Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Technology

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Re: New Technology

Re. Compulsory Bike helmets.
    If my information is correct. Here in Australia there is talk from government of removing the compulsory wearing of bicycle helmets while riding a bike. The ongoing theft of school children's bike helmets and/or cost in fines from arrogant teens for not wearing their stolen bike helmet is non-manageable extra burden and cost passed onto the parents.

There is low statistical evidence that a polystyrene foam Cap, protecting only the top 15% of the bike riders head, provides any further safety or crash protection. If the bike helmet were the equivalent of a full face fibreglass motorcycle helmet, than the helmet protective issue argument might stand.
    IMHO, I cannot see how the equivalent of a beer cooler(polystyrene foam) sitting atop of some ones crown can fully protect any person. If a vehicle accidentally knocks over a person on bicycle, there is little to no protection from a single piece of material covered polystyrene foam.

All my children grew up using bicycle helmets, with equal knocks an bruises while using them.

I will however,forever defend the use of compulsory motorcycle helmets. I have had many to-close-to-call incidences while wearing a motorcycle helmet.

As an avid regular bicycle rider...
    My 5 cents worth....
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    New Technology

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    Re. Wally Tax vs Natural selection.
    No no, no wally-tax ,bad idea.
    A wally-tax would generate a consensus that wally's are not allowed to ride them.

Re. Darwin Awards.
    Nature has a way of removing the low end of the intellectual gene pool,
    so they can not procreate more of the same.

A wally-tax might inhibit natural selection...
    Product "Warning labels" are already inhibiting Darwin's theory. They keep stupid people alive long enough to breed, and vote!

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts
    New Technology

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    Re. Compulsory Bike helmets.
    If my information is correct. Here in Australia there is talk from government of removing the compulsory wearing of bicycle helmets while riding a bike. The ongoing theft of school children's bike helmets and/or cost in fines from arrogant teens for not wearing their stolen bike helmet is non-manageable extra burden and cost passed onto the parents.

There is low statistical evidence that a polystyrene foam Cap, protecting only the top 15% of the bike riders head, provides any further safety or crash protection. If the bike helmet were the equivalent of a full face fibreglass motorcycle helmet, than the helmet protective issue argument might stand.
    IMHO, I cannot see how the equivalent of a beer cooler(polystyrene foam) sitting atop of some ones crown can fully protect any person. If a vehicle accidentally knocks over a person on bicycle, there is little to no protection from a single piece of material covered polystyrene foam.

All my children grew up using bicycle helmets, with equal knocks an bruises while using them.

I will however,forever defend the use of compulsory motorcycle helmets. I have had many to-close-to-call incidences while wearing a motorcycle helmet.

As an avid regular bicycle rider...
    My 5 cents worth....
    I have read several studies on bike helmet safety and none of the were below 48% fewer serious head injuries. Meaning riders are at least 48% less likely to suffer a serious head injury while wearing a helmet, compared to not wearing a helmet. Seems fairly substantial to me.