Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Internet Speed Liars!

Verizon is lying to me. They promised me a download speed of 50 Mbits per sec but
    I'm only getting 8 Mbits per sec. Yes they said it's not them it's me
    and using thier 'speed test' it's 30 Mbits-- my download manager shows it is less.

THESE INTERNET SPEED TEST ARE RIGGED.

After a bit of checking I found that NETFLIX has a speed test-- FAST.COM and
    that show's the TRUE internet speed. Alas arguing with Verizon is futile-they own Net Nuetrality and we're F.ed.

By the way most people don't know this:1 MB is one Mega Byte and 1 Mb is one Mega bit. 8 Mb = 1 MB.

Hey now I feel better!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Internet Speed Liars!

Re: Internet Speed Liars!

Download speed is not dependant on your ISP alone. It's primarily on the SOURCE of the data. Your ISP advertises optimal transfer capibility but it cannot draw blood (in your case, bandwidth) from stone.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Internet Speed Liars!

I had a similar experience and found out that the AVAST Antivirus software was eating most of the speed. After deactivating AVAST, the download speed went up to the level as promised by the provider.

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

There is a lot of "unknowns" in getting the advertised speed from any ISP. The computer itself, software running, browser, network adapter itself, wireless vs wired, protocol of the wireless, distance from the wireless, set the test is being run from, location where the test is from, etc...

Also don't forget cell strength of the actual signal. Not your data strength on the computer but what the phone or other hotspot device has for cell strength.

As you noticed if you use their site you get advertised speed but use another and you don't. Also depends on how the individual site conducts the test itself.

We use Verizon at work. I have a Google Pixel with 5G. At Speedtest.net and speakeasy.net I get 50Mb down and 10Mb up. Not sure what we are supposed to be getting but that is half of what I get from my Comcast which is about 90-95Mbs up and 10-15Mb down.

Quote Originally Posted by rbazan View Post
    Verizon is lying to me. They promised me a download speed of 50 Mbits per sec but
    and using thier 'speed test' it's 30 Mbits-- my download manager shows it is less.

that show's the TRUE internet speed. Alas arguing with Verizon is futile-they own Net Nuetrality and we're F.ed.

By the way most people don't know this:1 MB is one Mega Byte and 1 Mb is one Mega bit. 8 Mb = 1 MB.

Hey now I feel better!
    If you do a tracert function, you can see the hops & delays to communicate to the server. Open the command line & type "tracert google.com" minus the quotes. You will see the hops & times recorded. Internet Speed Liars!Internet Speed Liars!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
    REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html

Internet Speed Liars!

Agree with the other poster, there are many factors when it comes to internet speed. I have comcast Blast or whatever the fastest speed , like 250mb. On my old XP speed test download could be as low as 25 but with Win 7 & 10 it's over 200mbs. So the point being, there are a lot of factors determining the speed.

The upload speed is always around 10 no matter what computer so I think that is probably the normal speed.

Quote Originally Posted by rbazan View Post

Hey now I feel better!

your internet speed is.JPG

Internet Speed Liars!

Sorry to hear you can't resolve the slow speed. You have received some good advice here. 99.9% of the time it is the hardware. Do you really think Verizon is trying to cheat you with internet speed? Come on dude it doesn't cost them anything more to send a signal over a fiber optic strand. They are happy with the $150-200 a month from millions of customers. If you really are sure it's Verizon then have a tech come out and I believe their policy is you pay the service fee if it's not their fault. So if you are so sure it's them roll the dice and have the tech come out and show them!

I clicked "like" for your last post. Not for what you posted but the Maytag man as your avatar. There have been times when business is slow and I will tell people "I feel like the Maytag man". Now that I'm thinking about it I better only say that to people over 40, otherwise they won't know who the Maytag man is!!! Haha

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    Agree with the other poster, there are many factors when it comes to internet speed. I have comcast Blast or whatever the fastest speed , like 250mb. On my old XP speed test download could be as low as 25 but with Win 7 & 10 it's over 200mbs. So the point being, there are a lot of factors determining the speed.

The upload speed is always around 10 no matter what computer so I think that is probably the normal speed.
    Your internet speed is only going to be as fast as the slowest link/device/ bottleneck in your device chain!!! I've also got Comcast myself and am paying the lowest end data price of $49.99 per month...not paying the equipment fee...got my own modem & can easily upgrade my device at any time. I've had my modem get destroyed by lightning before...bought a new one at Walmart, called comcast with my account info & new modem MAC ID & I was up & running in 15 minutes. And yes, I like my download speed of 2.5 to 3.5 Megabytes per second!!!Internet Speed Liars!

REACH FOR THE STARS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    Sorry to hear you can't resolve the slow speed. You have received some good advice here. 99.9% of the time it is the hardware. Do you really think Verizon is trying to cheat you with internet speed? Come on dude it doesn't cost them anything more to send a signal over a fiber optic strand. They are happy with the $150-200 a month from millions of customers. If you really are sure it's Verizon then have a tech come out and I believe their policy is you pay the service fee if it's not their fault. So if you are so sure it's them roll the dice and have the tech come out and show them!

I clicked "like" for your last post. Not for what you posted but the Maytag man as your avatar. There have been times when business is slow and I will tell people "I feel like the Maytag man". Now that I'm thinking about it I better only say that to people over 40, otherwise they won't know who the Maytag man is!!! Haha
    Just an FYI, I was able to chat with an AT&T technician and out of curiosity I asked him if it was possible to run multiple colored lasers over a single fiber and his answer was "yes! Of course!!!" which would facilitate exponential data bandwidth!!! The Takeaway: data comm companies are FLEECING THE PUBLIC & SCREWING US OVER!!!Internet Speed Liars!

REACH FOR THE STARS!!!