pay for repairs.

I was able to make one functional machine from the two carcasses after only three hours, and the other got written off as a total loss. Broken top cover, several broken printheads, a cracked main board, and an explosion of toner.

Definitely damaged in shipping. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Bix's Avatar

Unfortunately it happens!
    Especially the toner explosions.
    For pollution reasons, we don't put plastic but we send the toner in a simple paper box. Sometimes the courier places heavier packages on top and the toner arrives broken.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    "Damaged in Shipping"?

"For pollution reasons" LOL

ALL involved in the printing copying world is polluting as hell as is the toner itself. Who the F cares about a bubble-foil or the like........

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    "Damaged in Shipping"?

Not sure why but if there are Fragile, This side up, Glass, etc labels they handle it rough on purpose. What a shame to hate your job that much. I thank God every day because I like my work but even if I didn't I don't think I would get much enjoyment from destroying a package for someone I don't even know!

"Damaged in Shipping"?

...and the story continues. (Not about the damaged machine....that's being addressed by the home office!)

Today I got in a process unit for a older copier... added the developer and installed it in the customer's machine.

....the drum has a dent in it!!!

....DiD yOu EvEr HaVe OnE oF tHoSe DaYs??

"Damaged in Shipping"?

Just had a huge $hitfight with Ingrams and HP over the number of A3 copiers that were found to be bent after they were unpacked. Since they were likely to be in our store for a week or two before being unpacked and run up Ingrams wouldn't accept responsibility claiming we didn't notify them within 24 hours and HP just kept saying "Thats funny, no one else has that problem"

Got to the stage that we wouldn't sign for them and let the truck driver go until the copiers had been unpacked and thoroughly checked. And a quick ring around the country to other dealers found out they were all having the same issues.

Then all of a sudden the copiers start arriving in bigger and sturdier boxes with pointy bits on top to stop them being multi-stacked. Looks like a multitude of DOA claims stung HP into action.

Shame the HP A3 copiers are still crap though.
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    Not sure why but if there are Fragile, This side up, Glass, etc labels they handle it rough on purpose. What a shame to hate your job that much. I thank God every day because I like my work but even if I didn't I don't think I would get much enjoyment from destroying a package for someone I don't even know!
    Re. Destroying someones mail/packages.
    I bet you would enjoy some sense of satisfaction though....

I was working in a transportation office one day when I saw all the mail room guys throwing a 12"x12" package around,dropping it on the ground from hieght,kicking it as hard as they could along the ground, throwing it 30-40 meters from one side of the building to the other while the distant bloke pretends to catch it but drop kicks it high in the air instead...

In shock I said to the blokes, "what the heck are you blokes doing?" "Oh! don't worry" they said "they're only DMV (Dept Motor Vehicle) speed cameras in these boxes". The same speed cameras that book all of us mail delivery guys...

"Weew is that all", I said "Thought it might have been something important..."
    Please continue on with your Ruby training...

I believe the above footy players have since moved on to other employment...

True story..... I kid you not....
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••