Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    worker drone 250+ Posts

Re: Have some fun...Been in this biz so long....

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    How about flashing GP200 Image Processor EEPROMs with a null modem serial cable? Sometimes 2 hours on a bad day.
    I remember being fascinated that the updates were done by erasing chips abd burning new ones but on a K7050, it had like 10 screws to replace a filter that was done at PM time. (had to remove the back cover) yet they made a one screw access cover to replace the chips. I guess they thought updates would be more frequent than PMs. But I had been in the business 20 years by that time!

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Have some fun...Been in this biz so long....

Quote Originally Posted by BaconSteve View Post
    Sharp had a model 726 a LONG time ago that used ‘masters’ instead of a drum. The 740 also used masters and neither had fuser rollers. Just a series of lamps that the chain driven paper transport would pull the paper through. We used to call the fuser the ‘easy bake oven’.
    Then they had a model, can't remember the number maybe 760, that used two cold steel rollers that would click together when the trail edge of the copy exited them.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

HAVEN'T been in this biz so long (5 years). Haha, going to have to start my own thread "Ain't been in the Biz long enough" or another name for THIS thread "Things the Green Thumbs have no clue about".
    Lots of respect to you "older" guys. My Uncle (also my boss) has been in the game for 40+ years, and is a Plethora of knowledge. I breathe over his shoulder while he works on the old typewriters/ time clocks/ printers/ etc., because in this day and age, you can't hardly find anyone to "Train" you on those dinosaurs, and even though some of them are nearly extinct, there are still the old timers who want to use them and have them serviced. It's a dying "art form" being able to repair some of those ancient technologies, and I for one, want to absorb as much as I can. I love hearing what you guys used to work on, and then researching them and finding out how much of a PITA it was. Makes me thankful, and at the same time "shameful" because machines of today are much easier to work on, yet I can still get frustrated trying to find the right setting or whatever (usually just push some buttons), but back in the day you actually had to physically "set things" and what not.

Kudos to those of you still kickin ass in this day and age.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Here's another one I thought of, I remember changing the "light bulb" (yes a regular household style bulb) is a 3M secretary "dual spectrum process", it took about 5 mins for 1 copy! I believe this was the process, you would take a special coated pink sheet and with the original place on glass, turn timer for exposure, then take the pink sheet and place on top a blank special coated sheet, then feed both of them into machine for heat transfer.

I also remember most of what has been posted. I remember the "SharpFax" (they used fax in their model #'s "SFxxx" name for many years) 726 with the bunny brush, and pack of 10 masters, changed every 600 copies, maint kit was btl of dev, toner, and pack of 10 masters = 6,000 pages. Same principle with the SF-741, 10 masters, etc but was a disaster with master clamp jams! maximum copies at one time was 20, knob would ratchet down mechanically as "moving" exp glass touched it each time it scanned, and yes it scanned every time, don't forget this was before digital so no way to retain the scanned image.

Can't say I missed those days. And to think I was worried when they made the transition from analog to digital.

ha-ha keep adding to this post. Another thing came to mind, anyone remember the Sharp that talked? Had like 10 voice commands in a weird robotic voice. Every customer turned it off. Scared the hell out of a lot of secretaries in offices by themselves!
    Last edited by copyman; 04-29-2019 at 08:02 PM.

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts

At one time, replacing circuit boards was a weekly process. Always carrried a minolta pwb-c with me. Nowdays, I may replace a pcb once a year, if even that often. I also remember the 6090 (I think that was a Mita)) that approached possible issues by sending you modification kits that took 4 or 5 hours to install, and they released several of them. The customer used to hate seeing me cause they knew there machine would be down the rest of the day. How about a solvent tank to clean Toshiba liquid copier parts? Sucked. Oh, and the fact they used to catch fire occasionally when they had a fuser jam. Those were the days. Not.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Senior Tech 100+ Posts xring1958's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Then they had a model, can't remember the number maybe 760, that used two cold steel rollers that would click together when the trail edge of the copy exited them.
    The SF 760 had a print engine like the SF755 Organic Master Moving top two paper trays 2 modes enlargement and reduction. You may be remembering a machine made by Olivetti the Model 1000 an 1010 Had a steel pressure fuser no heat. Zinc oxide masters on a scroll inside the drum, Heated paper tray and feed rollers that turned to mush.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Polishing selenium drums, cleaning ozone from optics, duplex jams, restringing corona wires, lots of toner vacuuming, cleaning magnetic and spring clutches.

Drum shoe adjustments after prior tech turned up the charge corona voltage to darken the copies (so he could leave).

WD-40 mess all over the machine from some tech lubing the drive chain.

Melted fusing units from techs using solder in place of (or bypassing) thermal fuses.

worker drone 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
    Polishing selenium drums, cleaning ozone from optics, duplex jams, restringing corona wires, lots of toner vacuuming, cleaning magnetic and spring clutches.

Drum shoe adjustments after prior tech turned up the charge corona voltage to darken the copies (so he could leave).

WD-40 mess all over the machine from some tech lubing the drive chain.

Melted fusing units from techs using solder in place of (or bypassing) thermal fuses.
    You worked on Ricoh machines...can tell by the list of problems. polishing selenium drums...they promised us cancer but after all these years, still stuck doing this crap!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Rolls of feed tire tape, because to change out some of the half moon pick up rollers could take up an entire day to replace and if the clam shell pistons leaked, you wold need a pair of vise grips to hold up the copier (SF-8100- 8250 series) because if the thing was propped up by a screwdriver and it got knocked out it would either take you fingers off or leave a gouge in your arm. We called it the "guillotine".
    I remember when copiers were just copiers and remember when digital started to come out and they need Fiery's in order for them to connect to the network.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Coptech View Post
    You worked on Ricoh machines...can tell by the list of problems. polishing selenium drums...they promised us cancer but after all these years, still stuck doing this crap!
    That's correct, started on Ricoh/Savin and Xerox in the US Navy back in the 80's.